Bob Iger: Disney and Apple likely to have merged if Steve Jobs was alive

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    Someone needs to draw a picture of Mickey with two Apple-shaped ears. Perhaps looking at an old image of Steve Jobs.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 42 of 74
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    First of all, Iger is literally saying that Apple and Disney should merge. Just no. If they say, "I wish our services would merge" then I can see his argument but that's not what I read. 

Apple has the market cap of 1,000 billion dollars while Disney has 255 billion so explain why should Disney think that Apple should merge with Disney?  

ronn
  • Reply 43 of 74
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    On the contrary, Apple should have been split to 3 independent companies. 
  • Reply 44 of 74
    tyler82 said:
    Instead we got Apple + Beats By Dre

(I know this is off-topic, but...) Got my wireless Powerbeats Pro this morning, returned it this afternoon.

Utter POS product from Beats, on multiple levels. Can’t believe Apple put this out.
    kestral
  • Reply 45 of 74
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:

macxpress said:
    Wait does he mean Disney and Apple would have merged together? If that's true....LOLOLOL! I seriously doubt that. I don't see any reason what so ever how that would benefit either company. I don't care how well the relationship was between Bob and Steve. It's totally different from Disney taking over Pixar which actually made sense. 

Right? Apple would never get into selling media!! They are a computer company!!! LOLOLOLOL!!

netrox said:
    Pixar was just animation studio bought by Disney when it succeeded. It makes absolutely no sense to think that an entertainment company would merge with a software/hardware company.
    Right? Apple would never get into the entertainment business!! They are a phone company!!!!!1111

I guess you forgot that Apple is not just AppleTV +. Sure it would have helped that, but how is merging or taking over Disney going to help sell iPhones, Macs, Apple Watches, HomePods, etc. It won't. It's not like Disney taking over Pixar which completely made sense as they were using them anyways. 

You're not making any sense at all. Just because you wish it would have happened doesn't mean it makes sense for either party. 

So TV+, does it exist or not?
    Of course it exists, but its not Apple. It's a very very small portion of Apple and it's not going to be the primary thing Apple does or anything close. You're not getting it. 

So please explain to all of us why this could benefit Apple as a WHOLE...not just with Apple TV+. 

Apple TV+ is not Apple? Is it Google? I don't understand.....

"So please explain to all of us why this could benefit Apple as a WHOLE"

IDK. The same way Apple TV+ could benefit Apple as a WHOLE.
  • Reply 46 of 74
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    ebaierl said:
    Does no one realize that Sony is a company that makes media and sells electronics? The idea of a Disney-Apple merger isn't without precedence. 

Apple is also a company that makes media and sells electronics.
  • Reply 47 of 74
    saijanaisaijanai Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Well,Apple's been looking for ways to spend their cash. Buying Disney almost makes sense: easier than creating their OWN streaming service when they can just buy a company that already has one. Nota bene: aapl market cap: $1,100,000,000,000; dis market cap: $0,246.430,000,000
  • Reply 48 of 74
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 615member
    Well he knew Jobs better than me (which is not at all) but it sure seems like Pixar and Apple were different beasts. Jobs founded Apple in a garage rather than as an investor later in its life, and he nursed it back from the brink to a skyrocketing future. The iCEO became the famed phoenix rising from the ashes...Why sell it?
    It wouldn’t have been Steve selling Apple. 

Thats ridiculous. 

It would have been Apple assimilating Disney into Ann entertainment and media division of Apple. 

There was some speculation that Jobs wanted to go in that direction back in the day and that Iger was not for it. He was too narrow minded. Jobs had the controlling share and it could have happened. But Steve fell ill around that time. 

As it is, Iger just steals ideas at Apple board meetings and then copies Apple TV Plus and comes out with... “Dinsney... Plus”. Doesn’t even bother to be original. 
    Except Disney has a giant vault of material for their service and Apple has hopes of grandeur. A partnership would have been a lot better than trying to compete against them. 
    kestralAppleExposed
  • Reply 49 of 74
    I said this a few articles ago. Wish Steve was alive. Apple TV+ and Disney+ would be one service.
    Why?
    Jobs owned Disney and was the CEO of Apple.

Wrong. Jobs owned 7.4% when he sold them Pixar. That’s not remotely close to a controlling share.

So...why would they be one service? Why would Disney be anything other than one more content service piped onto the platform as it is today? Or do you mean to say Jobs could have convinced the other 82% of the stockholders to sell? Perhaps but there are so many factors who can say. 

Well duh. 

Jobs had a controlling share in most of disney - granted to him when he “sold” Pixar, which was trouncing Disney at the box office. Disney was desperate and Jobs saved the day. I think it was 51% of the company shares? Dude was owning. 
    Except, he didn’t. Google is your friend. 

He was still the biggest owner. Not as pie-in-the-sky as you want to believe it to be.
    And not at all what you said, which was that Jobs owned Disney. He didn’t. 
    randominternetpersonronn
  • Reply 50 of 74

ebaierl said:
    Does no one realize that Sony is a company that makes media and sells electronics? The idea of a Disney-Apple merger isn't without precedence. 
    Yes and as we said, that’s when Sony hardware lost all momentum and they ceased being the industry leader. They gimped their hardware innovation to protect content DRM. Oops. 
    edited September 2019 mdriftmeyerronn
  • Reply 51 of 74
    jimh2 said:
    Well he knew Jobs better than me (which is not at all) but it sure seems like Pixar and Apple were different beasts. Jobs founded Apple in a garage rather than as an investor later in its life, and he nursed it back from the brink to a skyrocketing future. The iCEO became the famed phoenix rising from the ashes...Why sell it?
    It wouldn’t have been Steve selling Apple. 

Thats ridiculous. 

It would have been Apple assimilating Disney into Ann entertainment and media division of Apple. 

There was some speculation that Jobs wanted to go in that direction back in the day and that Iger was not for it. He was too narrow minded. Jobs had the controlling share and it could have happened. But Steve fell ill around that time. 

As it is, Iger just steals ideas at Apple board meetings and then copies Apple TV Plus and comes out with... “Dinsney... Plus”. Doesn’t even bother to be original. 
    Except Disney has a giant vault of material for their service and Apple has hopes of grandeur. A partnership would have been a lot better than trying to compete against them. 
    For Apple to succeed doesn’t require Disney to fail. Apple can be successful with their streaming endeavors even while Disney does the same. Is Amazon failing because Netflix?
    mdriftmeyerronn
  • Reply 52 of 74
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    StrangeDays said:
    Actually, a lot of people blame Sony’s demise (as a legendary hardware company) on their finger in the content pie. They crippled hardware like the Sony Minidisc in order to prevent unauthorized content copying, DRM, etc. They did similar things with their Sony Media Sticks or whatever. Their gimped hardware just never caught on and they lost their momentum, never recovered. 

Yep. Minidisc could have been the next big thing and they ruined it. It was like they learned nothing at all from the Betamax debacle.

Blu-Ray did eventually have a somewhat limited victory, but Minidisc could have been really great for audio, video and data.
    mdriftmeyerronn
  • Reply 53 of 74
    sdw2001 said:
    Someone is trying to sell a book.  I highly doubt this would have happened.  
    Oh, I think it could’ve realistically happened, based on the relationship between Iger and Jobs AND Jobs’ large holdings of Disney stock, an advantage which his widow has evidently squandered.

This is really an acknowledgement of a rift between Cook and Iger.
    anantksundaramAppleExposed
  • Reply 54 of 74
    If Steve Jobs were alive today, I imagine he'd more likely be in cahoots with Elon Musk than with Bob Iger.
    Oh, I don’t think so. Jobs would’ve laid into Musk for his over promising and under delivering. 
    ronnAppleExposed
  • Reply 55 of 74
    saijanaisaijanai Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Well,Apple's been looking for ways to spend their cash. Buying Disney almost makes sense: easier than creating their OWN streaming service when they can just buy a company that already has one. Nota bene: aapl market cap: $1,100,000,000,000; dis market cap: $0,246.430,000,000
  • Reply 56 of 74
    tyler82 said:

(I know this is off-topic, but...) Got my wireless Powerbeats Pro this morning, returned it this afternoon.

Utter POS product from Beats, on multiple levels. Can’t believe Apple put this out.
    I get it. My new car has a Beats audio system built-in and it is absolute shit compared to the Fender system my previous car had. Beats is completely terrible, full stop.
    edited September 2019 Carnagekestraldavgreg
  • Reply 57 of 74
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Absolute, complete BS.  Disney would be of zero use to Apple.  If even to entertain the notion, Steve Jobs would buy Disney and immediately shut down the theme parks or sell them off.
  • Reply 58 of 74
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:

macxpress said:
    Wait does he mean Disney and Apple would have merged together? If that's true....LOLOLOL! I seriously doubt that. I don't see any reason what so ever how that would benefit either company. I don't care how well the relationship was between Bob and Steve. It's totally different from Disney taking over Pixar which actually made sense. 

Right? Apple would never get into selling media!! They are a computer company!!! LOLOLOLOL!!

netrox said:
    Pixar was just animation studio bought by Disney when it succeeded. It makes absolutely no sense to think that an entertainment company would merge with a software/hardware company.
    Right? Apple would never get into the entertainment business!! They are a phone company!!!!!1111

I guess you forgot that Apple is not just AppleTV +. Sure it would have helped that, but how is merging or taking over Disney going to help sell iPhones, Macs, Apple Watches, HomePods, etc. It won't. It's not like Disney taking over Pixar which completely made sense as they were using them anyways. 

You're not making any sense at all. Just because you wish it would have happened doesn't mean it makes sense for either party. 

So TV+, does it exist or not?
    Of course it exists, but its not Apple. It's a very very small portion of Apple and it's not going to be the primary thing Apple does or anything close. You're not getting it. 

So please explain to all of us why this could benefit Apple as a WHOLE...not just with Apple TV+. 

Apple TV+ is not Apple? Is it Google? I don't understand.....

"So please explain to all of us why this could benefit Apple as a WHOLE"

IDK. The same way Apple TV+ could benefit Apple as a WHOLE.
    Okay I don't know if you're purposely being ignorant or what. AppleTV+ isn't what makes Apple...Apple as a company. Its a very small service that Apple sells. I guess I have to explain to you what Apple does today. They make mobile devices, computers, software and services. Other than a small portion of services, what would Disney bring to Apple? You realize this would not be a free transaction right? Apple isn't going to just absorb Disney for free. 

So I'm guessing you don't really know how its going to benefit Apple as a company other than its TV service because you can't even explain yourself. You're just rambling on about nothing. Do you really think AppleTV+ is going to be Apple's next biggest thing with or without Disney? It's next iPhone of Apple? Seriously?!
    geekmeeronn
  • Reply 59 of 74
    Apparently according Iger, Steve chopped down an orange tree when he was young to plant and Apple tree. 
  • Reply 60 of 74
    tyler82 said:

Apple did not buy what you saw, which was Beats headphones. Beats hardware was NOT the focus of that deal. Beats hardware and revenue was just added icing on the cake. What they bought was what you didn’t see, the cake underneath; Apple bought Instant identification and relationships with icons of black artists and downloads with Dr. Dre and white artists with respected deal maker Iovine.
    The purchase was unique in that none of the competition could replicate the deal, that Iovine put together with the benefit of his previous relationship with Apple. Apple bought their way into instant identification with the two largest revenue generators in downloaded music... versus the remaining categories. Too Iovine’s credit; Priceless.
    Can you say? Think Differently 
    edited September 2019 mdriftmeyerrandominternetpersonronn