Google Chrome update corrupting some macOS installs -- but there's a fix

Posted:
in macOS
Google has confirmed the existence of an issue in a Chrome update that has reportedly affected movie studios that use the Avid video editing suite on the cylindrical Mac Pro, with the company offering a solution to the issue it claims will recover affected machines.

Issues were largely reported to happen to the Mac Pro, though it is likely due to its usage in creative industries
Issues were largely reported to happen to the Mac Pro, though it is likely due to its usage in creative industries

Reports on Monday surfaced claiming video editors in Los Angeles were discovering their Mac Pro workstations were refusing to boot or would "slowly crash" during use. While initial reports proposed the issue was malware or a virus affecting Avid Media Composer version 8.8 or later on a 6.1 Mac Pro running a version of macOS prior to High Sierra, investigations led to the issue with the Chrome update.

After publishing a list of commands for Terminal to fix the problem late on Tuesday, Google Support has since produced a support page explaining both the error and a more refined Terminal command list.

According to Google Support, the issue was a Chrome update that had a "bug that damages the file system on macOS machines with System Integrity Protection (SIP) disabled," as well as machines that do not support SIP. Google has paused the release of the Chrome update while a new update can be finalized without the bug.

Users who have not taken steps to disable SIP, and are running OS X 10.9 cannot be affected by the issue at all. The videographers had a higher rate of incidence for the problem, because to enable hacks for external GPUs to work on Thunderbolt 2 chains, SIP has to be disabled.

The recovery process for affected Macs requires users to boot into recovery mode, then to go to the Utilities menu and open the Terminal application. Assuming an afflicted computer's boot drive is called "Macintosh HD" Google recommends running the following list of commands in Terminal, then rebooting.
chroot /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD
rm -rf /Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle
mv var var_back
ln -sh private/var var
chflags -h restricted /var
chflags -h hidden /var
xattr -sw com.apple.rootless "" /var
Google has amplifying information in regards to the Terminal commands on the support page.

The command list is very similar to the previously published advice, with the goal of creating a symlink fix while enabling the removal of Keystone's LaunchAgents, but with the addition of a line to turn the existing var folder into a backup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    The internet is pretty wonderful in its ability to disseminate useful information, obscure or not.

I was re-imaging a 2007 & 2008 iMac that I put little SSDs in (still beautiful, basic internet terminal).  I replaced the little button-cell battery on both, but only one lost the date (which I didn't know).

Upon trying to load the O/S, it said something about not finding "valid packages", even though I had done the same process as on the first one. 
    Total "wtf" right? 
    I re-imaged my little USB-2.0 thumb drive with the O/S to re-copy the "packages", but no luck.

Internet search found a forum entry:  "Oh yeah, it lost the date, open terminal and type this command in this format...."

Done.

I barely remember my first-PC life with my 1989-era Austin 286 PC, 16Mhz, 40MB Hard drive, where a game wouldn't work unless you manually set IRQ and DMA channels. 
    Sometimes waiting on a phone for 40 minutes for tech-support, or talking to "that guy at work" that just knew everything...

E.

PS:  I still have the little 0.75"-square chip from that 286, (it's from AMD), 
    It's in a desk drawer with my sD cards, thumb-drives, and old RAM sticks.
    zoetmbjeffythequickmuthuk_vanalingamJWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 56
    Why would anyone on a Mac ditch Safari for Chrome is beyond me. This piece o garbage is a resource hog on par with some scientific computing programs I’m running.

Safari is one of the high points in my choosing of Apple hardware. But to each their own, dumb as it may appear... 
    steven n.magman1979StrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 56
    Not at all an excuse, but there are two big reasons people in these environments use Chrome - Remote Desktop and the browser itself is actually built into several applications.  Installing the browser system files will happen even if you do not actually install the actual browser.  By installing the browser, you are actually keeping your system up to date (and closing security vulnerabilities).

The real issue here is disabling SIP.  This happened for a LOT of video people because of eGPU and kexts with NVIDIA web drivers for a long time.  

• Reply 4 of 56
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    My 2 cents:  Drag the Chrome App to a running version of AppCleaner so as to get all its bits and delete the lot.
    auxiomagman1979steven n.watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 56
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So machines running the latest macOS with SIP were not affected by Google’s boo-boo? Maybe this security thing is actually worth some thing.

bsbeamer said:
    Not at all an excuse, but there are two big reasons people in these environments use Chrome - Remote Desktop and the browser itself is actually built into several applications.  Installing the browser system files will happen even if you do not actually install the actual browser.  By installing the browser, you are actually keeping your system up to date (and closing security vulnerabilities).

The real issue here is disabling SIP.  This happened for a LOT of video people because of eGPU and kexts with NVIDIA web drivers for a long time.  

Mac Pros shipped with Mavericks, then came Yosemite. SIP didn’t arrive until El Capitan. I would think that studios would be little motivated to update the operating system if the one running is doing the job for them. So my guess is that many of the machines that crashed were still on earlier versions of macOS without SIP, not that SIP was intentionally disabled. But why only the trashcan pro? Many users have Chrome installed on older Macs and older versions of macOS.

This latest hiccup has shown that these big tech companies, while competitors, are also interdependent on each other for software and hardware. One screws up and it affects  many levels and platforms. Apple centric tech blogs tend to focus on Apple related problems and tech blog comment sections are quick to blame and condemn Apple for everything that goes wrong. Not on this case it would seem.

[u] I take back the part about SIP. The article explains that videographers often use hacks to make their eGPUs work and disable SIP.
    edited September 2019 watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 56
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Why would anyone on a Mac ditch Safari for Chrome is beyond me. This piece o garbage is a resource hog on par with some scientific computing programs I’m running.

Safari is one of the high points in my choosing of Apple hardware. But to each their own, dumb as it may appear... 
    some corporate IT departments actually only support Chrome and Firefox, like mine which is part of a 10,000+ employee entertainment conglomerate which would actually run these types of machines and hardware.

Carnage
  • Reply 7 of 56
    Oh my not a perfect world? Holy cow 🐄 send me to Mars ASAP....hehe
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 56
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mac_128 said:

some corporate IT departments actually only support Chrome and Firefox, like mine which is part of a 10,000+ employee entertainment conglomerate which would actually run these types of machines and hardware.

Corporate IT departments have been the bane of Apple users for decades. While I can see the obvious problems in trying to support every browser and operating system platform they think they need to pick one or two and shut down the rest. I remember well the days when the first iPhone came out and corporate IT wonks went ballistic, refusing to allow iPhones on the network. Then one day the CEO came in with his/her brand new iPhone and was told it wouldn’t work. The response from the CEO was, “Well then, MAKE it work” and the rest is history.
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 56

You’d be hit by this even if you installed it and never actually used it since Chrome updates in the background unless you’ve manually disabled the Google background updater. 
  • Reply 10 of 56
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Because Chrome is more stable. Safari has random slowdowns all the time and the ocassional crash... I don't care about Chrome using more memory / battery (I'm plugged in), as long as its faster.
    bigtds
  • Reply 11 of 56
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    This is actually pretty strange. Judging by what they are doing to reverse the damage it looks like google broke the hard link from /private/var to /var and copied their own stuff into var. maybe because the /private was protected or something. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 56
    So based on the commands, it is not damaging the actual File System (HFS+ or APFS), but is making changes in directories it shouldn't be.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 56
    I actually avoid Google as much as possible. I have about 250 Google owned domains listed in /etc/hosts that point at 127.0.0.1. The idea of using a Google owned webbrowser, where every keystroke and every click could in theory be mined by the great all-seeing eye, just makes me sick.
    thtmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 56
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    greg uvan said:
    I actually avoid Google as much as possible. I have about 250 Google owned domains listed in /etc/hosts that point at 127.0.0.1. The idea of using a Google owned webbrowser, where every keystroke and every click could in theory be mined by the great all-seeing eye, just makes me sick.
    Care to share that section of your host file?  I'd love to paste it in.  I already have a few in but not a large list.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 56
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member

Users who have not taken steps to disable SIP, and are running OS X 10.9 cannot be affected by the issue at all.
    Isn't OS X 10.9 a rather small and selective subset? 10.9 was released in 2013!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 56
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    bsbeamer said:
    Not at all an excuse, but there are two big reasons people in these environments use Chrome - Remote Desktop
    VNC has been around for decades and works great (is built into macOS).  Why people feel the need to pipe everything through a web browser orfice... err... interface is beyond me.  I guess it's because so-called network security people think blocking everything except port 80 is a job well done.  I miss the days when there were nice, clean, low overhead, standardized network protocols for everything (FTP, SSH/SCP, VNC, etc).
  • Reply 17 of 56
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

lkrupp said:
    mac_128 said:

Corporate IT departments have been the bane of Apple users for decades. While I can see the obvious problems in trying to support every browser and operating system platform they think they need to pick one or two and shut down the rest.
    It's because the vast majority of people in IT departments simply got MSCE certified since that's the easiest way to get a job.  They have no clue about the underlying networking technologies used by every OS, and how, once you understand that foundation you can configure your network to support anything.  They only know the very limited, scripted information they were given.

I remember well the days when the first iPhone came out and corporate IT wonks went ballistic, refusing to allow iPhones on the network. Then one day the CEO came in with his/her brand new iPhone and was told it wouldn’t work. The response from the CEO was, “Well then, MAKE it work” and the rest is history.
    Yup, that's typically the only way change happens.  When those people are at risk of losing their jobs, suddenly their minds open again.
    dysamoriamagman1979cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 56
    foljs said:
    Because Chrome is more stable. Safari has random slowdowns all the time and the ocassional crash... I don't care about Chrome using more memory / battery (I'm plugged in), as long as its faster.

Very subjective feedback. I use Safari all day long every day and never experience a crash. Never. It's my preferred browser. I use Chrome occasionally, too. When's the last time you actually used Safari?

I find it heartwarming that this problem was caused by Google, a company that can do no wrong in so many people's eyes. I'm surrounded by people that insist on choosing Google products, and refuse to look at anything else. And they say that Mac users live in a closed environment? Nothing is more closed than choosing one vendor for your productivity software.

dysamoriamagman1979StrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 56
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    ANOTHER reason I try not to use Chrome, or any Google product. Security aside, they just aren’t made that well. At work they install Chrome as the default, but other then that I just don’t.
    magman1979pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 56

auxio said:
    bsbeamer said:
    Not at all an excuse, but there are two big reasons people in these environments use Chrome - Remote Desktop
    VNC has been around for decades and works great (is built into macOS).  Why people feel the need to pipe everything through a web browser orfice... err... interface is beyond me.  I guess it's because so-called network security people think blocking everything except port 80 is a job well done.  I miss the days when there were nice, clean, low overhead, standardized network protocols for everything (FTP, SSH/SCP, VNC, etc).

SSH, VNC and SFTP/FTP-over-SSH are alive and well. Don't let the silly browser plugin developers think these protocols have gone away. They haven't, not by a long shot. In fact, Apple Remote Desktop uses VNC when you connect to another Mac, even today.

watto_cobra