Apple adds external storage support for iMovie, new content for Clips in app updates

Posted:
in iOS
On the heels of Tuesday's release of iOS 13.1, Apple issued a pair of updates to first-party video content creation apps iMovie and Clips, adding new features like support for external storage, Dark Mode and more.

iMovie

The latest version 2.2.8 of iMovie offers users the ability to access files and media from external hard drives, SD cards via card readers and USB drives. Similar functionality was added to the Files app with the release of iOS 13 last week.

In addition to new external storage, iMovie now automatically adjusts a selected soundtrack to match a movie's specified length when new theme music is added in project settings. Previously, users were prompted to manually trim audio.

The latest iMovie release also supports Dark Mode and Share Sheet options in iOS 13, as well as the usual performance and stability improvements.

As for Clips, Apple's video clip creator gets access to 19 animated emoji stickers like party poppers with confetti. Users can apply the stickers on top of created content for a fun, unique look.

Alongside emoji stickers, Clips adds three new posters in an embossed snowflake card, red envelope for Lunar New Year and glowing candles.

Like iMovie, Clips also gains support for iOS 13's new Dark Mode and Share Sheet capabilities. Performance and stability improvements are likewise incorporated in the latest release.

Both iMovie and Clips are free downloads from the iOS App Store, with iMovie coming in at 617.3MB and Clips tipping the scales at 173.4MB.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Clips is a great quick go to video app for creative and fun video Clips.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Not too happy with the external storage -  I encrypt my any external drives and those don't seem to be recognized.   Also having difficulty with simple unencrypted thumb drives - sometimes they won't show up unless I reboot the iPad Pro with the USB inserted.   I've tried several adaptors some work better than others, but none seem to work all of the ime.

Anyone else having difficulties?   This was THE single most important new feature for me....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,024member
    emoeller said:
    Not too happy with the external storage -  I encrypt my any external drives and those don't seem to be recognized.   Also having difficulty with simple unencrypted thumb drives - sometimes they won't show up unless I reboot the iPad Pro with the USB inserted.   I've tried several adaptors some work better than others, but none seem to work all of the ime.

Anyone else having difficulties?   This was THE single most important new feature for me....
    Being that this feature is brand new, I’m sure it will be refined in a couple of 13.x releases. 
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I'm really eager for other iPad app developers to provide access to external storage: Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer and Luma Touch especially.

Tom
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Clips is a great quick go to video app for creative and fun video Clips.
    I prefer it more for Instagram videos than using the builtin Instagram video recorder for the simple fact that the camera shoots video the correct way round. It's easiest to spot when you have text in the image. It's also why I upload photos to Instagram that I took with the internal camera rather than ones I took with Instagram.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    So that’s Apple’s information management strategy? Files in folders on drives?
    Way to prove the idiots right Apple!
  • Reply 7 of 14
    mcdave said:
    You'd rather not be able to access external media?
    muthuk_vanalingamrazorpitzoetmb
  • Reply 8 of 14
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    emoeller said:

What I find on my Mac is that I can't just plug in a USB cable that has a USB-A to USB-C adapter on the end.   I have to plug the adapter into the Mac first and then plug the cable into the adapter.   I've tried different brands and different types of adapters, but it always works the same way.   Maybe it's the same on the iPad Pro.  While this is a small thing and can be corrected by using cables already configured for USB-C instead of adapters, this has bugged me because it flies in the face of Apple's products "just working".   
  • Reply 9 of 14
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

mcdave said:
    And what's your ideal strategy?    I've wanted this for a long time as my video files are consuming all the space on the internal SSD.   I've been manually moving files to an external drive.   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    zoetmb said:
    emoeller said:

What I find on my Mac is that I can't just plug in a USB cable that has a USB-A to USB-C adapter on the end.   I have to plug the adapter into the Mac first and then plug the cable into the adapter.   I've tried different brands and different types of adapters, but it always works the same way.   Maybe it's the same on the iPad Pro.  While this is a small thing and can be corrected by using cables already configured for USB-C instead of adapters, this has bugged me because it flies in the face of Apple's products "just working".   
    I haven’t had that problem at all with the two brands of adapters I have. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    mcdave said:
    zoetmb said:

mcdave said:
    And what's your ideal strategy?    I've wanted this for a long time as my video files are consuming all the space on the internal SSD.   I've been manually moving files to an external drive.   
    Trade files for libraries.

Rather than recreate the direct, manual file management of the 70s, requiring users to monitor storage and manually shift files around, keep it Cloud-based (iCloud Photo Library, iCloud Drive, other Cloud Drive) but accelerated with local storage hardware.

Check out macOS content caching. Apply this principle to network-attached storage and you have Cloud simplicity with direct storage performance.
    Apple could have done this (& wireless/wired data-peering to accelerate iCloud/other cloud) and provided UIImagePickerController access to external storage rather than recreate the Finder.

‘Courage’ my arse!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    mcdave said:
    mcdave said:
    zoetmb said:

mcdave said:

Rather than recreate the direct, manual file management of the 70s, requiring users to monitor storage and manually shift files around, keep it Cloud-based (iCloud Photo Library, iCloud Drive, other Cloud Drive) but accelerated with local storage hardware.

Check out macOS content caching. Apply this principle to network-attached storage and you have Cloud simplicity with direct storage performance.
    Apple could have done this (& wireless/wired data-peering to accelerate iCloud/other cloud) and provided UIImagePickerController access to external storage rather than recreate the Finder.

‘Courage’ my arse!
    This makes zero sense. This feature is literally for accessing file structures on drives from other devices like a Mac or PC or camera which obviously use a folder structure etc. Also, nobody is forcing you to use non-cloud anything. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    mcdave said:
    mcdave said:
    zoetmb said:

mcdave said:

‘Courage’ my arse!
    This makes zero sense. This feature is literally for accessing file structures on drives from other devices like a Mac or PC or camera which obviously use a folder structure etc. Also, nobody is forcing you to use non-cloud anything. 
    This feature is part of a slew of features for iMovie, Garage Band & Files ushering in outdated filesystem-based information management principles. The kind of zero-innovation move that Android had since release and Apple has stooped to.
    These features dilute the progressive, wireless, low-management, IM path Apple was headed down which should have enjoyed more investment - it was so close. Instead we get a cheap, quick-fix/crowd-pleaser. We used to laugh at Android fans criticising iPads’ lack of ports because plugging anything in to a hand-held device is ridiculous, look at us now!
    Nothing wrong with importing external media to the Photo Library (crap name) via a picker but that doesn’t require full drive support.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    mcdave said:
    mcdave said:
    mcdave said:
    zoetmb said:

mcdave said:

‘Courage’ my arse!
    This feature is part of a slew of features for iMovie, Garage Band & Files ushering in outdated filesystem-based information management principles. The kind of zero-innovation move that Android had since release and Apple has stooped to.
    These features dilute the progressive, wireless, low-management, IM path Apple was headed down which should have enjoyed more investment - it was so close. Instead we get a cheap, quick-fix/crowd-pleaser. We used to laugh at Android fans criticising iPads’ lack of ports because plugging anything in to a hand-held device is ridiculous, look at us now!
    Nothing wrong with importing external media to the Photo Library (crap name) via a picker but that doesn’t require full drive support.
    Okay.