Xcode confirms Apple Watch S5 CPU is the same as S4, 10.2-inch iPad has 3GB RAM

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    stol said:
    They're welcome to say what they want. We'll see what happens when we get our review unit.
    I believe they compared the 7th gen. iPad with a (best-selling?) laptop and not the previous generation iPad.
    We were told, directly, on the floor, multiple times after the presentation that the iPad was twice as fast as the previous generation.
    Yeah, but twice as fast is already unlikely. The A11 chip is only 25% faster than A10. And the A12 chip is only 15% faster than the A11. It would mean an A10 chip that blows away all other Apple chips. Even the A10X is only 10% faster than the regular A10, mainly for multicore operations. Twice as fast? Hello? Madness. Alarm bells. Doesn't compute! It would have been wise to immediately follow that up with questions. They misspoke, and you didn't immediately reply: "But that's impossible! It can't be twice as fast!"
    edited September 2019 netmagemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 42 of 46
    netrox said:
    sergioz said:
    Is this why you can't buy Series 4 watch on apple's website?
    No, Apple did the same with Series 2 when Series 3 came out. 

True!
    Plus, there simply wouldn't be enough difference between the 4 and the 5 to make them marketable -- they would be competing with each other.
    But, the Series 3 offers similar, base level, functionality at half the price -- so it has a place on the table at the Apple Store.

For myself:   I just got a new, 44m LTE Aluminum Series 4 for $399 from EBay -- $129 dollars off!   I   L O V E    IT !  
    ... Now I have to figure out what to do with this Series 1 sitting here beside me -- it still works great!
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 46
    spice-boy said:
    I guess all that R&D money is going to new band styles...

My guess, yes it's a guess since I don't know anyone that works at Apple, is the always on feature was expected to be enough to get early adopters to spend a few hundred dollars (or more) to replace Apple Watches which still function perfectly. Will a new model make any difference to how I use my current Apple Watch? Are there any new must have Apps that require a stronger engine? Maybe next year's model will have the breakthrough or perhaps a bit more evolution. I am super curious about that ceramic model.
    For many that "Always On" feature is a major upgrade -- mostly for students and executives in classrooms and meetings who will be able to sneak peeks without appearing rude by using an exaggerated motion of raising the wrist to see the time that, to most people, signifies boredom and dissatisfaction.

Now Tim will be able to subtly sneak a peak during meetings without appearing rude.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 46
    rcfa said:
    There CAN BE a difference between a CPU having the same programming model and being the same.
    Having the same instructions and same relative performance, doesn’t HAVE TO mean having the same performance or the same underlying technology.
    Fixed that for you!
  • Reply 45 of 46
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    john f. said:
    stol said:
    They're welcome to say what they want. We'll see what happens when we get our review unit.
    I believe they compared the 7th gen. iPad with a (best-selling?) laptop and not the previous generation iPad.
    We were told, directly, on the floor, multiple times after the presentation that the iPad was twice as fast as the previous generation.
    Yeah, but twice as fast is already unlikely. The A11 chip is only 25% faster than A10. And the A12 chip is only 15% faster than the A11. It would mean an A10 chip that blows away all other Apple chips. Even the A10X is only 10% faster than the regular A10, mainly for multicore operations. Twice as fast? Hello? Madness. Alarm bells. Doesn't compute! It would have been wise to immediately follow that up with questions. They misspoke, and you didn't immediately reply: "But that's impossible! It can't be twice as fast!"
    We did. See "multiple times" in the quote from me that you responded to.

I don't disagree with what you're saying. The part I disagree with is we didn't challenge them on it. So, we'll see what pops out the other end, like I said in the very early part about "we'll see what happens when we get our review unit."
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 46 of 46
    mattinoz said:
    zimmie said:
    NemWan said:
    So what would Series 4 battery life be if they implemented always-on display in a software update?
    I have the same question.  If CPU/GPU are the same and the new model has to power double the storage, why can’t Series 4 have “Always On.”  Unless the battery tech has been radically improved in S5, I would imagine it’s possible.  
    Once you write to flash, it retains the data without you looking at it. Meanwhile, Dynamic RAM (DRAM) must be periodically refreshed, or it loses its contents. Thus, the more RAM you have, the more power you must spend refreshing it, but more storage doesn't cost power.
    Unless the RAM isn't DRAM?
    Maybe they switched to different RAM that doesn't require refresh. Didn't the orginal watch use SRAM to save battery. I would think Apple might be looking at something like Optain Hybrid RAM avoid refresh and RAM vs Storage issues. 
    It's definitely DRAM. Apple uses LPDDR4 for the current watch SIPs.

Optane might be usable for something like this in the future, but right now its power consumption is far too high.