iPhone 11 Pro Max has new battery design, ditches L-shaped motherboard

Posted:
in iPhone
A teardown of the iPhone 11 Pro Max reveals some design changes for 2019, including a different shape in the battery, and the return to a rectangular iPhone motherboard.

The teardown, by Vietnam-based YouTuber Dchannel, depicts the new parts in the iPhone 11 Pro Max. As predicted, the iPhone 11 Pro Max has reverted to a rectangular motherboard, instead of the L-shape that debuted in the iPhone X.

Notably, the motherboard is smaller, and appears to have fewer connection points than the iPhone XS Max board. Apple, like most smartphone manufacturers, relies heavily on glue to secure batteries and other components, however.

Additionally, the video shows the larger battery in the model, versus what was used in the 2018 iPhone XS Max. In what appears to be a single L-shaped cell, the battery is 3969 mAh, up from the 3174 in the iPhone XS Max.

It isn't yet clear if the L-shaped battery is a single cell, or still two, with a less discrete exterior divider.

Fundamentally similar to the 2018 iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, the iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max were revealed at Apple's "By innovation only" event at the Steve Jobs Theater on September 10. Equipped with new Super Retina XDR 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch OLED displays, the new models might look similar to their predecessors, but add significant speed improvements and new functions like novel camera capabilities.

The iPhone 11 Pro Max comes in silver, gold, space gray and new midnight green finishes. Regardless of finish, the iPhone 11 Pro Max begins at $1,099, and will ship to users on September 20.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Pretty impressive, actually.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Very impressive. Good video, as well. Happy to see it at 60fps. Didn't understand a word (well, iPhone was plain enough) but it took me back years.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    My all-time favorite anecdote about the iPhone was regarding Blackberry's disbelief that the original iPhone could do everything promised and last longer than about an hour. “They were expecting a computer with a battery attached to it; they opened one, and found a battery with a computer attached to it."
    SoundJudgmenttmayronnrandominternetpersondoctwelvewlymStrangeDaystannertannertannerFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    25% more battery capacity is leading to how much % more in battery life in daily use? Somewhere it says 5 more hours than the XS max. That would mean 25 instead of 20 hours?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Big boost for new Watch battery too I suspect. If you disable the "always on" screen function in new release, should noticeably improve life btwn charges
    netroxllamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Folio said:
    Big boost for new Watch battery too I suspect. If you disable the "always on" screen function in new release, should noticeably improve life btwn charges
    That’s what I would do with the new watch. 
    llamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Folio said:
  • Reply 8 of 10
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Well there you go - a bigger batter gives longer battery life. Who’d have thunk it?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    seankill said:
    Folio said:
    The always-on mode removes moving elements, dims the display, and lowers the refresh to 1Hz. If I'm still charging it daily (along with my phone), I don't really see much value in what disabling that offers? Still needs a routine (likely daily) charging cycle.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    seankill said:
    Folio said:
    The always-on mode removes moving elements, dims the display, and lowers the refresh to 1Hz. If I'm still charging it daily (along with my phone), I don't really see much value in what disabling that offers? Still needs a routine (likely daily) charging cycle.
    Depends on how you use it. I normally charge my watch every day, but sometimes need to go 30+ hours on a charge. Certain activities take more battery, too. Being able to turn off the display to conserve battery would be nice. It could also extend the useful life of a device with a marginal battery. 
    watto_cobra