Apple's iPhone 11 Pro batteries up to 25% larger than 2018 models, government filings show...

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2019
Filings with the Chinese Ministry of Industry and Information Technology's Telecommunication Equipment Certification Center (TENAA) reveal a handful of specifications relating to Apple's iPhone 11, 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max models, including significantly more capacious batteries on the top models.

A total of three TENAA regulatory filings for iPhone 11 (A2217), iPhone 11 Pro (A2200) and iPhone 11 Pro Max (A2223) were issued in late August and include photos of the phones, physical dimensions and a few tidbits regarding internal hardware. Sections of the listings are also reproduced in an overview of recent Apple filings posted to the TENAA database.

While many of the facts and figures were revealed by Apple in its iPhone unveiling last week, TENAA lists two unannounced, and as-yet-unconfirmed, specifications in handset battery capacity and processor memory.

Of note, iPhone 11 is supposedly powered by a 3,110 mAh battery, while iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max come packed with 3,046 mAh and 3,969 mAh cells, respectively. Those numbers compare to battery specs of last year's iPhone XR at 2,942 mAh, iPhone XS at 2,658 mAh and iPhone XS Max at 3,174 mAh.

While the iPhone 11 boasts a roughly 6% improvement in battery capacity, iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max see gains of 14.6% and 25%, respectively. The boosts to Apple's high-end handsets are likely the result of additional internal space gained from the removal of 3D Touch hardware, which was replaced in 11 Pro by software-based Haptic Touch technology.

Haptic Touch was introduced with iPhone XR and remains in the handset's successor, iPhone 11.

The TENAA records were spotted by MacRumors in a search of the filing system on Tuesday.

Also reiterated by the TENAA filings are RAM allotments of 4GB for each new iPhone model. System memory details of the A13-powered devices were first discovered in Geekbench benchmark listings on Monday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Oh, neat.  The folks onstage at the keynote neglected to mention that little tidbit when describing how they were able to extend battery life that long.  They gave pretty much all the credit to more efficient processor and OLED display.  :)
    netroxCarnage
  • Reply 2 of 20
    I guess this report FINALLY puts to bed the idea that the 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max actually have 4Gigs of RAM... not 6Gigs as many were hoping for.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Oh, neat.  The folks onstage at the keynote neglected to mention that little tidbit when describing how they were able to extend battery life that long.  They gave pretty much all the credit to more efficient processor and OLED display.  :)
    Can you quote them?

Gruber writes in his embargoed review that he believes they leveraged the space gained from the removal of the 3D Touch layer. He was at the event and did not think it came from processor efficiencies alone:

https://daringfireball.net/2019/09/the_iphone_11_and_iphones_11_pro

So to recap, here’s my theory. Last year’s iPhone XR didn’t have 3D Touch, so it had a bigger battery than it would have if it did, and that’s why it got noticeably better battery life than the XS models. The regular iPhone 11 gained one hour of additional battery life compared to the XR via various small efficiencies in the A13 chip and other components. The iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max have bigger batteries than their XS counterparts, using the space freed up by omitting 3D Touch. They benefit from the same small efficiencies that give the regular iPhone 11 one addition hour of battery life, plus a few more hours from bigger batteries. (The new 11 Pros are also about 0.4mm thicker than the XS models, and about 10-18 grams heavier. The thickness is negligible, but they’re about 7-8 percent heavier. Good chance that’s all battery.)

...Why this matters to you I cannot say, but he was able to sort it out. 
    edited September 2019 mwhiteneo-techdoozydozentmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    I guess this report FINALLY puts to bed the idea that the 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max actually have 4Gigs of RAM... not 6Gigs as many were hoping for.
    Doesn't more RAM use more power and therefore less RAM is better?
    racerhomie3AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    I don't think they did. No one was sure what the increase in battery life mainly came from. Some speculate its from getting rid of 3D Touch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I can't wait for people to forget this and claim that Apple only cares about making devices thinner.
    AppleExposedCarnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    I wonder, truly, if this was something that happened because of Ive's leaving the company--I wonder if this was not a part of his decision making.

• Reply 8 of 20
    Can you quote them?

Gruber writes in his embargoed review that he believes they leveraged the space gained from the removal of the 3D Touch layer. He was at the event and did not think it came from processor efficiencies alone:

So to recap, here’s my theory. Last year’s iPhone XR didn’t have 3D Touch, so it had a bigger battery than it would have if it did, and that’s why it got noticeably better battery life than the XS models. The regular iPhone 11 gained one hour of additional battery life compared to the XR via various small efficiencies in the A13 chip and other components. The iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max have bigger batteries than their XS counterparts, using the space freed up by omitting 3D Touch. They benefit from the same small efficiencies that give the regular iPhone 11 one addition hour of battery life, plus a few more hours from bigger batteries. (The new 11 Pros are also about 0.4mm thicker than the XS models, and about 10-18 grams heavier. The thickness is negligible, but they’re about 7-8 percent heavier. Good chance that’s all battery.)

He concluded that iPhone 11 had no increase in battery capacity, whyle the article above states "iPhone 11 boasts a roughly 6% improvement in battery capacity"
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    BlackHipsterBlackHipster Posts: 12unconfirmed, member
    1Gig of ram adds 79 cents to loss per phone for apple.
    SoundJudgment
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Ask Samsung. They're the King of Phone RAM usage.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Soli said:
    I can't wait for people to forget this and claim that Apple only cares about making devices thinner.
    Turning positives into negatives. It’s their job. Look no further than this very thread.
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20
    The phones are also heavier as well.  No doubt as a consequence of the larger battery.  
    Ultimately it gives longer battery life which is a reasonable trade off in my opinion.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Clearly, we’re all waiting for the iFixit tear down so we can know for sure!

From an engineering perspective it’s impressive when they can get more performance out of a processor for the same or less power, but from a user perspective, if they can fit all of the circuitry into 1 cubic mm so the rest of the space is all battery, I’m just as happy. Either way I don’t have to worry about charging my phone in the middle of the day. Like most things, I expect the truth lies somewhere in between. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Wow you guys will argue about just anything. 
    chemengin1AppleExposedrevenantCarnage
  • Reply 15 of 20
    So the force touch was reason to get rid of the headphone jack because "there wasn't enough room". So they delete lots of stuff but don't bring it back. I'm am sick of the billion dongles for my 8+ I need 2 just to charge on the plane it is a PITA and half the time the dongle (I have 2 sets) is in the wrong room. I would buy any new iPhone in a heartbeat if it had the headphone jack. I just bought a used iPad pro 2nd gen before they gutted the headphone jack.

And no I'm not buying new headphones - I have a nice pair of top of line studio monitors which cost hundreds and there is zero reason to replace them because Apple wants to sell air buds and Beats. Honestly the feds should just force all phone companies to put back headphone jacks - it's anti completive monopoly behavior.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 20
    So the force touch was reason to get rid of the headphone jack because "there wasn't enough room". So they delete lots of stuff but don't bring it back. I'm am sick of the billion dongles for my 8+ I need 2 just to charge on the plane it is a PITA and half the time the dongle (I have 2 sets) is in the wrong room. I would buy any new iPhone in a heartbeat if it had the headphone jack. I just bought a used iPad pro 2nd gen before they gutted the headphone jack.

And no I'm not buying new headphones - I have a nice pair of top of line studio monitors which cost hundreds and there is zero reason to replace them because Apple wants to sell air buds and Beats. Honestly the feds should just force all phone companies to put back headphone jacks - it's anti completive monopoly behavior.
    LOL!
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 20
    urahara said:
    Can you quote them?

He concluded that iPhone 11 had no increase in battery capacity, whyle the article above states "iPhone 11 boasts a roughly 6% improvement in battery capacity"
    His conclusion was since Xr didn’t remove any elements (3D Touch) it likely only saw a slight improvement due to efficiency improvements. I doubt a 6% increase in capacity would yield an entire hour of additional life so I have no reason to doubt his conclusions.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 20

Incorrect, force touch came prior to the 7. 

There is no reason to buy new headphones if you have a favorite pair. Simply sick the minuscule, cheap adapter that downgrades the digital port into a legacy analog one. Keep it attached to said headphones. 

There is neither anything anti competitive nor monopolistic about replacing an analog port with a digital one. It’s not tied to any brand as you can use any BT or traditional wired headphone. Do you know what the words mean?
    edited September 2019 fastasleepAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 20

Just attach the adapter to your headphones and don’t remove it. That’s what I did with my wired headphones and it literally was not a problem. 
    StrangeDaysAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 20
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

iKnockoff users believe more RAM is better even if they have no idea what RAM is.

Are you being funny or serious? Can't tell.
    watto_cobra