Disney now accepting pre-orders for Disney+ streaming service

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2019
Disney has begun taking preorders for their new streaming service, Disney+, which gives users access to Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic content, all from one service.

Following the conclusion of a discounted pre-sale on Disney's D23 fan club website, the company has opened a preorder page for Disney+ for everybody, with the option to buy a $6.99 per month plan or a $69.99 per year plan. The plan launches with a 7-day trial period as well.

Users who want to bundle the subscription with ad supported ESPN+ and Hulu for $12.99 per month will have to wait until the service officially launches.

The service is set to launch on November 12 and will give consumers access to the media conglomerate's vast catalogue of video content. Disney+ will launch with 25 original series and ten new films its first year.

It was revealed at the D23 Expo this year that subscribers will be able to stream from up to four devices simultaneously at a maximum resolution of 4K. Additionally, users will be able to set up a maximum of seven individual profiles, making it useful for managing the viewing habits of larger families.

Two weeks prior to the Disney+ launch, Apple's Apple TV+, service fires up for $4.99 a month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    Disney started signing people up for Disney+ weeks ago with a great limited time offer.

If you set up a free D23 membership you could sign up for 3 years of Disney+ at an average monthly price of $3.88
    edited September 2019 chemengin1philboogieAppleExposedstanthemandocno42
  • Reply 2 of 19
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Don't you think it'll be much easier for tens of millions to find and click yes to AppleTV+? Unless Disney pays to advertise on Apple platforms. That's a switch.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I never get why anyone would Pre-order for Digital content? What, you think they'll run out?
    hammeroftruthSolirandominternetpersonkitatitjahbladegilly33fasterquieterdysamoriagatorguymacxpress
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    robjn said:
    Disney started signing people up for Disney+ weeks ago with a great limited time offer.

If you set up a free D23 membership you could sign up for 3 years of Disney+ at an average monthly price of $3.88
    Second paragraph of the story: "Following the conclusion of a discounted pre-sale on Disney's D23 fan club website,"
  • Reply 5 of 19
    jbdragon said:
    I never get why anyone would Pre-order for Digital content? What, you think they'll run out?
    Maybe they’re afraid that there’s a guy at Disney ripping all this content from dvds and may ask for a pay raise? 
  • Reply 6 of 19
    The biggest news for me personally than this Disney+ is when Criterion Channel will come to TV app. There is an app for Apple TV but I want everything through TV app. 

A bit interested in this. Already cancelled Netflix. Subscribed to Arrow Channel. Now waiting to Apple TV+. Life is good. :D
    edited September 2019 AppleExposedchasm
  • Reply 7 of 19
    jbdragon said:
    If I was to guess, it was so that their payment servers don't get crushed on launch day.  My wife signed up for the 99 cent Hulu deal last fall and it was insane - it took her a few days before she actually was able to successfully complete her purchase.
    jahblade
  • Reply 8 of 19
    robjn said:

Well thanks for sharing that tip now that's it's expired.
    SoundJudgmentAppleExposedMplsPstantheman
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Here in the Netherlands we could already sign up weeks ago, so what's new ?

It's complementary to Netflix btw, unless you live in a Starwars, Pixar or Marvel world.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    loekf said:
    Here in the Netherlands we could already sign up weeks ago, so what's new ?

It's complementary to Netflix btw, unless you live in a Starwars, Pixar or Marvel world.
    What's 'new'... is that it costs more now.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Why would you pre-order digital content? Why would you pre-order A SUBSCRIPTION? A subscription is TIME BASED. If you’re not getting service at the time of giving them money, you’re being screwed.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    dysamoria said:
    Why would you pre-order digital content? Why would you pre-order A SUBSCRIPTION? A subscription is TIME BASED. If you’re not getting service at the time of giving them money, you’re being screwed.
    Shows what you know…

Disney+ is only singing you up (to get your information). The service doesn't start until 11/12. You get a week trial and then the billing occurs on 11/19 (you can cancel before then). And, they even take PayPal.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 13 of 19
    jbdragon said:
    For video games, there is a benefit to pre-ordering the digital version. You are able to preload the game days before release. For those on the west coast, you can actually play the game a day before release. People like me with terrible internet speeds, that's a big deal. Sure, you can go out and buy a physical copy, but there will always be a huge release day update you will need. With my crap internet, it's more beneficial for me to pre-order a digital version than buying a physical copy. 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 14 of 19
    diz_geek said:
    jbdragon said:
    If I was to guess, it was so that their payment servers don't get crushed on launch day.  My wife signed up for the 99 cent Hulu deal last fall and it was insane - it took her a few days before she actually was able to successfully complete her purchase.
    Bingo.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    jbdragon said:

If the $69.99 yearly option is only available during pre-order it's enough to make me want to and I'm not even interested in the service!

Also for video games:
    You get bonus content. Sometimes.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    I tried not to subscribe too many things. If I subscribed this - I have to cancel another. That's how I control myself. So far I am interested in AppleTV+. I have Netflix and other 3 tv subs - so I need to cancel 2 if I am going for AppleTV+ and Disney.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    robjn said:

Yup - 3 years for $140.  Was a no brainer!
  • Reply 18 of 19
    DarthKalElDarthKalEl Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Folio said:
    Don't you think it'll be much easier for tens of millions to find and click yes to AppleTV+? Unless Disney pays to advertise on Apple platforms. That's a switch.
    No. 1. Because it’s Disney. 2. Because of Marvel. Star Wars. Pixar. Apple has nothing that can compete with what Disney has.  Nothing. Their announced content library is embarrassing. D+ in the other is already very exciting and more people are taking about it then A+. No one is talking about AppleTV+. No one. 
  • Reply 19 of 19
    DarthKalElDarthKalEl Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    kevin kee said:
    I tried not to subscribe too many things. If I subscribed this - I have to cancel another. That's how I control myself. So far I am interested in AppleTV+. I have Netflix and other 3 tv subs - so I need to cancel 2 if I am going for AppleTV+ and Disney.
    AppleTV+ is embarrassing. Nothing they have announced is exciting for the service. It’s a joke. And no one is talking about it. Whereas everyone including the normals are talking about Disney+. Anyone that would have interest in AppleTV plus over Disney+ is just a blind fanboy. No competition in terms of which one is looking better in terms of content.