Hands on with a 2019 iPad Pro model with three camera lenses

Posted:
in iPad edited February 2020
The 2019 iPad Pro may be just around the corner. AppleInsider checks out a mockup, compares it to the 2018 iPad Pro, and looks at the rumors we've heard about the refresh to date.

2019 iPad Pro on top of 2018 iPad Pro 12.9-inch
2019 iPad Pro on top of 2018 iPad Pro 12.9-inch

Thanks to renowned Apple leaker Sonny Dickson, AppleInsider managed to get our hands on a realistic mockup of the supposed 2019 iPad Pro, in the 12.9-inch size.

We compared the mockup to our existing 12.9-inch iPad Pro to see what else we could learn ahead of the rumored October launch.

On the front, the 2019 iPad Pro looks identical to the existing model. Both have the same dimensions, bezels, and True Depth camera system.

Unlike the iPhone 11, it appears the iPad Pro is going to keep the same thickness this year if this mockup is to be believed.

Back of the 2019 iPad Pro
Supposed back of the 2019 iPad Pro

We compared each side of the iPad Pro, with no changes to be noted. The bottom still contains dual speakers flanking the USB-C port, the top has a second set of speakers, a microphone, and the sleep/wake button. On the right is the volume rocker and 2nd generation Apple Pencil charger and the left has a sole microphone.

The back is largely the same -- other than the camera bump. The Apple logo is centered and the Smart Connector is at the bottom. The mockup contains no external regulatory information below the "iPad" branding which could be due to the fact it is a mockup or Apple could be ditching it -- something they've been doing with more and more products.

Most notable in the mockup is the three-camera setup situated on the back.

We've heard the rumor of iPad Pro gaining the same three cameras as the iPhone 11 Pro, one of the only rumors we have heard with any credibility.

Comparing the cameras on the iPhone 11 Pro and the 2019 iPad Pro mockup
Comparing the cameras on the iPhone 11 Pro and the 2019 iPad Pro mockup

This would include the ultra-wide, wide, and tele lenses. Many have wondered why Apple would put such a camera system onto a tablet, but these lenses aren't necessarily only about taking pictures.

Apple has put a huge focus into augmented reality and a wide-angle lens and improved cameras would lend itself well to that purpose. Leaning further into that, AR experiences can be superior on a tablet versus an iPhone.

Three camera system with two mics and True Tone flash
Three camera system with two mics and True Tone flash

We did notice the on the mockup that the new square camera bump has two microphones whereas the existing iPad Pro camera only has a single microphone below it. This may be too fine a detail to know -- or reproduce in a mock-up -- at this point, though.

Other than the little we've been able to glean from the new enclosure, rumors have been scarce on the new iPad Pros. We expect they will contain a more powerful variant of the iPhone 11's A13 Bionic processor as they have in years past and one rumor from Ming-Chi Kuo says the 2020 iPad Pro will have improved antenna tech and 5G in 2021, but nothing else on this year's iteration.
applesnoranges

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Wait, let me grab my iPad to take a picture.... said no one under 60 ever 😑
    BwlmogbigtdsCarnage
  • Reply 2 of 20
    BwlmogBwlmog Posts: 11unconfirmed, member
    I have no Interest in the camera on this, but would welcome the improved sound capabilities that come with the current IPhones, including Atmos.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    vukasika said:
    Except when I use it to scan documents.  
    JustAnotherLonelyVoicefirelockwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    vukasika said:
    Funny!
  • Reply 5 of 20
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I hope that the cameras on the new iPad Pros will look just like the cameras on the iPhone Pro, because the mockup cameras look cheap and much worse than the real thing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Honestly while I didn't care about the camera in my iPad Pro originally, I could see myself possibly taking photos with this new one in specific contexts. Namely if I'm in a working environment and I need to get a photo of something I'll be drawing. It's just quicker than taking the photo with the iPhone and waiting for iCloud to sync it. Plus for someone like me with a XR, I may be in a situation where I really want a particular photo that the camera system allows but my phone won't do it. It certainly won't be a random snapping while with friends photo. But there could be some use cases. It depends on how much this camera module affects the price.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    This might happen because people do use their iPad cameras Apple has already invested and marketed this tech, and it's a selling point, but I'm confused why Apple would make it look like this mockup and not like the in the iPhone 11 Pro devices.
    OnPartyBusinesswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Honestly while I didn't care about the camera in my iPad Pro originally, I could see myself possibly taking photos with this new one in specific contexts. Namely if I'm in a working environment and I need to get a photo of something I'll be drawing. It's just quicker than taking the photo with the iPhone and waiting for iCloud to sync it. Plus for someone like me with a XR, I may be in a situation where I really want a particular photo that the camera system allows but my phone won't do it. It certainly won't be a random snapping while with friends photo. But there could be some use cases. It depends on how much this camera module affects the price.
    As someone who's waited for Photo Stream to sync, I've found it's just faster to Airdrop it to yourself. :)
    firelockwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20

Soli said:
    This might happen because people do use their iPad cameras Apple has already invested and marketed this tech, and it's a selling point, but I'm confused why Apple would make it look like this mockup and not like the in the iPhone 11 Pro devices.
    They won't. Pretty sure this dummy unit mockup was built before the iPhone event.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    netmage said:
    vukasika said:
    Wait, let me grab my iPad to take a picture.... said no one under 60 ever ߘ᦬t;/div>
    Except when I use it to scan documents.  
    Very few people actually use their iPad to take pictures in the same way they use their iPhone, but I've seen a lot of other uses. Insurance adjusters and contractors come to mind - they can write up a proposal and use the iPad to snap a pic and insert it in the proposal seamlessly.

'Scanning' documents with it is pretty slick, too.

I'm a bit unclear on this article, though - they say 'hands on,' but basically, they just got to play with some guy's idea of what the iPad will be like. how is that useful?
    edited September 2019 philboogieJustAnotherLonelyVoicewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Go to something like a girls club volleyball tournament. You’ll see tons of people using iPads to record video. Having better cameras is never a bad thing. I really don’t understand people who disparage having better cameras on the iPad  
    OnPartyBusinessJustAnotherLonelyVoicefirelockwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20
    MplsP said:

I'm a bit unclear on this article, though - they say 'hands on,' but basically, they just got to play with some guy's idea of what the iPad will be like. how is that useful?
    Yeah, I'm not sure what they mean either.

I can just draw 3 dots on the back of my current iPad Pro and pretend that it's the newest, yet to be released iPad Pro, but does that mean that I went hands on with the newest iPad Pro? I don't think so.

It's a bit misleading to say they went hands on with a new iPad Pro, when in reality, what they had was a mockup of an iPad Pro.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Go to something like a girls club volleyball tournament. You’ll see tons of people using iPads to record video. Having better cameras is never a bad thing. I really don’t understand people who disparage having better cameras on the iPad  
    I agree.

I have an iPhone and an iPad Pro, and I use both to take pictures with, it all depends on the situation, where I am, and what I have with me.

I'm glad that the cameras in the iPad continue to be great and to improve.

OnPartyBusinessJustAnotherLonelyVoicewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    If it is using the iPhone 11 Pro cameras, so this bump could be 4 mm? That doesn’t sound good at all, and even cases won’t make it flush or recessed?

The iPhone 11 Pro is about 9 to 10 mm thick with the camera bump. The current iPad Pro is 6 mm. So potentially a 4 mm camera bump?
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    We did notice the on the mockup that the new square camera bump has two microphones whereas the existing iPad Pro camera only has a single microphone below it. This may be too fine a detail to know -- or reproduce in a mock-up -- at this point, though.

Judging the location of the middle hole I would say it's just for a screw for that mockup.

And nah, I don't think it would have 3 cameras. The latest Pro only has 1 camera which Apple think is enough for iPad use.

What I do really like for future iPad Pro is to shed the current weight to 60% at least. If I bring this around construction site the whole day I really like it to be light but sturdy.

• Reply 16 of 20

Soli said:
    They won't. Pretty sure this dummy unit mockup was built before the iPhone event.

The iPhone mockups that were available before the event did show the lenses arranged in an equilateral configuration, right?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 20
    vukasika said:
    Well I'm way under 60 and I take most of my videos and photos with my iPad.

Just because YOU don't, and just because you're a lemming jumping on the 'no body takes photos with an iPad 'cause it doesn't fit in their hip hugger jeans...' doesn't mean NO-ONE does.

Try and consider a world view slightly larger than your own... 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    apple ][ said:
    MplsP said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what they mean either.

I can just draw 3 dots on the back of my current iPad Pro and pretend that it's the newest, yet to be released iPad Pro, but does that mean that I went hands on with the newest iPad Pro? I don't think so.

It's a bit misleading to say they went hands on with a new iPad Pro, when in reality, what they had was a mockup of an iPad Pro.

I'm not sure how much clearer we can be about what this is.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 20
    I agree enough with the camera already. Where's the innovation, where's the "Wow!" factor? Apple continues to drive up prices while fails to deliver anything new. Give us expandable memory. Stop increasing the price. Stop releasing the new iPad or iPhone every year rather wait until you have something that's actually new and worthy of an upgrade.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    poku said:
    I agree enough with the camera already. Where's the innovation, where's the "Wow!" factor? Apple continues to drive up prices while fails to deliver anything new. Give us expandable memory. Stop increasing the price. Stop releasing the new iPad or iPhone every year rather wait until you have something that's actually new and worthy of an upgrade.
    How would that not be new for the iPad? How is the camera tech with the A13 chip designed to work with the camera not innovation? Why do you believe all these new technologies have no cost?