Xcode confirms Apple Watch S5 CPU is the same as S4, 10.2-inch iPad has 3GB RAM

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    Sounds like their expertise in power management software is the big differentiator now. They wouldn’t have been able to offer an always on display just a year ago.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 46
    Sounds like their expertise in power management software is the big differentiator now. They wouldn’t have been able to offer an always on display just a year ago.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    I guess all that R&D money is going to new band styles...

My guess, yes it's a guess since I don't know anyone that works at Apple, is the always on feature was expected to be enough to get early adopters to spend a few hundred dollars (or more) to replace Apple Watches which still function perfectly. Will a new model make any difference to how I use my current Apple Watch? Are there any new must have Apps that require a stronger engine? Maybe next year's model will have the breakthrough or perhaps a bit more evolution. I am super curious about that ceramic model.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    NemWan said:
    So what would Series 4 battery life be if they implemented always-on display in a software update?

Horrendous. Key piece of hardware is missing... the controller that can drop the refresh rate from 60Hz down to 1Hz.
    edited September 2019 gregoriusmlolliverRayz2016netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 46
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    There’s a difference between a CPU having the same programming model and being the same.
    Having the same instructions and same relative performance, doesn’t mean having the same performance or the same underlying technology.
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 46
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    sergioz said:
    Is this why you can't buy Series 4 watch on apple's website?
    It’s because Apple can’t sell the 4 at a reduced price with a good margin.   Kill it and make people buy the 5 at the higher margin if they want the big screen and good performance.  

If they didn’t, there would be all kinds of articles about why the 4 is the best bang for the buck compared to the 5.   

To me, it’s a sign that Apple is holding back big costs and investments by reusing as much as possible, but bumping key things to evolve the product.  iPhones are on a 3 year cycle, now.   

Thats why 2020 will be the huge jump in iPhone tech.  
  • Reply 27 of 46
    They're welcome to say what they want. We'll see what happens when we get our review unit.
    I believe they compared the 7th gen. iPad with a (best-selling?) laptop and not the previous generation iPad.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    stol said:
    They're welcome to say what they want. We'll see what happens when we get our review unit.
    I believe they compared the 7th gen. iPad with a (best-selling?) laptop and not the previous generation iPad.
    We were told, directly, on the floor, multiple times after the presentation that the iPad was twice as fast as the previous generation.
    randominternetpersonnetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 46
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    LAME.

bonobob said:

During the same September 10 event, Apple also launched the new 10.2-inch iPad, which is meant to take the spot of the existing entry-level model. Apple says it's twice as fast as the previous model, and it contains a new 10.2-inch Retina display. It's also the first non-Pro iPad to feature Apple's Smart Connector.
    I doubt that.  The new device has the same A10 processor as the old one.  Not even the graphics, since the GPU is on the A10 chip as well.

Apple caught lying again!!!11

/s

• Reply 30 of 46
    I’m glad the budget iPad has more RAM. I love my 2018 model but I see it struggle with basic multiple apps open. Safari and YouTube for example.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Not only software. But they have included power management chips in their A and S series
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 46
    normang said:
    I find it odd that just wandering through Apple's software suite you can make determinations about the hardware of a device in question.  The S5 may not have any significant enhancements over the S4, but it cannot be the same chip for various reasons, the difference in display, and not all the power savings can come from the display either IMHO
    That is my opinion as well. No way is it exactly the same as the S4 since it has to manage an entirely different display suite of chips.
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 46
    saarek said:
    NemWan said:
    So what would Series 4 battery life be if they implemented always-on display in a software update?
    I have the same question.  If CPU/GPU are the same and the new model has to power double the storage, why can’t Series 4 have “Always On.”  Unless the battery tech has been radically improved in S5, I would imagine it’s possible.  
    As far as I am aware, the screen is identical in the Series 4 vs Series 5. The difference is that the Series 5 has an added chip to make the magic happen.
    The screen is completely different than the Series 4 screen. Did you not watch the Apple Keynote? There is nothing identical nor similar between the Series 4 screen and the Series 5 screen other than that they are both OLED.
    edited September 2019 Rayz2016netroxwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 46
    NemWan said:
    I have the same question.  If CPU/GPU are the same and the new model has to power double the storage, why can’t Series 4 have “Always On.”  Unless the battery tech has been radically improved in S5, I would imagine it’s possible.  
    Watch the Apple Keynote from last Tuesday. Series 5 has an entirely new set of display components nothing like Series 4.
    Rayz2016williamlondonlolliverGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 46
    stol said:
    We were told, directly, on the floor, multiple times after the presentation that the iPad was twice as fast as the previous generation.
    At 23:20 of the September Event video on YouTube: "...this iPad is up to two times faster than that top-selling PC." The comparison isn't to last year's $329 iPad.
    muthuk_vanalingamlolliverGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 46
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    qwwera said:
    I’m glad the budget iPad has more RAM. I love my 2018 model but I see it struggle with basic multiple apps open. Safari and YouTube for example.
    I have iMac with 64GB RAM and it still complains about a webpage being too memory extensive even though it's not causing memory pressure issues. 

But as a web developer, I can assure you that websites are notorious for not being optimized. It's amazing how web developers are literally piling so much crap for so little use.  

watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 46
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    zimmie said:
    NemWan said:
    Once you write to flash, it retains the data without you looking at it. Meanwhile, Dynamic RAM (DRAM) must be periodically refreshed, or it loses its contents. Thus, the more RAM you have, the more power you must spend refreshing it, but more storage doesn't cost power.
    Unless the RAM isn't DRAM?
    Maybe they switched to different RAM that doesn't require refresh. Didn't the orginal watch use SRAM to save battery. I would think Apple might be looking at something like Optain Hybrid RAM avoid refresh and RAM vs Storage issues. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    stol said:
    At 23:20 of the September Event video on YouTube: "...this iPad is up to two times faster than that top-selling PC." The comparison isn't to last year's $329 iPad.
    See the wording of what you quoted from my comment. I am fully aware of what they said during the event. I'm also aware of what we were told in the hands-on area. Multiple Apple folks were very clear about it being faster than last year's iPad, above and beyond the remarks about top-selling PCs.
    edited September 2019 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 46
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    saarek said:
    NemWan said:
    As far as I am aware, the screen is identical in the Series 4 vs Series 5. The difference is that the Series 5 has an added chip to make the magic happen.
    The screen is completely different than the Series 4 screen. Did you not watch the Apple Keynote? There is nothing identical nor similar between the Series 4 screen and the Series 5 screen other than that they are both OLED.
    Quote from The Verge, but other sources say the same: "The technology that makes that possible is a low-temperature polycrystalline oxide (LTPO for short) display that Apple developed. The tech behind an LTPO version of an OLED screen is interesting — especially since it was first introduced in the Series 4"
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 46
    NemWan said:
    I think in the keynote they mentioned that the series 5 display has a variable refresh rate, down to 1hz, which enables the always on functionality. 
    netmageGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra