Don't update to iOS 13 just yet -- wait for iOS 13.1

Posted:
in General Discussion
Despite months of beta testing, the new version of iOS has some problems -- but that's no surprise and you should always wait at least a couple of days before updating. This time, we can even tell you exactly when to press that Install button.

Apple's new iOS 13 is very nice, but there are problems.
Apple's new iOS 13 is very nice, but there are problems.

Apple's new iOS 13 has been officially released and it's come with bugs. That is despite being in multiple rounds of public and developer testing, however it's also far from unexpected. Once a release goes out to the very many millions of users who never try beta test versions, the sheer scale of use always uncovers issues.

That's why in every single case, whether it's iOS, macOS or now also iPadOS, the AppleInsider advice is that you should always wait at least a few days.

Normally, though, this is because the moment the flood of people start using the new system and finding the problems, you can assume that Apple is working on fixing them. Usually, you can bet anything you like that there will be an update released very soon afterwards.

This one time, though, there's no guesswork involved, at all. Apple has already fixed at least some of these bugs, and it has already announced when the update will be released.

While it's unlikely to fix everything, and will itself have new bugs that are only found on general release, iOS 13.1 is coming out on September 24.

If it's unusual that Apple announced the date of this 13.1 release before 13.0 shipped, then it's peculiar that they've also pulled the date forward. It was originally going to be September 30.

Bringing it forward a week does give us confidence that it's ready. It also hints that Apple must've suspected that 13.0 would have problems, and needed to be rushed out the door -- and we won't speculate specifically as to why, beyond the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro were going to ship before iOS 13.1 was ready. What's supposed to have happened is that Apple knew it couldn't include all of its promised features in the very first release of iOS 13, so it moved some to the next version and made sure we knew about it.

Nonetheless, as understandable as initial bugs are when you're an experience Apple user, or familiar with any computing technology, it's still disappointing when the much-vaunted new release causes you problems.

Currently the most typically reported bugs include one in Mail where the name of whoever sent a message is replaced by the words "No Sender." That one can usually be fixed by restarting your iOS device, however.

There are also reports of apps crashing on launch, though, AirDrop working sporadically, and even phone cell signal problems.

AppleInsider, though, can at least report that we're experiencing none of these issues on our devices using the beta version of iOS 13.1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    You better wait until 13.9. Then it will have even more bugs fixed. 
    wait for it, wait for it, wait...
    quakerotisflyingdplenny491netmageSpamSandwichdysamoriamacpluspluswlymMetriacanthosaurusAppleExposed
  • Reply 2 of 74
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    urahara said:
    You better wait until 13.9. Then it will have even more bugs fixed. 
    wait for it, wait for it, wait...
    That's not what we said, now is it.

As a general rule, we advise upgrades to new versions of the operating system when they're released for security alone. This time, we just can't do that here.
    rinosaurwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 74
    I use Imaging Edge Mobile to import photos from my Sony camera. 
    Since I updated to iOS 13 I’ve got a gazillion Imaging Edge Mobile folders in my photos app🤣
    Probably one for every imported photo
    forgot usernamerinosaur
  • Reply 4 of 74
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I'm grateful for this warning.  I'll definitely wait for 13.1.

I can't understand why Apple went ahead and released version 13.0 with these bugs.  I know, I know, there are often problems with new iOS versions, but this time there's a later version already ready.  Why release a version with known problems for which there's a solution ready?
    razorpitdysamoriarinosaur
  • Reply 5 of 74
    fred1 said:

I can't understand why Apple went ahead and released version 13.0 with these bugs.  I know, I know, there are often problems with new iOS versions, but this time there's a later version already ready.  Why release a version with known problems for which there's a solution ready?
    Reason: iPhone 11 announcement date and preinstalling 13.0 on millions of units + investor targets. 
    jahbladerinosaurbakedbananas
  • Reply 6 of 74
    I always update on release day and thus far, I haven’t encountered any issues. I love the simplified way AirDrop now works with contacts, I haven’t seen the No Sender Mail issue’s, and the new swipe keyboard is pretty cool and comparable to GBoard I used by Google. I’m pretty happy with iOS 13, especially Night Mode. 
    flyingdpforgot usernamelenny491uraharajahbladeStrangeDaystoysandmenetmagericmacDeelron
  • Reply 7 of 74
    Reason: iPhone 11 announcement date. 
    I guess they couldn’t just release iPhone 11 with iOS 13 keeping others on 12 - maybe there are some compatibility issues, but new phones should work fine with older ones, say in a household.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 74
    peterhart said:
    I always update on release day and thus far, I haven’t encountered any issues. I love the simplified way AirDrop now works with contacts, I haven’t seen the No Sender Mail issue’s, and the new swipe keyboard is pretty cool and comparable to GBoard I used by Google. I’m pretty happy with iOS 13, especially Night Mode. 
    I haven't either. This time I updated early simply because of Apple Arcade. Without it I might wait.

And yes, swipe keyboard is great, but how do you type double letters, like le'tt'ers?
    edited September 2019 forgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 74
    matrix077 said:
    peterhart said:
    I haven't either. This time I updated early simply because of Apple Arcade. Without it I might wait.

And yes, swipe keyboard is great, but how do you type double letters, like le'tt'ers?
    What I do when typing, as I’ve used GBoard for a long time now, is slightly hold that letter for a split second longer and it registers what I was aiming for. I used to have Apple’s predictive spelling/suggestions turned off, but it was helpful on GBoard so I turned it back on now using Apple’s keyboard. I’d been waiting to ditch Google’s for a while now. 
    matrix077netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 74
    peterhart said:
    matrix077 said:
    peterhart said:

What I do when typing, as I’ve used GBoard for a long time now, is slightly hold that letter for a split second longer and it registers what I was aiming for. I used to have Apple’s predictive spelling/suggestions turned off, but it was helpful on GBoard so I turned it back on now using Apple’s keyboard. I’d been waiting to ditch Google’s for a while now. 
    Thanks. I'll try that.

Btw, when are we gonna see dark theme here, appleinsider? This is sticking out like a sore thumb on iOS 13.
    peterhartWgkruegermobirdStrangeDaystoysandmeDeelroncaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 74
    peterhart said:
    My only issue is dictation broken in the release version. Was just fine in GM: which is strange.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 74
    Clearly your mileage may vary.  I have been on iOS 13 GM since release with no issues.  I use my iPhone XS Max heavily and have iCloud and 5 exchange account running on it along with a VoIP client I use for work calls.  Zero re-springs or issues with mail, or anything else to be fair.  I don't use may applications regularly outside of the built in apps  other than, instagram, one note, Splashtop, MS authenticator, WhatsApp, VoIP Client, tune in radio, sky sports, Plex and Waze.
    peterhartlenny491StrangeDaysn2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 74

you don't do anything special.. you just swipe over the t.. since 'leters' is not an existing word, it should propose 'letters', even without you needing to pause over the t..
    peterhartmatrix077netmagecaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 74
    irnchriz said:
    Clearly your mileage may vary.  I have been on iOS 13 GM since release with no issues.  I use my iPhone XS Max heavily and have iCloud and 5 exchange account running on it along with a VoIP client I use for work calls.  Zero re-springs or issues with mail, or anything else to be fair.  I don't use may applications regularly outside of the built in apps  other than, instagram, one note, Splashtop, MS authenticator, WhatsApp, VoIP Client, tune in radio, sky sports, Plex and Waze.
    Same experience with GM on my 6s Plus. No issues other than dictation being broken in the release version as I wrote above. Oh, it worked this time... go figure...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 74
    I updated as soon as it was available. Not seen any bugs yet. I did notice a significant increase in speed. My SE feels quick again. 
    One thing though.
    Bringing it forward a week does give us confidence that it's ready. It also hints that Apple must've suspected that 13.0 would have problems, and needed to be rushed out the door 

I would completely disagree with that. First bringing it forward a week means they are at GM, no further changes, including fixing any bugs found in 13.0 in the wild will be fixed in 13.1. This specifically also suggests that they were NOT rushing it out the door to fix 13.0 bugs, other than ones known for the last couple of weeks. All it means is that 13.1 is done. If you find any unknown bugs in 13.0, you'll have to wait for 13.1.1 for them to get patched.
    edited September 2019 StrangeDaysnetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 74

you don't do anything special.. you just swipe over the t.. since 'leters' is not an existing word, it should propose 'letters', even without you needing to pause over the t..
    That's good to know. Normally I don't trust auto-correct but guess this time I have to.

And I agree with the person above, my X is also quicker since updated.
    edited September 2019 forgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 74
    I love the unknown calls direct to voice mail feature.  I would get 3 robocalls a day.  Now direct to voice mail.
    Wgkruegerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 74
    I haven't experienced any bugs yet. Apple Arcade was working smoothly yesterday and Mail seems completely normal so far.
    StrangeDaysDeelronAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 74
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    fred1 said:

Reason: iPhone 11 announcement date and preinstalling 13.0 on millions of units + investor targets. 
    You nailed it. When Apple slipstreamed the iOS 13.1 beta into the iOS 13 beta cycle we knew something was happening in an atypical workaround fashion. The only other option would be to delay the iPhone 11 release date because there was no way in hell that they’d be imaging the new phones at the factory with the old iOS version. 

At the time they made the call to push iOS 13.1 out ahead of its anticipated release target they probably didn’t know what the delta would be. Now that it’s only 5 days offset from iOS 13.0 it comes across as somewhat silly to do a new release so soon after launch but they probably have no slack in their product assembly, build, release, and shipping process that would allow them to absorb any last minute changes without incurring huge cost hits. 

When you think about the whole logistics chain and getting everyone in the chain committed to moving massive numbers of product out to customers on a committed date for simultaneous worldwide release the 5 day refresh of iOS 13.1 silliness is very insignificant. Nobody is perfect but when you consider the scale of what Apple and its partners have the do to make these new product releases happen you quickly realize that they are doing an amazing job that very few and possibly no other company on the planet could replicate, much less improve upon. 
    foregoneconclusionmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 74
    I wish I waited...
    The Remote app's Airplay function is broken by iOS13.
    Tapping the Airplay icon caused the app to crash and then close.
    forgot username