Any Tungsten users here?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just got a TT the other day and it's nice. I had a PPC for a while, but it ended up being too much of a pain to use effectively. So far, everything has been seamless, even BT syncing with my mini-pb. While I could do without the graffiti, everything else has been great.

OS 5 seems to be much better than Palm's older OS's and the hi-res screen, a nicety I thought I could do without, actually adds to its functionality. All in all, the best PDA option out there (that I've used and I've used many).

Any other users out there?

-t

ps - usenet rules.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    My boss has one. It is nice. I don't like the case for it though. I like the metal case for the m505 and m515. Much better design.

Oh...if you don't like graffiti, you can get a different hand recognition deal. I forgot where the link for it was. It is the same handwriting software that is used on PPC. It is like 40 bucks or something. If I find the link I'll let you know.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I've finally narrowed it down to the Tungsten as a replacement for my CLIE PEG-S300 (one of the first generations of CLIEs, bought just before the newer, better, and cheaper line was released. If the TG50 had Graffiti rather than the keyboard (and maybe a non-memory stick option), I'd probably be leaning in that direction, but the size and features of the Tungsten are probably as close to what I'm looking for as has been released by anyone. So I'm about to join you as a Tungsten user.

I think Foad is referring to a program called "Virtual Graffiti." I'm currently looking into it.

Alex.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

OS 5 seems to be much better than Palm's older OS's and the hi-res screen . . . actually adds to its functionality.

torifile: What kind of unexpected functionality does the high-res screen add? I imagine it is convenient for you to be able to read the entries in your psychlopedia (I forget the name of the standard reference for psychologists) more clearly and to display more of it on one screen. Any other benefits?

I would really like to get a hybrid PDA-phone. But I have yet to find a convincing model. Ideally I would want GSM/GPRS tri-band, good PDA and contact management functionality, Bluetooth to sync with my Mac, color display, and Palm OS (so I can keep the apps I've been using on my aging Palm IIIxe). There are a lot of good models coming down the pipe this year, but I fear I won't have the patience to wait. So the Tungsten is worth a look for me.

Escher
  • Reply 4 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Escher, the the hi-res screen is nice because of the reasons you mentioned and the added benefit of allowing USEFUL icons for categorization of to-dos/appts/etc. It's amazing how clear the screen is. Even at really small sizes, the text is perfectly legible.

-t

ps - the standard reference is the DSM-IV, but psychlopedia sounds much catchier.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    MEE! MEEE! PICK ME!!

Yup, I graduated from an m515. Like my T|T quite a lot but it's too slippery and the slider is loose. Unfortunately, even after tightening the slider bolts, it's still loose. I am considering jumping to the Sony camp. Their PDAs seem to have more of a solid feel and they are minus the sliding graffiti gimmick. Unless Palm increases quality, my next PDA will be a non-Palm.

Don't get me wrong, I like Palm but their quality is quite lacking unfortunately.

Matt A