Disney CEO Bob Iger says left Apple board because 'paths were conflicting'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2019
Disney CEO Bob Iger in an interview on Tuesday explained his departure from Apple's board of directors, saying the tech giant's recent interest in the entertainment industry puts the companies on "conflicting rather than converging" paths.

Jobs and Iger
Steve Jobs (left) introduced Disney CEO Bob Iger at an Apple event in 2005. | Source: A.P. Photo via Vanity Fair

Speaking with Jim Cramer, host of CNBC's "Mad Money," Iger confirmed suspicions that a potential conflict of interest between Disney and Apple's nascent streaming businesses prompted his resignation from latter's board.

"The reason I got off the board as they got more and more into creating television shows and movies, it became more clear to me our paths were conflicting rather than converging," Iger said. "I just thought it was the right thing to do."

He went on to repeat a broad assessment of Apple's position in the streaming industry, saying the sector is not yet a major focus for the company. It is, however, important for Disney.

"The business is still relatively small for Apple, but meaningful for Disney, and it wasn't right," Iger said.

In November, Apple will launch the for-pay Apple TV+ with a slate of original content, a product designed to compete with stalwarts Netflix, Amazon and Hulu, as well as the forthcoming Disney+ service that also debuts this fall.

Iger officially stepped down from Apple's board on Sept. 10, though the departure was not publicly revealed until the iPhone maker filed a mandatory report with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission three days later. While Iger issued a statement lauding Apple, his eight years on the company's board, current CEO Tim Cook and fellow board members, Apple has not yet commented on the matter.

"Tim has done a great job," Iger reiterated during Tuesday's CNBC interview. "No matter what direction you look, I think you'd conclude that company is one of the great companies of the world."

Apple and Iger share a long history dating back to late co-founder Steve Jobs, who first dealt with the Disney executive through his dealings with Pixar. Jobs became Disney's largest individual stakeholder following its purchase of Pixar, and the tech guru quickly became a trusted board member who often chimed in on critical decisions. He also built a close personal relationship with Iger.

In an excerpt from his upcoming memoir, "The Ride of A Lifetime: Lessons Learned from 15 Years as CEO of the Walt Disney Company," Iger posited that Disney and Apple would have "combined" if Jobs were still alive, an outcome that bears no resemblance to today's reality.

Disney will continue to distribute content through iTunes and maintain a presence on the App Store.
applesnoranges

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Iger did the right thing for the right reason.  Best of luck to him and Disney.
    applesnorangesmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    To those who claim Apple TV+ has no correlation with Disney.... Iger's statement is "conflicting" with yours.

Sorry but TV+ content is serious for Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    To those who claim Apple TV+ has no correlation with Disney.... Iger's statement is "conflicting" with yours.

Sorry but TV+ content is serious for Apple.
    Maybe you should read Iger’s statement again.  Little slower this time, especially when you get to the part about it being a “small business” for Apple.
    muthuk_vanalingambigtdsavon b7
  • Reply 4 of 19
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Hmmm, when Eric Schmidt left, Google stole the iPhone. Are Disney stealing AppleTV?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    mcdave said:
    Hmmm, when Eric Schmidt left, Google stole the iPhone. Are Disney stealing AppleTV?
    Sure, that makes perfect sense. I mean, Disney only already owns The Walt Disney Studios, which includes Walt Disney Pictures, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Fox, Fox 2000 Pictures, Fox Searchlight Pictures, Blue Sky Studios, ABC,  Disney Channel, ESPN, Freeform, FX, and National Geographic, so they definitely would need an insider to steal intellectual property from Apple on how to set up a media company. 
    montrosemacsmuthuk_vanalingambala1234mike1avon b7zoetmbchemengin1pscooter63gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    mcdave said:
    Sure, that makes perfect sense. I mean, Disney only already owns The Walt Disney Studios, which includes Walt Disney Pictures, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Fox, Fox 2000 Pictures, Fox Searchlight Pictures, Blue Sky Studios, ABC,  Disney Channel, ESPN, Freeform, FX, and National Geographic, so they definitely would need an insider to steal intellectual property from Apple on how to set up a media company. 
     :D  :D :D :D sarcastic much...

anyway...

I wish Iger all the best in his endeavors. He left for the right reasons, and he's a bigger man for it. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    mcdave said:
    Ya, but even with all that they still can’t make a proper Star Wars movie. You expect them to hit the tech part of it out of the park? 😉
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    mcdave said:
    I think this shows that Iger is just a more ethical person. Schmidt stayed until he had stolen all of the iOS information that he could. Iger is leaving when it became clear that Apple and Disney would be competing.
    MacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    I honestly wish there was a hardware/service partnership for content instead of companies trying to do both. Usually the company is good at one, and when they get into the other they are only mediocre, and as time goes on and people from one side of the company insist on meddling with the other side the entire thing turns to crap. 
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Reminder that Iger is planning on retiring in 2021, after multiple delays requested by the Disney board of directors.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    DAalseth said:
    mcdave said:
    I think this shows that Iger is just a more ethical person. Schmidt stayed until he had stolen all of the iOS information that he could. Iger is leaving when it became clear that Apple and Disney would be competing.
    Well said.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    razorpit said:
    mcdave said:
    Ya, but even with all that they still can’t make a proper Star Wars movie. You expect them to hit the tech part of it out of the park? 😉
    Rogue One was well done. The Sequels have suffered from the switch in directors.
    firelockpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    razorpit said:
    mcdave said:
    Rogue One was well done. The Sequels have suffered from the switch in directors.
    I liked Rogue One. Actually one of my favorites although I know that's not aways one of the more popular opinions. Personally I believe it was good because it survived Disney's interference, not because of it.

One out of four isn't a good average, especially when you are a movie studio. Looking forward to the Mandalorian, looks to be in a similar style/story telling as Rogue One. Couldn't care less for Episode 9. Might not even bother to see it until it hits Disney +. Having seen them all in theaters I can't believe I feel this way now towards the series...
    SpamSandwichpscooter63
  • Reply 14 of 19
    razorpit said:
    razorpit said:
    mcdave said:
    I liked Rogue One. Actually one of my favorites although I know that's not aways one of the more popular opinions. Personally I believe it was good because it survived Disney's interference, not because of it.

One out of four isn't a good average, especially when you are a movie studio. Looking forward to the Mandalorian, looks to be in a similar style/story telling as Rogue One. Couldn't care less for Episode 9. Might not even bother to see it until it hits Disney +. Having seen them all in theaters I can't believe I feel this way now towards the series...
    I agree about The Mandalorian. Favreau is a total Star Wars nerd and it shows. He loves this stuff.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    razorpit said:
    mcdave said:
    Rogue One might just be the best Star Wars  of all - IMHO, of course. I’ve watched it at least three times and enjoyed it each time. And the final trilogy has been very good so far. Solo was as ‘dull as dishwater’, unfortunately. I have high hopes for the finale. I’m old enough to have lived through all the fuss around the original trilogy. Overall I think I’ve watched each of them three or four times but none of them makes for compelling viewing anymore. Sadly, the prequel trilogy was largely dull and uninteresting! Again, in my humble opinion. Your mileage may vary, naturally. (I’ve no desire to offend anyone, as I’ve merely expressed a personal opinion. Please don’t let this affect your day!)
    fastasleeppscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    razorpit said:
    mcdave said:
    Super edgy take, bro. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    razorpit said:
    mcdave said:
    Super edgy take, bro. 
    Thanks dude.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    mcdave said:
    Media company? I meant the product (though difficult to know if that’s hardware, software or service these days)
  • Reply 19 of 19
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    mcdave said:
    mcdave said:
    Media company? I meant the product (though difficult to know if that’s hardware, software or service these days)
    What do you think Disney+ is? They don’t need to steal hardware.