Apple leads the entire US PC market in consumer satisfaction

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
Apple is continuing to be one of the top-performing computer producers in the PC market, customer satisfaction ratings reveal, with it topping the ACSI rankings for the second year in a row.

MacBook Pro

The latest American Customer Satisfaction Index Household Appliance and Electronics Report for 2018 to 2019 shows Apple is the best PC supplier in the entire industry in the United States, achieving a "stable" ACSI score of 83 overall. This is the same score Apple attained in the previous year's survey, where it also secured first place.

For the overall chart, Samsung is in second with 81 points, down from 82 scored last year, Amazon is down from 82 to 79, HP is level at 78 points, and Acer, Dell, and Toshiba all saw improvements to 77 points from 75, 73, and 71 points respectively.

As a whole, the personal computers segment saw customer satisfaction rise from 77 points on average to 78 points. ACSI also advises the score puts Apple at the top of the charts for the notebook and tablet segments, for the MacBook and iPad ranges respectively, meanwhile, Samsung is rated the best in desktop satisfaction, closely followed by Apple.

The data is thought to show "higher perceptions of value are driving this year's improvement" for PCs, though ACSI warns this may be short-lived.

"While U.S. and China trade disputes have yet to negatively impact consumer demand, the imposition of tariffs could drive up prices, causing customers to forgo or delay purchases," said ACSI managing director David VanAmburg. "Now more than ever, computer manufacturers must demonstrate their value and necessity to overcome pricing concerns. That means focusing more on design and ease of operation, and creating more accessories."

While the tariffs will apply to most of Apple's Mac and MacBook lineup, certain computer parts imported from China destined for the Mac Pro will not receive the extra charges.

Consumers continue to be appreciative of the design of a computer, with the experience relating to it maintained at 82 points out of 100 for the industry as a whole. Graphics and sound quality has improved from 80 to 81, with software availability maintained at 80. Reliability is also up, with the "ability to keep system crashes to a minimum" up from 77 to 79 points.

Support continues to be a problem for the industry, but it is improving, with call center satisfaction up from 67 to 68 points. ACSI highlights a difference in support quality across the board, with Apple, Samsung, and Amazon the top three and leading the field "by a wide margin."

Apple's high consumer satisfaction results are not just for its tablets and computers. In June, an ACSI survey of US smartphone users saw Apple and Samsung tied with a score of 81, but while the iPhone X, 8 Plus, and SE tied with the Moto G, Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime, and S8+ with 83 points, the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 was at the top with 86.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I have to say my Apple experience as been very good. That is why I always try to go Apple when I can. I normally dismiss minor glitch's with quality because my overall experience has been brilliant. 
    lkruppSolimagman1979StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Been buying Macs for over twenty years now. Only time I got burned was the liquid cooled Power Mac G5. Damn thing leaked and blew up the power supply. Apple fixed it free but it didn’t last long after that.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Have as much experience as I do with ALL of the other brands listed, and knowing how shitty they are, I find it astonishing the index value between them is that close!

I can only think of two possibilities why that is...

1) This data is "sponsored", which is often the case, or
    2) The majority of consumers really have become so inept that they cannot tell the differences, and we've firmly moved into the "it's good enough" mentality
    edited September 2019 minisu1980watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Have as much experience as I do with ALL of the other brands listed, and knowing how shitty they are, I find it astonishing the index value between them is that close!

2) The majority of consumers really have become so inept that they cannot tell the differences, and we've firmly moved into the "it's good enough" mentality
    I think it's because the people polled only have experience with one product. Once upon a time I was a Windows guy and I just accepted the countless annoyances and let downs as the price paid for using technology. It was only after switching to my first Apple computer (iMac with first Intel processor) did I realize exactly how poor the Windows/PC experience truly was. This poll likely looks like this:
    1) 70% people who have only used Windows/PC's. They don't know there are greener pastures, so they compare barren fields to one another and try to find the best one.
    2) 20% people who have only used Mac. These people have only resided in green pastures so they really don't know how much better they have it then those in the barrens.
    3) 10% people who were Windows and are now Mac. These people can truly appreciate the difference and the overall experience allows them to overlook small issues as they know how bad the alternative is.
    hydrogenAppleExposedStrangeDaysbadmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    How is this news? Thought Apple was #1 for a decade running?

I think it's because the people polled only have experience with one product. Once upon a time I was a Windows guy and I just accepted the countless annoyances and let downs as the price paid for using technology. It was only after switching to my first Apple computer (iMac with first Intel processor) did I realize exactly how poor the Windows/PC experience truly was. This poll likely looks like this:
    1) 70% people who have only used Windows/PC's. They don't know there are greener pastures, so they compare barren fields to one another and try to find the best one.
    2) 20% people who have only used Mac. These people have only resided in green pastures so they really don't know how much better they have it then those in the barrens.
    3) 10% people who were Windows and are now Mac. These people can truly appreciate the difference and the overall experience allows them to overlook small issues as they know how bad the alternative is.

I'm in the 10%. It's funny listening to Windows users explain how crappy Apple is. LOL!

Windows machines are nowhere near Apple quality. What you're seeing is Apple haters spamming polls. Happens often.

It's also funny seeing every company in the world Vs. Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    My new iMac kicks ass. I'm a pro software dev and this thing screams. Plus, Boot Camp for playing Skyrim w/ "ultra" settings...sweet. 

Recent Apple retail experience was great -- yesterday I saw they had the iPhone 11 in stock at my local store, so I canceled my web order and bought the local one, where they then gave me a time slot to pick it up. 10 minutes into that window window they had it in my hands. I gave them my X for $400 (400 bucks!) and was on my way. 

Despite using Apple ][ and early Macs at school, I too was once a Windows guy at home, from my first 386 SX Laser brand PC (actually shipped w/ GeoWorks, a superior competitor to Windows), to the 486s I built for gaming from then on, to my pro life as a dot com and Windows developer. But...now it's nothing but Apple at home.
    edited September 2019 lkruppwatto_cobrabakedbananas
  • Reply 7 of 15
    I find it disheartening that so many customers find satisfaction with Apple these days. Why? Because that ensures that Apple will not change its ways any time soon, and I am not in agreement with the trajectory it is on. In my mind, this illustrates the abysmal state of personal computing these days. The personal computing revolution is officially dead; personal computing is but a commodity. I should be ecstatic, however, that I lived it from start to finish, drinking the Kool-Aid and reveling in the passion for (nearly) everything Apple from its inception to Jobs passing. Those were exemplary times indeed, incredibly exciting. Rarely does one get to witness and participate in a paradigm shift where technology and culture intersect in such an impactful way. One thing that really satisfies me is that I got it from day one. Ah, the good old days. They weren't as technologically advanced, but they were far more free and far more edgy. Too bad Apple's new customers missed that. They might demand more from Apple. Why? Because it can do much better, provide its customers with far better value and a superior user experience. I know. I lived it.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I am reasonably satisfied with all my Apple purchases - with high price I expected good quality and I am not disappointed so far: watch, phone, ipad, imac, macbook pro, tv, homepod, airpod. Not only they are working seamlessly well together, they are also look good together.
    badmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Rajka said:
    I find it disheartening that so many customers find satisfaction with Apple these days. Why? Because that ensures that Apple will not change its ways any time soon, and I am not in agreement with the trajectory it is on. In my mind, this illustrates the abysmal state of personal computing these days. The personal computing revolution is officially dead; personal computing is but a commodity. I should be ecstatic, however, that I lived it from start to finish, drinking the Kool-Aid and reveling in the passion for (nearly) everything Apple from its inception to Jobs passing. Those were exemplary times indeed, incredibly exciting. Rarely does one get to witness and participate in a paradigm shift where technology and culture intersect in such an impactful way. One thing that really satisfies me is that I got it from day one. Ah, the good old days. They weren't as technologically advanced, but they were far more free and far more edgy. Too bad Apple's new customers missed that. They might demand more from Apple. Why? Because it can do much better, provide its customers with far better value and a superior user experience. I know. I lived it.

For god sake, it's not like Apple is getting 100 points. There 17 points that they can improve from here.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    xixoxixo Posts: 450member
    Negative was the 2011 MacBook Pro - worst laptop I ever owned and apple wouldn't admit there was a video card problem for Y E A R S

Positive is the iMac Pro - best computer I have ever owned, and I've had Macs since I first bought a Mac 128k back in 1984.

Lenovo makes great servers, BTW.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 11 of 15
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    How is this news? Thought Apple was #1 for a decade running?

Windows machines are nowhere near Apple quality. What you're seeing is Apple haters spamming polls. Happens often.

It's also funny seeing every company in the world Vs. Apple.
    In my experience, there are many Windows machines that are as good or better than Apple devices.  Most of my customers have Thinkpads, and those are excellent devices.  Same as HP and Lenovo workstations.  Maybe you should try some high end Windows devices.  They are far better than what you see and consumer retailers.  
  • Reply 12 of 15
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    My new iMac kicks ass. I'm a pro software dev and this thing screams. Plus, Boot Camp for playing Skyrim w/ "ultra" settings...sweet. 

Recent Apple retail experience was great -- yesterday I saw they had the iPhone 11 in stock at my local store, so I canceled my web order and bought the local one, where they then gave me a time slot to pick it up. 10 minutes into that window window they had it in my hands. I gave them my X for $400 (400 bucks!) and was on my way. 

Despite using Apple ][ and early Macs at school, I too was once a Windows guy at home, with my first 386 SX Laser brand PC (actually shipped w/ GeoWorks, a superior competitor to Windows), to the 486s I built for gaming from then on, to my pro life as a dot com and Windows developer. But...now it's nothing but Apple at home.
    Are you sure you are "nothing but Apple at home?... ;)
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 15
    “The Entire PC market” not counting Apple is running Windows 10.

That doesn’t really give Apple a very high bar to vault over.

I switched to Mac OS about 3 years ago.  Windows 10 was the primary reason.  Although now I regret it took me so long.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Rajka said:
    That certainly was a lot of words. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    My experience using Apple PCs has been good so far, and i am not thinking of switching brands any time soon. iMac Pro is my current favorite.
    watto_cobra