PC Preferred (Oucha!)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ouch!

PC Preferred on Adobe's Web site.

Quote:

In the July 2002 issue of Digital Producer Magazine, Charlie White reported on a head-to-head duel between a single-processor Dell 2.53GHz Pentium® 4 ? the Dell Precision Workstation 340 ? and the fastest Macintosh then available ? a 1GHz dual-processor G4. The contest compared renderings of files created in Adobe® After Effects®, Illustrator®, and Photoshop® software that are typical to the video post-production workflow. The graphs below show some of the results, which were consistent. While the computers used in this study are no longer the fastest in their respective classes, the information is still valid. The PC outperformed the similar Macintosh machine, at an impressive rate.

http://www.adobe.com/motion/gear/main.html

Dull Precision Workstations

Dell offers powerful video editing workstations - tested, optimized, and Adobe Premiere certified. Dell workstations are designed to run your most sophisticated editing tasks and were even used in the making of "Minority Report." Select Dell's dual processor capable Precision 530 with integrated 1394 or the Precision 340 with a 1394 PCI add-in card. Both systems can be ordered with Adobe Premiere, starting at less than US$2,000.

I'm a hoping for a hopping 970 future now!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Hopefully, once the 970's are out, Adobe will be able to update this page with the conclusions reversed.

\
  • Reply 2 of 27
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    but they wont...they will just take this town (at most)

adobe doesn't mult-thread their programs and they wonder why a dual doesn't do well....HMMMMMM

f***'n jackoffs
  • Reply 3 of 27
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tink

Ouch!

PC Preferred on Adobe's Web site.

http://www.adobe.com/motion/gear/main.html

Dull Precision Workstations

Dell offers powerful video editing workstations - tested, optimized, and Adobe Premiere certified. Dell workstations are designed to run your most sophisticated editing tasks and were even used in the making of "Minority Report." Select Dell's dual processor capable Precision 530 with integrated 1394 or the Precision 340 with a 1394 PCI add-in card. Both systems can be ordered with Adobe Premiere, starting at less than US$2,000.

I'm a hoping for a hopping 970 future now!

You have to realize that this is an ad that Dell paid for.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Moving to General Discussion, the forum for general tech talk.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    whats the point of all these comparisons??

Mac users have their own needs while window users have their own needs.

• Reply 6 of 27
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stunned

whats the point of all these comparisons??

Mac users have their own needs while window users have their own needs.

I agree. They get very annoying after the first three times you see one. What's worse is when PC punks come here to annoy us(and often succeed).
  • Reply 7 of 27
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    What's the point of Adobe doing this? Why should they care what kind of computer someone buys? Either way, the same amount of software will get sold. It looks to me like they are mad at Apple and are trying to hurt sales.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Maybe they're bitter about having to support two operating systems.

Maybe they're kicking Apple in the nuts, so Apple will kick Motorola in the nuts.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    followfollow Posts: 10member
    It freaks me out a bit.There are alot of dept managers like ours looking to set up/replace studios. If the dept is really busy, maybe they'll switch for the speed (we don't need it).

I think that this is a pretty heavy thing for adobe.

(At least someone somewhere pointed out the first graphical stats' dumb inconsistancies.)
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Gah. And FYI there's already another thread about this on AppleInsider here in General Discussion called:

Can Adobe make themselves look any dumber?

Ah well, since this thread is on top for now, I'll leave this one open.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Hell why not kick Apple in the nuts. Adobe has got to be pissed about Final Cut Pro and just when they thought it couldn't get worse Apple slaps their other cheek with Final Cut Pro.

I don't blame Apple though. After Effects hasn't been cutting edge for quite some time. Premiere has lagged behind. With these apps as the focus Apple could claim no advantage over a PC running the same apps. Final Cut Pro needed to happen. Apple needs to push Apple forwared for Desktop Video just as they pushed forward Desktop Publishing.

Adobe is good..but not good enough to hold back the platform. Apple is going to have to push forward in some areas. It's not always their fault. Try to get ANY VC for an Apple only app and see how far that gets you. Until Apple can claw scrape and drag themselves up to %5 marketshare and beyond the new apps are just not going to be there in huge numbers.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Was the comparison made in OS X or 9? If it was made in X, it's Adobe's own damn fault that the Apple machine performed so poorly. Illustrator X and Photoshop 7 are pieces of crap on OS X...
  • Reply 13 of 27
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whyatt Thrash

Was the comparison made in OS X or 9? If it was made in X, it's Adobe's own damn fault that the Apple machine performed so poorly. Illustrator X and Photoshop 7 are pieces of crap on OS X...

yes their fault but still no supporting dual processors well...i think that is the mian problem
  • Reply 14 of 27
    It is perfectly logical for Adobe to recommend the PC over the Macintosh,

Adobe applications are performance hungry - obviously they are going to recommend the platform that their applications perform best on.

When the Macintosh was superiour Adobe wasn't shy about promoting it, now that the Macintosh is little more than a tragic over priced joke, why would Apple expect blind endorsement from Adobe?

You can get a PC that is far better than the DP 1.42 for less than the price fo the single processor 1ghz tower. Why the hell would anyone even consider buying a Mac these days?

Oh that's right - they aren't
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Wait just a second there Stagflation Steve...the iBook is actually a very nice value despite its power. MacOS is stillthe choice
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Ummmm geez would someone please tell me where to buy a PC for $1500 that is FAR better than a Powermac Dual 1.42.

All I ever seem to read is how PC's are so fast or great. I'm reading the same websites and magazines as you. Why don't I see it?
  • Reply 17 of 27
    What the frick are you talking about? Last time I checked, a DP1.42 cost about 3.000$, not 1.500... We're talking about performance vs. cost, ie the net value of a product.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whyatt Thrash

What the frick are you talking about? Last time I checked, a DP1.42 cost about 3.000$, not 1.500... We're talking about performance vs. cost, ie the net value of a product.

Exactly you won't find a $1500 PC with the features of a Powermac Duallie. While you'll get speed you won't get much else worth crowing about IMO.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Ummmm geez would someone please tell me where to buy a PC for $1500 that is FAR better than a Powermac Dual 1.42

Try absolutly anywhere, Dell, HP / Compaq, IBM, Walmart...
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Exactly you won't find a $1500 PC with the features of a Powermac Duallie. While you'll get speed you won't get much else worth crowing about IMO.

And what features would those be?

Underclocked Memory on a prehistoric memory subsystem?

Anemic GeForce 4mx Videocard?

Pathetic Onboard Audio?

90 Day Telephone Support?

When your talking Adobe software, speed is the ONLY thing that counts.

PC's are FAR faster for a fraction of the price.

That is why Adobe is recommending them, it's up to Apple to deal with it.