Should you upgrade to iPhone 11 Pro if you have an iPhone XS?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    I always skip one generation. It's much more fun to experience the difference between 2 generations, vs 1, and reduces the cost to upgrade. 2 generations is already aggressive I think - I mean the iPhone X is nothing to sneeze at.
    This is what I do, but not because of the additional fun, but simply because that's where my value judgment lands me. I'm very pleased with the trade in value I got for a iPhone 7 to iPhone Xr. Same was true of the trade in of my 5s for a 7; before that a 4s to 5s, and 3g to 4s. Do I "need" and upgrade? Not this year. Maybe not next. But I do continue to assess and weigh the cost. YMMV.

This is true for all my tech. I have a nice, late 2009 iMac that works just fine for my needs. Would I like a 27" 5k display? Sure. For the price now offered? Not yet.

Apple Watch 5 looks nice, particularly in ceramic. I look down I what I consider a new Apple Watch 4 that replaced an original Apple Watch, then look at the price tag for the 5. Nope. 

Until I walk into an Apple Store,,,, Then my plans and logic die, die, die....
    edited September 2019 tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 39
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    I have the 7+ and still have no plans to upgrade even though I could get the 11 for 499 with trade in.
    If it aint broke don't fix it.  Besides I like the home button.  Camera?? I have a Nikon D850 no comparison.
    edited September 2019 rinosaur
  • Reply 23 of 39
    This year’s plain-Jane iPhone 11 is superior to a 2018 Xs, so the 11-Pro is heads and shoulders above the Xs. If there were not going to be an even bigger iPhone upgrade in 12 months, I would be willing to pay the incremental cost of upgrading from Xs to 11-Pro.
    I guess it is in many respects (camera, battery, processor)

but not in the screen resolution/type and size (XS is lighter with less bezel) category. Quite a difference there but is it worth the extra ££/$$ ?  Also the XS has a telephoto optical zoom lens whereas the 11 regular has wide and wider. 

11 standard though is over £300 cheaper.

I have an XS , and rejected the XR last year due to the screen, but I acknowledge the XR screen was better than I thought it would be when I saw it in person. But it really didn’t compete with the XS when you held them side by side. Neither would the 11. That probably doesn’t matter to most people though who would rather save a few hundred bucks/pounds etc. 

Going to go 11 Pro Max this year. Form factor change , plus stunning new cameras and huge battery gain make it a worthy upgrade. 

rinosaurwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 39
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    So can AppleInsider respect this typography? Nobody would say "IPod" (they would say "iPod") so why are we saying "XS"?
    It's a small thing, but I'd like seeing it. I thought once upon a time Apple had a font call Capitals, which was all uppercase letters, but had a smaller size to represent lower cares letters.

It's actually how I've been 'writing' for eons and when like an animal, I'm reduced to analog note taking or almost any time I have to 'write'. I print using all caps with large and small, approaching traditional printing. I print well, write terribly. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 39
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Ignoring the fact that I want an SE sized phone before upgrading again, I'd have to say I'd probably get the 11 Pro because it's smaller than the 11. That is a big for me. Otherwise there wouldn't be enough to get me to upgrade from an 11. I'd be very happy with a small 11 than a same sized 11.

But if I had anything between an SE or or 11 (obviously, I mean not inclusive) I'd jump on an 11 Pro.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Seems like a lot of us are unaware that there are Insurance companies that offer electronics coverage for your devices. The plan is an add to homeowners or rental insurance. The cost is much less than Apple care or the insurance offered by the telecom carriers. My plan covers theft, damage and if you lose your device. It has $50 deductible. If the device is beyond repair it will be replaced. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 39
    I thought Apple used a smaller-sized S than the X when talking about the Xs. I don't think it was lowercase S, I think it was what we call "Small Caps". Some fonts support small caps directly, but most text edit windows in web pages don't support it, so I can't demonstrate that here. I think the best compromise is to say Xs.

Apple's website makes this clear by virtue of the fact that their literature for the XR also shows a small but capital R next to the X. It's an uppercase small caps R.

So can AppleInsider respect this typography? Nobody would say "IPod" (they would say "iPod") so why are we saying "XS"?
    Apple uses regular caps as well as small caps when referencing the XR and XS. On the website they mostly use small caps but in the Apple Store app both letters are consistently regular caps. If it’s not that important to Apple, why should anyone care more than they?

It doesn’t make sense to use lowercase for the second letter because then you end up with Xr instead of XR.

It’s not reasonable to expect anyone besides Apple to take the time/effort to use small caps. 

It’s actually a settled issue, at least according to Apple. 

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/09/18/psa-its-iphone-xs-and-iphone-xr-in-all-caps/
  • Reply 28 of 39
    From 2007 onward, I’ve never skipped buying a new iPhone each year until now. I’ll be sticking with my XS Max thank you very much, but will start a new streak with next year’s model.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 29 of 39
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    5G 2020

edited September 2019
  • Reply 30 of 39
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    I'm on the iPhone upgrade plan. Yes I have to pay sales tax, but my monthly payments decrease by $22/month. 

Upgrading to the iPhone 11 Pro from the iPhone XS is a no-brainer. 

Your mileage may differ.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 39
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    spice-boy said:
    MplsP said:
    spice-boy said:
    spice-boy said:
    I was considering it by trading in my Xs with the crack back but unless I spend $600 including NYC sales tax Apple would not give me a dime for it. One should not have to pay $1000 for a product which you are suppose to carry around with you but then need to pay for insurance (Apple care) and a chessy silicon case which covers all that high end Apple design. Another glass back on these phones tells me Apple is making more money on repairs than the initial sale price. It's a scam.
    You do not have to pay $1000 and pay for insurance and use a silicone case. You are free to get a less expensive model if you feel you’re prone to drops. Or use an attractive leather case. Or if you want the top-tier and are prone to drops and you don’t want to use any case, then by all means get AppleCare, to not do so is foolish. 

But as has been explained to you, no, it’s not a scam. Glass back is for the conductive charging feature. Apple’s repair income is a rounding error to their enormous sales revenue. 

You dropped yours. You didn’t protect it. Get over it. There’s no one to blame but yourself.
    I understand your points, my point is the glass back is more for style and conductive charging, don't know anyone that charges with one of those unless, say at home. 
    As a finished consumer ready product the latest iPhones should not require a case if so then Apple should provide one the way it supplies a charger. The mat glass on the 11 models suggest they are attempting to correct the slippery glass problem that the XS and other models have. I always buy the top end model for camera improvements, 
    Actually, it's inductive charging. Conductive charging is what happens when you plug in the cord. And yes, the glass back is completely for inductive charging. Prior to the iPhone 8(?), when inductive charging was introduced to the iPhone they all had metal backs (except the 5c). Inductive charging won't work through metal. Period. it's not a scam, it's physics. 

I personally don't use inductive charging, but I know a lot of people who do. My brother in law's car has an inductive charger built in. There are plenty of drawbacks to it, but there are some definite advantages, too. 

As for a case, the iPhone doesn't require a case. It requires that you don't drop it onto a hard surface. Do you complain if you drop your laptop or desktop computer and it doesn't work? There are a multitude of different cases providing varying levels of protection and style. NO smartphone manufacturer supplies a case with their phone for good reason - everyone has a different preference. 

Thanks for that info, I don't usually drop my phone however I was at a restaurant with it sitting on the table top, a customer walked by moved my table and.... crack. Accidents happen but I mean 28" drop was enough to cause so much damage. It would be less than $200 to fix the screen which I wish had broken instead. A case defeats the purpose of the iPhones design, think of the hours and engineerings which goes into getting it to look the way it does, then it's wrapped in silicon? No thanks.
    Yeah, it stinks, but it's no different than having a car with a backup sensor and some guy rear-ending you or backing into you in the parking lot. You go to trade in the car and the dealer won't want the car unless you fix bumper and backup sensors. 

If you don't like the look of a case, fine, but then you have to accept the risk that something like that will happen.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 39
    I have an inductive charger flushed built in on my desk. It is pretty cool to just leave my phone on top of the mark area and it started charging. 

As for upgrading from XS, I think not many people do that - only for those who must have the latest will upgrade every year or people on Apple iPhone Upgrade program which are only available in US. Most people upgrade in cycles: every 2 years, a few do every 3 years and even fewer more than 3 years. Fortunately for Apple, it appears there are multiple cycle groups now. For example I didn't upgrade to XS last year because I have X, so it's time for me to upgrade to 11 this year. Similarly, people who upgraded to XS last year would probably wait for next year and skip this year.
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 39
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Loving my $200 iPhone SE and plan on keeping it until the wheels fall off.  By not upgrading iPhones over the next 5 years I can use that money for a down payment on a house.  
    edited September 2019 Carnage
  • Reply 34 of 39
    spice-boy said:
    I was considering it by trading in my Xs with the crack back but unless I spend $600 including NYC sales tax Apple would not give me a dime for it. One should not have to pay $1000 for a product which you are suppose to carry around with you but then need to pay for insurance (Apple care) and a chessy silicon case which covers all that high end Apple design. Another glass back on these phones tells me Apple is making more money on repairs than the initial sale price. It's a scam.
    your fault for dropping it yet you blame apple - way to take responsibility for your actions... blame everybody else, cause you had nothing to do with it..
    then come here and whine about it.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Year over year improvements are becoming more and more incremental. People who upgrade every year do so because they want to and have the means to.
    That's a fair comment and fits my own use case .. I don't have the means to :/
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Whether it shows potential for ARM Macbook then it is super. Benchmarks against A12X or A13X will be interesting.

Real question what kind of software you can run on it. If Apple has this problem solved, then they would probably made ARM Macbook already.

spice-boy said:
    PS defender of Apple save your breath or key strokes, I can predict your reaction since so many of you have lost critical thinking at this point and can't wait until the Apple mothership takes you home. PS it landed in Cupertino or somewhere nearby. 
    Lol. There is many plastic options on Android side, just pick up. I have no experience but not sure any producer offer wireless charging with metal back. I have case on my metal phone as well. Complaining about broken glass without case.... lol.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 39
    dewme said:
    Until smartphones become commodity or the manufacturers start to focus more on cost reduction around a static feature set there is always going to be something better coming out next year.

The good news is that much of the adaptability, flexibility, and functional diversity of these devices comes from the software. It doesn't really bother me if some of the apps that I rely on for my iPhone XS Max would run a bit faster or better on an iPhone 11 Pro Max or next year's iPhone 12 Pro Super Max 5G, as long as they keep running on my current hardware. So the real hard line decision point for whether to upgrade or not, for me at least, is more determined by software functionality and compatibility than hardware performance, new hardware features, and higher capacities. I can tolerate running slow or missing a new feature, at least to a point, but I cannot tolerate being left behind with old app and/or iOS versions that no longer serve my needs adequately. 

Apple maintaining a robust foundation for the software developer community (internal and 3rd party) to build their software apps on top of, and keeping the App Store in a healthy and profitable state is as important to me as bumping up the hardware specs on processors, radios, cameras, and memory.

The hard semaphore from Apple that "it's now time to upgrade" is when the device you are relying on is no longer on the supported list. I'm grateful that Apple kept the iPhone 6/6+ and iPod Touch 6th Gen on the supported list for iOS 12, and was hoping they would give them both a ride on the iOS 13 train, but it was not to be. When my iPhone XS Max gets bumped from the supported list I'll be compelled to upgrade, unless I succumb to temptation by something totally out of the blue showing up prior to that point in time.
    exactly the reason i am getting the iPhone 11 pro max as my 6+ has served me really well and apple continued software support of the 6+ gave me no reason to upgrade as it served my purpose adequately. but with no further support its time to finally upgrade. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 39
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    dougd said:
    I have the 7+ and still have no plans to upgrade even though I could get the 11 for 499 with trade in.
    If it aint broke don't fix it.  Besides I like the home button.  Camera?? I have a Nikon D850 no comparison.
    You have your d850 with you every day?  Yes, there is no comparison between 0 pictures and many pictures of decent enough quality.
    watto_cobra