Early iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro benchmarks reveal 4GB of RAM across all models

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    cgWerks said:
    doyoulikepie said:
    There's only a grain of truth to the cross platform argument; Apple knows they have dismal RAM specs so they don't share them. In any case, conjecture is over... The first actual side by side speed tests are on YouTube. And guess what? The Note 10+ crushes the iPhone 11 pro Max, especially at RAM management... Which isn't too surprising. I expected more from the A13 chip, but no one is surprised 4gb of RAM is inadequate. 
    I can't speak to this generation (and I don't care enough about it to put in any effort checking), but that hasn't been true in the past. If Apple skimped too much this time, well then bad on them.

I'd imagine that RAM will become more important as apps get more pro. Up until recently, it just didn't really matter.
    I guess I care when I'm paying 1100 dollars for a premium device, but that's just me thinking about things other than Apple logos I suppose. You concede that it may matter soon/does even now yet are fine with Apple's atrocious 4 gb offering... fascinating. 12gb of ram and 256gb storage along with fingerprint reader, far faster charging, better and larger display, s pen, reverse wireless charging, DeX experience, almost identical camera experience based on SuperSaf comparison... Where's the advantage in the iPhone? 

Also, as a logical point of reference, flagship phones today have processing power similar to many desktop PCs and certainly laptop workstations. They push just as many or more pixels than most PCs. Have you ever heard of anyone ever try to argue that RAM doesn't matter on a PC or Mac?  Yet, somehow when identical computational tasks are performed on mobile devices Apple die-hards argue that RAM is totally irrelevant... please explain that logic. 
    edited September 2019 gatorguy
  • Reply 42 of 48

RAM management vs Galaxy Fold which also has 12 gb ram like the Note 10 plus. 
  • Reply 43 of 48
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    doyoulikepie said:
    I guess I care when I'm paying 1100 dollars for a premium device, but that's just me thinking about things other than Apple logos I suppose. You concede that it may matter soon/does even now yet are fine with Apple's atrocious 4 gb offering... fascinating. 12gb of ram and 256gb storage along with fingerprint reader, far faster charging, better and larger display, s pen, reverse wireless charging, DeX experience, almost identical camera experience based on SuperSaf comparison... Where's the advantage in the iPhone? 

Also, as a logical point of reference, flagship phones today have processing power similar to many desktop PCs and certainly laptop workstations. They push just as many or more pixels than most PCs. Have you ever heard of anyone ever try to argue that RAM doesn't matter on a PC or Mac?  Yet, somehow when identical computational tasks are performed on mobile devices Apple die-hards argue that RAM is totally irrelevant... please explain that logic. 
    The reason I don't care, is all these new phones are just too darn big. I'm not in the market for something like that, no matter the specs.

The reason I said that it hasn't much mattered in the past, is that most people haven't been trying to do desktop like workflows with phones. What has been holding that back is just kind of a reality of the form-factor, combined with inadequate OSs and apps. What that means, is that Apple was able to make their devices perform the tasks the devices did better than other makers with more RAM onboard. So, the actual number was kind of irrelevant, it was about the experience. As I think Rene Ritchie once said (paraphrasing)... they brought specs to a UX battle (speaking of Android makers).

My point is that it will start mattering more, now that the OS/apps are becoming a bit more desktop like in capabilities, especially if we ever start plugging those phones into bigger displays and using external input devices enough to impact app development.

You seem to be a spec person given your list. I'm more concerned about how it all actually works.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    cgWerks said:
    doyoulikepie said:
    There's only a grain of truth to the cross platform argument; Apple knows they have dismal RAM specs so they don't share them. In any case, conjecture is over... The first actual side by side speed tests are on YouTube. And guess what? The Note 10+ crushes the iPhone 11 pro Max, especially at RAM management... Which isn't too surprising. I expected more from the A13 chip, but no one is surprised 4gb of RAM is inadequate. 
    I can't speak to this generation (and I don't care enough about it to put in any effort checking), but that hasn't been true in the past. If Apple skimped too much this time, well then bad on them.

I'd imagine that RAM will become more important as apps get more pro. Up until recently, it just didn't really matter.

You know the solution very well of "your" problem (it's not a problem that I share with, so it's yours and yours truly). Get a Samsung and stop complaining about iPhone. Your idea about RAM is not applicable for iOS. iOS memory management is extremely efficient due to its tight vertical design - which Android and Galaxy do not have. Which is why you see big RAM on most Android phones (I would argue not all Android phone has same problem, for example Google's own Pixel does not require big RAM either) for two things:
    1. Their memory management is less efficient compare to iOS
    2. They can brag about it.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 45 of 48
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    kevin kee said:
    You know the solution very well of "your" problem (it's not a problem that I share with, so it's yours and yours truly). Get a Samsung and stop complaining about iPhone. Your idea about RAM is not applicable for iOS. iOS memory management is extremely efficient due to its tight vertical design - which Android and Galaxy do not have. Which is why you see big RAM on most Android phones (I would argue not all Android phone has same problem, for example Google's own Pixel does not require big RAM either) for two things:
    1. Their memory management is less efficient compare to iOS
    2. They can brag about it.
    To be fair, though, I think as we get more 'pro' apps running on iPhones and iPads, it will begin to not just be about memory management and the OS, but enough RAM for the particular task at hand. I wonder how long it will be, at least for devices like the iPad Pro, where we'll be able to pick how much RAM?
  • Reply 46 of 48
    cgWerks said:
    doyoulikepie said:

Nobody cares. Why are you here? 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 47 of 48
    Carnage said:
    The fact that the iPhone 11 series has the iPhone12,1 product number series gives me hives.

To borrow a quote from DED: This has all happened before.

The 6th generation iPhone was called the iPhone 5 and people went ballistic.

Uhm, I believe only TS went bazurk 😃

Where is he btw? It's been years since I the last time I read a comment from him here.
    Banned, thank fucking christ. Just don't say his full name three times.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    Has anyone noticed a “lag” when opening a picture to edit it  with the stock photo app?  Only a sec or so but noticeable.  Never had this on my xr.   Always immediately opened.  

Just to be clear.  I take the pic.  Go to photos from the camera app.  Press edit.  Takes a sec or so to open editing software.  

Could this be related to not enough RAM. Or a iOS 13 bug