watchOS 6 for Apple Watch is now available to download

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    watchOS6 not available for Series 1 or 2 until later this fall. WTF? They're probably going to gut some features before giving it to us peasants. The original AW is out.
  • Reply 22 of 77
    I had deleted the 13.1 profile and got no watch update. Reinstalled the profile and the watch update immediately appeared. Didn’t have to reinstall 13.1.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 77
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I just tried it again, and it’s downloading now. 713MB. Hard to believe a watch OS upgrade is that big, isn’t it?

well, ugh, it says it’s downloading, but it isn’t yet.

likely 100 million people are trying to upgrade at once. That shouldn’t be a problem. >:)
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 77
    Available now if on iOS 13.1
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 77
    10 hours to go! Lol
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 77
    At least some of you are getting estimates, at some point it will drop to a few minutes. I’ve got nothing. Just a grey line.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 77
    aybara said:
    I have a Series 4 watch but an iPhone 6, which doesn't support iOS 13.  How will I update my watch?
    Per Apple:
    watchOS 6 requires iPhone 6s or later with iOS 13 or later, and one of the following Apple Watch models:

I tried it again on my iPhone, and the message reads "To update the software on your Apple Watch, you first need to update the software on you iPhone."  Below is a link that reads "Go to Software Update settings."  I click the link, and it takes me to the iPhone's Software Update screen, but there is nothing there to update.  I can see how this would confuse people who are not following what works with what version of iPhone you have.  On another note, does this mean that our relatively new Apple Watches are stuck on last version just because we don't have a new iPhone?  If so, then that sucks.
  • Reply 28 of 77
    aybara said:
    I have a Series 4 watch but an iPhone 6, which doesn't support iOS 13.  How will I update my watch?
    Per Apple:
    watchOS 6 requires iPhone 6s or later with iOS 13 or later, and one of the following Apple Watch models:

I tried it again on my iPhone, and the message reads "To update the software on your Apple Watch, you first need to update the software on you iPhone."  Below is a link that reads "Go to Software Update settings."  I click the link, and it takes me to the iPhone's Software Update screen, but there is nothing there to update.  I can see how this would confuse people who are not following what works with what version of iPhone you have.  On another note, does this mean that our relatively new Apple Watches are stuck on last version just because we don't have a new iPhone?  If so, then that sucks.
    That’s what you get if you still are rocking an ancient 6. Upgrade time. 
    agilealtitudewatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 77
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    melgross said:
    At least some of you are getting estimates, at some point it will drop to a few minutes. I’ve got nothing. Just a grey line.
    At least some of you are actually getting the update  ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 77
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I had to remove the the Watch Beta Profile in order to get the update to show(Watch App>General>Profiles) Once removed, I checked again and the update arrived. Hope this helps!
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 77
    Another crappy piece of software, originally I updated to 5.3.1 and battery was lasting eight hours, compared to 3 days before 5.3.1, now updated to WatchOS 6, within 1 hours watch has lost 10% battery !!!!!
  • Reply 32 of 77
    DMR1973 said:
    Another crappy piece of software, originally I updated to 5.3.1 and battery was lasting eight hours, compared to 3 days before 5.3.1, now updated to WatchOS 6, within 1 hours watch has lost 10% battery !!!!!
    Imagine that, it's probably doing some reindexing/reprocessing in the background like after almost every major OS update (and will be done in a few hours).  But why think when you can just react.
    edited September 2019 racerhomie3fastasleepmacguimdriftmeyerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 77
    Took several tries to get started. I think I was waiting to get a 50% charge on my Series 4.  Started at 1 day remaining and quickly moved to 3 hours. Now crawling along with only 1 hour remaining as it is “Downloading to Watch...” The “2nd hour” only took 20 minutes so I’m encouraged. ed. The last hour only took 13 minutes. Success!
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 77
    Ah ha! I had to take the watch off the charger, and do the password again, and press proceed again, and enter the password again. So after doing it twice, it actually began to download, not just say that it was. It started with two hours, immediately went to one hour, and while I’m typing this, about two minutes after that, it’s now down to 18 minutes. I expect it to finish the download in about 3 more minutes, then begin the “preparing update” portion which always takes a lot longer than the actual download.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 77
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I wonder why they are forcing Series 1 & 2 users to wait. The update isn't good enough to get people to update in frustration at having to wait, so trying to see the benefit here.
  • Reply 36 of 77
    saarek said:
    I wonder why they are forcing Series 1 & 2 users to wait. The update isn't good enough to get people to update in frustration at having to wait, so trying to see the benefit here.
    Yeah, that's probably why I'm still waiting.  I have a Series 2.  So perhaps that's how they're staging the rollout to prevent overloading the servers: by watch series.

EDIT: Oh wait, you mean the update won't be available until later this fall?  That is weird for sure.  Where was that reported?
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 37 of 77
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    auxio said:
    saarek said:
    Yeah, that's probably why I'm still waiting.  I have a Series 2.  So perhaps that's how they're staging the rollout to prevent overloading the servers: by watch series.
    Yeah, but it's not like we have to wait a week or something, we just get a nebulous sometime in the future kind of timing. Perhaps they are trying to make people want to upgrade to a newer watch, but it's a pretty basic lackluster update, just like the Series 5 is.

I love my Series 1, won't bother replacing it until the battery dies or they find a compelling reason to upgrade. I'll definitiely be buying a cellular model for the next one though.
  • Reply 38 of 77
    Talk SLOWER please
  • Reply 39 of 77
    saarek said:
    auxio said:
    saarek said:
    I love my Series 1, won't bother replacing it until the battery dies or they find a compelling reason to upgrade. I'll definitiely be buying a cellular model for the next one though.
    Yeah, I bought the SS Series 2 with the link bracelet because I wanted to treat it like a real watch.  You know, one which is built well, looks nice and you keep for a long time.  Still works great and I have no plans to get a new one soon.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 77
    auxio said:
    DMR1973 said:
    Imagine that, it's probably doing some reindexing/reprocessing in the background like after almost every major OS update (and will be done in a few hours).  But why think when you can just react.
    Fairly, I don't think it is up to consumers to try to analyze what their device is doing. Maybe a simple warning from the manufacturer would solve this by lowering our expectations for things that...well...we paid for. 

I learned this painful lesson on the original Apple Watch. For reasons I couldn't connect to software updates, the battery life would drop to like 2 hours, but only when the workout app was used. A 30m walk drained the battery 40%. On a product that was supposed to be a fitness tracker. Was it obvious what was happening? No. In hindsight (that is always 20-50) perhaps understandable - the post processing of several years of health data might have been the culprit - but where is the warning that mere updating software could disable the device you bought for several days or weeks?

I know now to only to updates overnight, and on weekends when I am near an Apple Watch charger. Here's to hoping the AW4 is more robust about this.