What PDA's are you using?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
ok, and Fran i know you're using a Newton.

so for the rest of you folks, what PDA's do you use on a daily basis and what do you think of them?

i'm in the market for a PDA, and i'd like something that has bluetooth, and that works well with Macs. i don't follow this market very carefully though, so any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    i use a nx70v (clie)

if you want built-in bluetooth, I recommend you get the new TG-50.

http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer...G50/index.html
  • Reply 2 of 79
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    i still have an old IIIc, but have just bought a Sony Ericsson P800. Once the new version of isync arrives it will be *the* PDA...

• Reply 3 of 79
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I have a Palm Pilot. Yes, it says Palm Pilot on the top. Nothing more.

Although I don't really use it; I can't get it to sync with iSync, and I don't want to spend the money for batteries. At least it was free

You can have it if you want. Maybe.
  • Reply 4 of 79
    Until recently I've been using a Sony CLIE PEG S300 with Mark/Space's conduit, but when November rolled around and an OS X version of the conduit compatible with the S300 never came around, I gave it to my mom and started looking for a replacement, all the while holding out the futile hope that the next rev of the iPod would have enough features that I could use it as a Palm replacement.

Well, I've been looking and waiting for a while now, and now I'm about to buy a Palm Tungsten. If I was looking for a cheaper model without voice memo recording, I'd definitely go with a new Sony CLIE SJ22.

The Sony TG50 and Tungsten both have BlueTooth. If you prefer Graffiti, lean toward the Tungsten. If you prefer a keyboard (implemented in a way which makes Graffiti somewhat inconvenient), go with the Sony. The TG50 is thinner and the Tungsten is lighter and shorter. Neither is perfect.

Alex.
  • Reply 5 of 79
    i abhor the things, but i got my wife a palm 105 (i think, it was one of the lower end ones) and she finds it useful, and i must admit that when we're on holiday i'd be lost without it.

so i think this year i'll buy a new one with more functionality. (i've been looking at sony, i haven't looked at the new palms yet)

the danger with syncing the wifes palm with your computer is enormous. (conflicts galore) work phone numbers become home numbers etc. so i only sync when i have alot of time on hand.
  • Reply 6 of 79
    In my search for a perfect PDA for myself, I settled on the Clie SJ30, which is now called the SJ22. All i needed was a great display, and a fast proc. I got both. I installed a 128mb memory stick, which allows me to keep a bunch of movies and pictures on it. I also installed the BlueTooth MemoryStick module, which I found online for only $50.00 (thats more than half off) and love it. All together, with a aluminium case, I ve spent about 195.00 total. Plus, since the debut of the SJ22, you can find really great deals at BestBuy on the SJ30.

Good Luck with your search.

Note: The new Sony TG50 is a sweet package. OS5 definately rocks. If I had the wifes permission to spend a little more, I would of definately got this one.
  • Reply 7 of 79
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Handspring Visor Edge here. I've enjoyed it immensely. It's got very solid construction, and can do everything I NEED it to do (keep contacts, dates, checkbook, etc.)

Hopefully when I upgrade computers, at some point I'll also upgrade PDAs.
  • Reply 8 of 79
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    my wife uses a visor edge as well, and has been very happy with it. we bought it when they were throwing in the nice extra metal case (the one with the side hinge that opens book/cigarette-case style) for free. putting it in the cradle is more diffciult with the alternate case on, but it's better protected (and the raised dimple texture is pretty nice, too).

i have a palm iiix, but the internal battery is shot, so if the replaceable batteries get too low, bye-bye data. since it is therefore unreliable, i don't use it very much at all. at least i bought it cheap and used, so it's not a huge loss.
  • Reply 9 of 79
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Newton MP 2x00

Okay, so I haven't used it as steadily as I used to, but I'll get the SmartMedia adapter and wireless working RSN, I swear.
  • Reply 10 of 79
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Recently picked up a Handspring Visor Platinum for $95, I figured I didn't really need the super expensive PDAs and I don't, so I settled on a nice old model. I find it quite useful in organizing my to do's and notes, and having the calendar can be nifty. In fact I don't use my computer anymore for calendering or to do's (via ical) since I can take my PDA anywhere.

Don't think I will be upgrading to a better PDA any time soon.
  • Reply 11 of 79
    palm m515 here. color screen. not bad.
  • Reply 12 of 79
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Newton MessagePad 2100.

altough I don't use it as often as I did once...
  • Reply 13 of 79
    A Palm Zire : It does what I need of it (address book, calendar, to do list) and sync with OS X.

But I think I will be soon looking for a PDA with wider screen and more memory : I am fed up with truncated names on my buddy list and I found I used more ebooks than what I originally thought. Maybe a Clié...

It's my first PDA and it got me hooked : if only I had more money (I have my TiBook getting old now...), I will go for the Tungsten.
  • Reply 14 of 79
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I just got a Tungsten T last week. So far, so good. Bluetooth works really well.
  • Reply 15 of 79
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    price isn't really much of an issue for me, although my last palm broke, so i think i want something a bit sturdier this time around. i'll stop by the store and check out these suggestions. oh, and i really want to avoid winCE.

i'll post back when i've finally picked one.
  • Reply 16 of 79
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    I was recently using a Treo 90, but the backlight went out. Luckily, it was a 'known issue' and they're sending me a replacement... but I was gonna sell it anyway.

I decided to go the PalmOS 5 route, so I ordered a Clie TG-50. Mostly for the built-in keyboard and Bluetooth.
  • Reply 17 of 79
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    palm m130

palm=the best
  • Reply 18 of 79
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Dell Axim (what can I say? I am a switcher!).

Better than virtually all Palm OS based fo rmuch less $$$. Caveat: does not sync with Mac without 3rd party tool.
  • Reply 19 of 79
    catalystcatalyst Posts: 226member
    I have a Psion 5MX and PocketPC, and had a Tungsten W for a while...

...But I changed all that for a P800! Woot. Can't wait for iSync to support it.
  • Reply 20 of 79
    drumbug1drumbug1 Posts: 155member
    Newton MessagePad 120

This thing goes everywhere with me. I wish I could justify buying a 2100. Then I could use ethernet with it (my 120 can only use a modem). For it's age, the Newton still amazes me.