Apple touts rave iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro reviews

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    The small white spots are most likely light-reflections from the zillion bright little lights in the event; like a jewelry store.

I thought they were blemishes too at first....
    DscheyH said:
    The shown iPhone image on top of the article looks like there are small (white) scratches near the edge. What happened?
    I think that photo came from the hands on at the Apple event. It might be lint or the unit got a bit scuffed.

E.

Is it known if the two cameras the 11 uses are the same as 2-out-of-3 in the 11 Pro's?  One wouldn't get super-wide, but at least what it does take is equally clear as it's big brother?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 36
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    Notsofast said:
    avon b7 said:
    DscheyH said:
    The shown iPhone image on top of the article looks like there are small (white) scratches near the edge. What happened?
    I think that photo came from the hands on at the Apple event. It might be lint or the unit got a bit scuffed.

NO, just reflections
    Ah! I see what you mean.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    avon b7 said:
    DscheyH said:

They are quite obviously reflections of spot lighting in the viewing area. Or, uh, scuffs...yeah, that’s the ticket. Brand new glass iPhone is all scuffed and chipped. Crap product materials, right?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 36
    avon b7 said:
    DscheyH said:

They are quite obviously reflections of spot lighting in the viewing area. Or, uh, scuffs...yeah, that’s the ticket. Brand new glass iPhone is all scuffed and chipped. Crap product materials, right?
    It's very clear now that you've never been at a product hands on. All kinds of things can happen. I once saw someone rub a phone down his cardigan to take off fingerprints only to remember he had a zip on it and left a groove in the factory installed screen protector.

Product materials have nothing to do with anything.

In this case, if they are reflections, fine. Take it easy.
    muthuk_vanalingamchemengin1
  • Reply 25 of 36
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    DscheyH said:

It's very clear now that you've never been at a product hands on. All kinds of things can happen. I once saw someone rub a phone down his cardigan to take off fingerprints only to remember he had a zip on it and left a groove in the factory installed screen protector.

It's funny that you actually haven't commented on the reviews.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 36
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    DscheyH said:

I haven't seen one yet. I read the 5,000 word Gruber 'review' but it wasn't really a review IMO. Apple seems to have caught up a bit but hasn't really stormed the gates of the castle as it were.

Things that have been commonplace on competing phones are now finally showing on an iPhone. At last!

A little late to the party but for iPhone users something to celebrate. The most important thing is that they are (almost) here.

When the real reviews start arriving (I mean from people that have actually been using them for a few weeks -Gruber had his for only a few days when he wrote his piece), I believe, we will have something to go on.

chemengin1
  • Reply 27 of 36
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    The camera is the main reason I am getting the ProMax  to replace my XS Max.  Getting the 256GB  capacity this time ... the first time I'll be getting past the 64GB capacity.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 36
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    DscheyH said:

I haven't seen one yet. I read the 5,000 word Gruber 'review' but it wasn't really a review IMO. Apple seems to have caught up a bit but hasn't really stormed the gates of the castle as it were.

Things that have been commonplace on competing phones are now finally showing on an iPhone. At last!

A little late to the party but for iPhone users something to celebrate. The most important thing is that they are (almost) here.

When the real reviews start arriving (I mean from people that have actually been using them for a few weeks -Gruber had his for only a few days when he wrote his piece), I believe, we will have something to go on.

"When the real reviews start arriving". 

Yet another cheap shot from Avon B7.

Most of the reviewers have had them for a week prior to the NDA allowing them to post, and given the intense interest, have been putting many hours and days into usage and creating and posting the reviews.

I'm sure you are waiting for the Mate 30 Pro to be released and reviewed.
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Right, so it’s confirmed. “Night Mode” is just a long exposure with some smarts to try and reduce the effects of camera shake.
    • iPhone 11, like many other “night modes” across phones, has issues with moving subjects. It’s best if no one is moving or they are moving only very slightly. This can vary depending on the length of exposure, from 1-3 seconds.
    • On a tripod or another stationary object, Night Mode will automatically extend up to a 10-second exposure. This allows for some great night photography effects, like light painting or trailing.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Wasn’t that Tokyo piece amazing!
    it really is incredible what you can do with a iPhone camera these days. 
    Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 36
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    DscheyH said:

"When the real reviews start arriving". 

Yet another cheap shot from Avon B7.

Most of the reviewers have had them for a week prior to the NDA allowing them to post, and given the intense interest, have been putting many hours and days into usage and creating and posting the reviews.

I'm sure you are waiting for the Mate 30 Pro to be released and reviewed.
    Cheap shot?

I answered your question honestly!

I said I'd only seen one review so far and in spite of its length it basically compared the new phones to last year's iPhones which were lacking in other areas and didn't go into much depth.

I haven't been in every iPhone piece pissing on the party. You (everybody) has reason to celebrate because if you are upgrading from an iPhone there are notable changes to be had.

I understand that.

I've lost count of the number of times I've read here and elsewhere that tri-cameras, Night Mode etc  were available on the Google Pixel or some Samsung phone when in reality it was a leading advance from Huawei long before those phones. You haven't seen me riding in waving a Huawei flag just for the sake of it. No. As usual, I've picked up on some (not all, by a long shot) false statements and corrected them - fairly.

I don't take cheap shots.

Here's a reality shot for you. A long time ago when Huawei introduced everything that makes its low light technology so famous today, they often didn't even bother putting the iPhone output into the comparison! They basically said the iPhone took a black photo. The times they could put something into the presentation, the difference was so staggering that from fifty metres away you could see the difference. Back then this was big news. Now, it isn't, in the wider handset world.

You know, people in China were surprised to see the P30 Pro pop up in the Apple keynote comparing performance. This was the first time that had happened.

Did Apple put up P30 Pro shots to compare with the new tentpole camera features on the iPhone? If they didn't, ask yourself why not?

I can guess one reason if they didn't compare the two directly. When this was 'new' it was big news. We knew all about it at the time. Since then, Night Mode has arrived on a heap of Huawei phones (including mine!). I've been taking better low light photos than the XR for nearly a year (at half the price and double the storage!).

Back then the difference was abysmal. Now it isn't (until tomorrow maybe, LOL). It's as simple as that. Now you'd have to take a close look at the output but people don't do that so Apple is back with the 'good enough' problem.

So, how does the new Apple Night Mode stack up against the P30 Pro from earlier this year?

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/149390-iphone11-vs-pixel-vs-p30pro-night-mode-camera-comparison

Battery? My half-cost, almost two year old phone will still probably best the newest iPhones in charging. And I just read that the iPhone 11 still comes with a 5W charger! Is that true?

Finish? So much teeth gnashing when I suggested Apple should up the ante on shell design/finish. What happened? Apple presented another range colours and finishes and Gruber dedicated an entire block to the subject. It matters!

Are the new phones ugly? You bet. They just aren't as ugly as they could have been. It's a personal thing though and very few anti Android folks will ever admit to it. Personally I'm not a fan of this design that everyone seems to think is beautiful:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-gets-schooled-in-design-by-Porsche-Design-Mate-30-RS-in-leaked-render.434850.0.html

It looks better than the iPhone, though (IMO).

Mate 30 Pro? Ah! The elephant in the room, some might say.

Yes, it's coming tomorrow. We know a lot about it already and it is a jaw droppingly, sexy beast! Whether it lives outside China or not is another matter but you can be guaranteed a string of memes comparing it to the iPhone 11.

Features? I know the same as you. On paper and according to rumours, some seem just impossible. We will see and wait for the reviews on that one too.

What counts is what I've always said - competition.

Thank Huawei and Samsung for that.

Cheap shots?

Nope.
    edited September 2019 chemengin1muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 36
    hentaiboy said:
    Right, so it’s confirmed. “Night Mode” is just a long exposure with some smarts to try and reduce the effects of camera shake.
    • iPhone 11, like many other “night modes” across phones, has issues with moving subjects. It’s best if no one is moving or they are moving only very slightly. This can vary depending on the length of exposure, from 1-3 seconds.
    • On a tripod or another stationary object, Night Mode will automatically extend up to a 10-second exposure. This allows for some great night photography effects, like light painting or trailing.
    What else did you think it was? Ya canna argue with the laws of physics mon!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 36
    hentaiboy said:
    Actually no.

"But with iPhone 11 Pro the rules are different… it’s not capturing one single continuous frame but blending a whole bunch of shots with variable lengths (some shorter exposures to freeze motion and longer shots to expose the shadows.) This means the subject can actually move during your exposure but still remain sharp.

I’m sure some of you are wondering, “well this is cool for handholding but what if you want to do light trails?” The iPhone actually detects when it is on a tripod and changes exposure method so that light trails and movement can still be captured."

~Austin Mann, Photographer.

edited September 2019 tmaySoliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 36
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    yuck9 said:
    Last few days all I've read is how great the camera is. Ok, It's good/great. Why not review how other things work. How about the number one reason we buy them. The phone. How is it, Reception problems, etc. The camera is not the only reason people buy it. How is the Wi-Fi speed ?

Thanks for re-quoting the entire story, btw, Grandad. I suppose we should be grateful you didn't just re-type the whole thing in ALL CAPS while you were at it, lol.

As others have pointed out, the "phone" part of any smartphone (not just the iPhone) is generally its least-used feature. Dunno if you've heard, but there's this thing called "texting" that's kind of taken over for communication among the under-70s. "Reception problems" are nearly 100 percent down to carrier/cell tower coverage, at least in the last decade, and the sound quality would put any existing remaining land-line telephones to shame. Particularly on FaceTime Audio, I'm often quite startled at how much a caller sounds like they are standing right next to me talking -- that's how good it can (and often does) sound.

Second, Wi-Fi speed is entirely dependent on ... wait for it ... the speed of that particular Wi-Fi network and things like how far away it is, and again has nearly zero percent of anything to do with the smartphone (again, true of any smartphone). Perhaps you meant cellular data? Again, mostly (but not entirely, in this case) down to proximity to towers. It is certainly true that Apple has used some LTE modems that aren't quite as fast as some Qualcomm modems, but in real-world use this was and remains a practical non-issue -- you're never getting absolute optimum speed from a cell data network unless you're in a lab somewhere standing next to the transmitter (see also: 5G).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 36
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    lostkiwi said:
    I came on here to say the same thing, but had to skim past the bickering children first. Absolutely beautiful! I’m going to Tokyo next summer and I can’t wait. 
    watto_cobra