Apple just released iPadOS 13.1 - here's what features to look for

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2019
After a summer of beta testing, Apple has just released iPadOS 13.1. The revamped operating system focused on the iPad brings in plenty of new features, running the gamut from system-wide changes to smaller, but equally useful improvements.

iPadOS 13

iPadOS was announced at Apple's WWDC event in June of 2019. While still based on the iOS operating system, iPadOS brings unique features and improvements specifically to the iPad. Thanks to the betas Apple has released over the last several months, we already knew much of what was going to show up in iPadOS 13. Here's a rundown of the features that iPadOS 13 has brought to to the iPad.

iPad Home screen

The new iPad Home screen distinguishes itself further from the iPhone by shrinking the sizes of the icons and adding in a new way to interface with Today View. Today View is accessed by swiping right and can even be locked in place, allowing easy access to widgets by taking advantage of the iPad's larger screen.

External storage support

The iPad can now support external storage. Connect a USB-C storage device to an iPad, and it will show as a source within the Files app. This allows users to copy files to or from external storage, saving space on the iPad and making it easier to transfer files between different devices.

Apple Pencil improvements

The Apple Pencil has had its latency reduced from 20 milliseconds to a mere nine milliseconds. This effect will be most perceivable on newest generations of iPads and Apple Pencils, though all iPads and Apple Pencils will show improvements.

Improved screenshots

A new gesture allows users to swipe up from the bottom left or right corner of the iPad with the Apple Pencil to take a screenshot. If you're taking a screenshot of a website, you can capture the full page rather than simply what is visible on screen. Once captured, the image can be marked up and then saved as a PDF to the Files App, and shared using Share Sheet in iPadOS.

Mouse support

A big win for accessibility, iPadOS 13 gives users who can't interface with a touch screen the ability to use their iPad with either a USB or Bluetooth mouse or joystick. Coupled with iOS 13 and Catalina's revamped voice control, this round of updated operating systems gives more users the chance to utilize Apple's products.

Apple's iPadOS 13.1 is available now, through the System Update functionality.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Looking forward to trying this. The mouse support looks weird however.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    Weird I never got the option to update to 13.0. Will check it out, looks like a nice update.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 26
    cornchip said:
    Weird I never got the option to update to 13.0. Will check it out, looks like a nice update.
    That's because the first release of iPadOS is 13.1 - not 13.0.
    edited September 2019 macseekerdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Does anyone know where to look or what to search for in the App Store re fonts? I.E. are these Apple created fonts or by any app developer? 
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Did Apple fix the 3-finger gesture interference with non-cut/copy/paste GUI elements? This idiotic design makes it impossible to play polyphonically in soft-synth/MIDI music apps. 
  • Reply 6 of 26
    When is actually the update released for HomePod?
    zroger73StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Is the ability to share a folder in iCloud Drive disabled for anyone else? Works on iPhone, not working in the release 13.1 on my iPad. 

Also, if it's true that a shared folder can only be shared with another iCloud account, this is disappointing. Had wanted to publicly share folders with others just like in Dropbox, which is now overpriced and of lessening value.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Notes app syncing still seems to be a mess. With iPad OS 3.1 installed on a 2018 11" iPad Pro and iOs 13.1 on an iPhone X, both with 256 GB of storage, a handwritten note created on the iPad with the Apple pencil showed up on the iPhone -- after 25 minutes -- only as a title and a blank page. Trying again, with a keyboard-entered note on the iPad, resulted in nothing at all on the iPhone, even after several hours.

I've not run any of the v.13 iOS, or iPadOS betas, or Catalina betas on my  27" 2019 iMac (Mojave 10.14.6), so neither of those configurations seem to have been an issue. I did install iOS 3.0 on the phone on Sept. 21st (contrary to the advice of experts, including those here at AI, my bad....) This might possibly have contributed to the sync failures I've been experiencing, but I haven't made any attempt to create a new note, nor to edit an old one on the Notes app on my iMac since I switched to v.13.0/13.1 on my iDevices, so I doubt that the Mojave version of the Notes app was in any way involved.

Should I just give up, and pray for the early release of iOS and iPadOs v.13.2?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    I updated to iPadOS this morning and it keeps asking me to update Apple ID Settings. I enter my iCloud password and it goes away and pops back up again in the settings app 30 seconds later. I probably have entered my password a dozen times now. Anyone have this issue? It's pretty annoying. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    this is an extremely buggy OS! don’t downgrade to it. The keyboard bug is the worst, with the keyboard hovering over your text and obscuring it. Right now for exampke I donK see what I type....extremely annoying
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 26
    I have been waiting for this for ages, trying so hard to resist downloading beta profile. So really looking forward to finally be able playing Apple Arcade on bigger screen. Is this expected to be released 30th of Sept?

Edit: oh it's here!

Edit2: Bohler, why should I trust you? *proceed to install iPadOS 13.1
    edited September 2019 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Other than my apparent inability to share a folder, I’m having no issues on our iPads, and would heartily recommend installing it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    My Wife's iPad Pro (10.5 inch) MPHH2LL/A currently running iOS 12.4 is not seeing the iPadOS 13.1 release. I have attempted over the course of the day to update as well as turning the iPad On/Off numerous times with no results for an update showing up. Did not run any Beta versions this go around. Quit all apps that were running. Located in the South Central USA for whatever that is worth (maybe Apple doesn't like us  ;).
    Any thoughts on why?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Unfortunately I just installed iPadOS. Unable to connect to my WiFi network or my iPhone hotspot. Rendering my iPad nearly useless. I can’t connect to iCloud so none of my messages and other data aren’t available. 
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Just installed iPadOS. First, it is the easiest update ever and took only 15 mins total from beginning to end smoothly. Second, once it's finished, everything looks the same like before. It is already connected to my workplace WIFI, all the Apps and layout are there. Nothing changes on the surface, not until you play around and notice a lot of changes underneath. I highly recommend to upgrade it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 26
    My battery life on my iPhone SE took a noticeable hit with iOS 13 and 13.1 isn’t much better. 😕
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Other than my apparent inability to share a folder, I’m having no issues on our iPads, and would heartily recommend installing it. 
    I fixed the issue from my previous post. I can't share a folder on my iPad either. It's actually not working on my iPhone as well. Both devices, I select a folder and the share button is greyed out. I can only share individual files in my iCloud drive, not folders on my iPhone. 
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 26
    I managed to fix the problem outlined in my earlier post (notes not syncing between my iPad and iPhone) by toggling the iCloud sync on both devices off and then on again.

Shortly thereafter, though, another bug popped up on my iPhone. The lock sound stopped working. I fixed that, at least temporarily, by rebooting the phone.

Needless to say, I'm not at all happy with these iOS 13 adventures. It looks as though we'll be beta-testing this supposedly stable release well into the Spring. What can I say? My relatively bug-free experience with iOS 12 apparently lulled me into a false sense of security. Note to self: OS releases that have a lot of new features also have a lot of new bugs. Get over it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 26
    dysamoria said:
    Did Apple fix the 3-finger gesture interference with non-cut/copy/paste GUI elements? This idiotic design makes it impossible to play polyphonically in soft-synth/MIDI music apps. 
    I just tried like half a dozen synths on my iPad running 13.1 and didn't run into this problem once. Idiotic design you say?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 26

MarkR said:
    Unfortunately I just installed iPadOS. Unable to connect to my WiFi network or my iPhone hotspot. Rendering my iPad nearly useless. I can’t connect to iCloud so none of my messages and other data aren’t available. 
    Reset your Network Settings. 
    watto_cobra