Bob Iger: Disney and Apple likely to have merged if Steve Jobs was alive

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    This would have been an INCREDIBLE outcome for Apple.

Even more so now, given Apple move into film/TV content. 
    AppleExposedSpamSandwich
  • Reply 22 of 74
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    macxpress said:

macxpress said:
    Wait does he mean Disney and Apple would have merged together? If that's true....LOLOLOL! I seriously doubt that. I don't see any reason what so ever how that would benefit either company. I don't care how well the relationship was between Bob and Steve. It's totally different from Disney taking over Pixar which actually made sense. 

Right? Apple would never get into selling media!! They are a computer company!!! LOLOLOLOL!!

netrox said:
    Pixar was just animation studio bought by Disney when it succeeded. It makes absolutely no sense to think that an entertainment company would merge with a software/hardware company.
    Right? Apple would never get into the entertainment business!! They are a phone company!!!!!1111

I guess you forgot that Apple is not just AppleTV +. Sure it would have helped that, but how is merging or taking over Disney going to help sell iPhones, Macs, Apple Watches, HomePods, etc. It won't. It's not like Disney taking over Pixar which completely made sense as they were using them anyways. 

You're not making any sense at all. Just because you wish it would have happened doesn't mean it makes sense for either party. 

So TV+, does it exist or not?
  • Reply 23 of 74

I feel like it could still happen.... somehow.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 24 of 74
    I said this a few articles ago. Wish Steve was alive. Apple TV+ and Disney+ would be one service.
    ...and ESPN (ABC, however, would be eminently jettisonable). 
    AppleExposedSpamSandwich
  • Reply 25 of 74
    Well duh. 

Jobs had a controlling share in most of disney - granted to him when he “sold” Pixar, which was trouncing Disney at the box office. Disney was desperate and Jobs saved the day. I think it was 51% of the company shares? Dude was owning. 

He would have taken disney and used that as Apples entertainment content brand much like they did with beats. Only Disney would have fared better. Not sure jobs would have even bought beats. 

Iger would he be working for Steve. 

Steve Jobs has such clear vision. It’s really difficult to gain that kind of clarity. But he had it. 

Apple would have assimilated Disney and it would have been grand. 
    Jobs received just over 7% of Disney I believe which his widow still owns. 
    I think she got rid of a fair amount. 
  • Reply 26 of 74

I feel like it could still happen.... somehow.
    Can you imagine the combined annual content spending capacity of Apple+Disney... it would easily overtake that of Netflix or Amazon. Additionally, the entity would have an incredible legacy library. 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 27 of 74
    Actually a merger would have made / makes a lot of sense.  Content companies merging with hardware is not unusual. Sony is one example.  Yes, Sony isn’t as successful as they should be these days, but don’t blame that on the idea.  Comcast owns the network and the content.  

The challenge they would face is claims of monopoly. 

Disney also had humble beginnings like Apple. They have a trove of content, media outlets, real estate, theme parks and more.  Both have a storied history of seeking excellence and careful attention to detail. Take a look at their theme parks compared to others and you will quickly notice their effort to maintain them that far surpasses others.  It is rare to even see a handrail that isn’t perfectly painted and kept that way. 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 28 of 74
    The merger between Disney and Apple makes sense on many levels. You have Disney producing content and Apple making devices for its consumption. It could be an unbeatable combo, Apple pro tools to create content, built out further for production houses which they have largely pulled out of now vs the consumer focus of the business now. Bundled Disney content with hardware for consumers giving them a leg up in Sales against competitors. Sony tried to achieve this in the 80s, it had the studios (music & movies) it made the pro production gear and the consumer gear to play it on. They just couldn't get out of there own way with DRM rubbish which was a big factor in it failing. If anyone could make it work it would be these two CEO's. If you think it doesn't make sense it might be why Bob and Steve lead/led billion dollars companies and you are commenting on about how it wouldnt work on a website...lol. And yes I realise the irony of that statement.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    Well he knew Jobs better than me (which is not at all) but it sure seems like Pixar and Apple were different beasts. Jobs founded Apple in a garage rather than as an investor later in its life, and he nursed it back from the brink to a skyrocketing future. The iCEO became the famed phoenix rising from the ashes...Why sell it?
    It wouldn’t have been Steve selling Apple. 

Thats ridiculous.

It would have been Apple assimilating Disney
    Agreed except this from the opening paragraph suggests Disney doing the assimilating, thus my comment that it doesn’t make sense. If that isn’t what they meant perhaps it could be rephrased.

Iger in an upcoming memoir says he believes his relationship with late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs would have led to a merger between their companies, similar to Disney's assimilation of another Jobs company, Pixar. 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 30 of 74
    If Steve Jobs were alive today, I imagine he'd more likely be in cahoots with Elon Musk than with Bob Iger.
  • Reply 31 of 74
    wanderso said:
    Actually a merger would have made / makes a lot of sense.  Content companies merging with hardware is not unusual. Sony is one example.  Yes, Sony isn’t as successful as they should be these days, but don’t blame that on the idea.
    Actually, a lot of people blame Sony’s demise (as a legendary hardware company) on their finger in the content pie. They crippled hardware like the Sony Minidisc in order to prevent unauthorized content copying, DRM, etc. They did similar things with their Sony Media Sticks or whatever. Their gimped hardware just never caught on and they lost their momentum, never recovered. 
    edited September 2019 ronn
  • Reply 32 of 74
    I said this a few articles ago. Wish Steve was alive. Apple TV+ and Disney+ would be one service.
    Why?
    Jobs owned Disney and was the CEO of Apple.

Wrong. Jobs owned 7.4% when he sold them Pixar. That’s not remotely close to a controlling share.

So...why would they be one service? Why would Disney be anything other than one more content service piped onto the platform as it is today? Or do you mean to say Jobs could have convinced the other 82% of the stockholders to sell? Perhaps but there are so many factors who can say. 

Well duh. 

Jobs had a controlling share in most of disney - granted to him when he “sold” Pixar, which was trouncing Disney at the box office. Disney was desperate and Jobs saved the day. I think it was 51% of the company shares? Dude was owning. 
    Except, he didn’t. Google is your friend. 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 34 of 74
    rcfa said:
    If Steve were alive, another inverse merger would have happened, and Disney would be an Apple division 
    No.
    AppleExposeddavgreg
  • Reply 35 of 74
    Why?
    Jobs owned Disney and was the CEO of Apple.

Wrong. Jobs owned 7.4% when he sold them Pixar. That’s not remotely close to a controlling share.

So...why would they be one service? Why would Disney be anything other than one more content service piped onto the platform as it is today? Or do you mean to say Jobs could have convinced the other 82% of the stockholders to sell? Perhaps but there are so many factors who can say. 

Well duh. 

Except, he didn’t. Google is your friend. 

He was still the biggest owner. Not as pie-in-the-sky as you want to believe it to be.
  • Reply 36 of 74
    I'll say it as an Apple Engineering alum and NeXT alum, Bob is fucking high. Steve allowed PIXAR to be sold to Disney if and only if he picked the CEO. He was 100% committed to Apple moving forward and wanted the best conglomerate to oversee PIXAR and it was obviously Disney.

The other shit is laughable. Steve had a succession plan the moment he found out he had cancer and it sure as shit wasn't to merge with Disney. He wanted his legacy to be firm and that was Apple as Apple and not Apple as the next IBM.
    macxpressronnAppleExposedStrangeDayselectrosoftdavgreg
  • Reply 37 of 74
    macxpress said:

macxpress said:
    Wait does he mean Disney and Apple would have merged together? If that's true....LOLOLOL! I seriously doubt that. I don't see any reason what so ever how that would benefit either company. I don't care how well the relationship was between Bob and Steve. It's totally different from Disney taking over Pixar which actually made sense. 

Right? Apple would never get into selling media!! They are a computer company!!! LOLOLOLOL!!

netrox said:
    Pixar was just animation studio bought by Disney when it succeeded. It makes absolutely no sense to think that an entertainment company would merge with a software/hardware company.
    Right? Apple would never get into the entertainment business!! They are a phone company!!!!!1111

I guess you forgot that Apple is not just AppleTV +. Sure it would have helped that, but how is merging or taking over Disney going to help sell iPhones, Macs, Apple Watches, HomePods, etc. It won't. It's not like Disney taking over Pixar which completely made sense as they were using them anyways. 

You're not making any sense at all. Just because you wish it would have happened doesn't mean it makes sense for either party. 

So TV+, does it exist or not?
    Of course it exists, but its not Apple. It's a very very small portion of Apple and it's not going to be the primary thing Apple does or anything close. You're not getting it. 

So please explain to all of us why this could benefit Apple as a WHOLE...not just with Apple TV+. 
    ronnAppleExposed
  • Reply 38 of 74
    Does no one realize that Sony is a company that makes media and sells electronics? The idea of a Disney-Apple merger isn't without precedence. 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 39 of 74
    ebaierl said:
    Does no one realize that Sony is a company that makes media and sells electronics? The idea of a Disney-Apple merger isn't without precedence. 
    Just because one company does it doesn't mean Apple should do it too. And other than TV's what else does Sony sell that is successful?

What benefit would it be to Apple other than AppleTV+?
    edited September 2019 ronnStrangeDays
  • Reply 40 of 74
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    [...]

Iger goes on to detail his relationship with Jobs, which grew from tenuous beginnings prior to the Pixar buy to a strong personal bond that informed a number of key decisions in Disney's modern history.

[...]
    A “strong personal bond.”  Having been handed a cool $6 billion for Pixar, Steve might have been feeling the warm fuzzies for Disney and Iger.  So YEA, of course the relationship would have improved.