Amazon updates Eero, Ring product ranges in wave of announcements

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2019
Just as it did last year, Amazon used its September event to launch a large number of new products from across its vast empire of subsidiaries. AppleInsider collects together some of the less prominent announcements to come out of Seattle on Wednesday.

Ring Stick Up Cam
Ring Stick Up Cam

In 2018, Amazon held an event involving over 70 announcements, covering a wide variety of subject areas that the major online retailer deals with. For 2019, the company did the same thing, making a large quantity of announcements and product launches in a single event.

Below is a list of some of the items that may be worth your attention.

Ring Stick Up Cam, Retrofit Alarm Kit, Indoor Cam, and Fetch

The all-new Stick Up Cam is said to be the most versatile of Ring's cameras, working both indoors and out, as well as offering battery and mains option, and can also function from a solar-powered accessory if required.

The key difference for the new version is that it's now 30% cheaper than the current version. It is available to preorder now, priced at $99.99.

The Ring Retrofit Alarm Kit is a do-it-yourself upgrade to an existing security system hub within a home, allowing previously-installed sensors to be repurposed for use with Ring Alarm.

Amazon is supplying it either on its own for $199.99, or bundled with the Ring Alarm Hub for $375.99.

Ring Indoor Cam
Ring Indoor Cam

The Indoor Cam is, as the name suggests, a camera meant for indoor use. The lowest-cost Ring security camera, it is a compact unit that can be mounted or left freestanding, with added control over what it records when used as part of a "Home" mode.

Available for purchase today, the Indoor Cam is priced at $59.99.

Ring Fetch
Ring Fetch

The Ring Fetch is a dog tracker that uses Amazon's Sidewalk network, a low-bandwidth 900MHz spectrum network that is meant for Internet of Things devices, to keep tabs on where the family pet has gone.

Intended as a reference design for Sidewalk devices, the Fetch will be coming out in 2020, for an unknown price.

Eero

A refresh of the mesh networking system, the new Eero uses a combination of dual-band radio with an adaptive backhaul and "TrueMesh technology" to provide whole-home coverage. The new units have been given a new compact design, so they take very little space on a desk or side.

The new Eero
The new Eero

Customers can optionally subscribe to Eero Secure or Eero Secure+ to improve the security for devices that connect to the network.

Amazon is selling the new Eero today in the US, with availability in Europe set to start from November. Individually they are $99.99, but can be bought in a three-pack for $249.99.

The Eero are also compatible with a new feature of Alexa that can be used to manage Wi-Fi access. Users can ask Alexa to turn on or pause Wi-Fi for specific devices, or to enable or disable the guest Wi-Fi where needed.

Event is in progress, check back for updates as announcements are made.

Amazon Smart Oven

Continuing an idea offered in the Amazon Basics Microwave last year, the Amazon Smart Oven is a combined convection oven, microwave, air fryer, and food warmer. The oven includes a temperature probe, and supports 30 cooking presets out of the box.

Amazon Smart Oven
Amazon Smart Oven

For 2019, the oven can be paired with an Echo to enable Alexa to control the device. Users can ask Alexa to preheat the oven, start or stop cooking, or to be notified when the oven has reached a temperature or finished cooking.

Using the Alexa app or an Echo Show in a future update, product barcodes can be scanned, which can be used to preconfigure the oven to the right settings to cook the food properly. The feature will allegedly work with hundreds of packaged food items, including items from Whole Foods Market, 365 Everyday Value, Gardein, and Marie Callendar's ranges.

Available on presale today, the Amazon Smart Oven costs $249.99, and includes an Echo Dot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Eerie spyware
    bonoboblostkiwijahbladewatto_cobrachasm
  • Reply 2 of 15
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The idea of subscribing for a router security system is not something that should be done. Either it’s all built-in, or not. If it is, free upgrades to the software should be given. Everybody these days wants to get into the subscribe act to make more money. Just charge the correct price for the product upfront,, and that’s should do it.

boy, I’m really ticked that Apple got out of this business.
    StrangeDaysSpamSandwichlorin schultzbonoboblostkiwijahbladewatto_cobrachasm
  • Reply 3 of 15
    we should start a pledge to ask Apple to restart the AirPort lines. I just want to give them money to get decent routers with modern mesh network capabilities. I don't like my newly bought Netgear Orbi. 
    p-dogFizzyPandawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    So...Amazon came out with a bunch of stuff that doesn’t work with HomeKit?  Good to know for all the fans who come to APPLEInsider for their Amazon updates. 

:D 
    A lot of us have Apple stock and don’t always know what the competition is up to. This is a story of interest for that reason alone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    That pet tracker is something Apple absolutely should be doing. Presumably the rumored Apple Tags will do something like this when they are released.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
  • Reply 7 of 15
    I can find no mention of Homekit on the eero announcements or website. Will they still be implementing it now that they're owned by Amazon?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Alliteration is good when it works. Perhaps we might see "Facebook Frames"? "Logitech Lenses"? "Apple Augmentation"?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    Interesting updates from Ring/Amazon. I'm still on the fence about Ring Alarm. The cost of their monitoring service is phenomenal and when you pay for it it also pulls in all your Ring cameras. Configuration is easy. I like that they have PoE support in some of their devices and would like to see it in even more. Their customer and tech support is pretty good. But I've had a number of hardware failures with both Ring cameras and Ring Alarm components. Sure, they send you a replacement is about a week, but for a company trying to get into the Home Security market in a big way the lack of hardware reliability is a cancer on the core of the service they are trying to provide. There's simply no place for an unreliable security system, regardless of cost. Nobody would buy a cheap boat if it doesn't float and a security system that suffers from component failure and reliability issues is a rapidly sinking proposition. 
  • Reply 10 of 15
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    I could’ve swore I type appleinsider.com... and I was redirected to amazoninsider.com
    macxpresswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    That frame temples/arms are thiccc. I don't think it's pleasing on the eyes even for Android standards.
    edited September 2019 lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    A lot of us have Apple stock and don’t always know what the competition is up to. This is a story of interest for that reason alone.

… and Amazon stock too!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Amazon Echo Studio should give Apple a run for the money against the Home Pod. Priced at $199, supports Dolby Atmos, 3D audio, and initial tests appear promising.  It also supports Bluetooth and has an audio input jack. What has held me off from Apple’s product is that when it eventually is no longer supported, it ends up being an expensive paperweight while the Amazon speaker will still work and can do so without software.   Will Apple really support the home pod 10 years from now? Or even 5?  The Amazon speaker gets around that issue with still having audio input alternatives. 
  • Reply 14 of 15
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    The “new” eero is a degraded version. The old unit is now marketed as a step up.

llamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    So...Amazon came out with a bunch of stuff that doesn’t work with HomeKit?  Good to know for all the fans who come to APPLEInsider for their Amazon updates. 

:D 
    Wait a minute. Because you have a lot of Apple stock, you don’t know what the competition is doing? I have a lot of Apple stock, and I keep track of what the competition is doing. The more stock you have, the more important it is to keep track. You know that.
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra