2020 iPhone could kill the notch by moving Face ID to the bezel

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    apple ][ said:
    I guess this means that other monkey see - monkey do companies will now have to follow suit and get rid of their notches too, if they are able to
    FWIW the Pixel 4 already did...
    AppleExposedmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 75
    Love
  • Reply 23 of 75
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    The importance that people place on a thin bezel is just baffling.  It’s like it messed with their ADHD or something.

first world problem for sure.

if Apple does pull this off, it will be a great design.  I’m glad Apple does not pay attention to you complainers.
    edited September 2019 AppleExposedStrangeDays
  • Reply 24 of 75
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    gatorguy said:
    apple ][ said:
    I guess this means that other monkey see - monkey do companies will now have to follow suit and get rid of their notches too, if they are able to
    I don't think that the Pixel 4 is solving the notch with a uniform bezel. Instead, a large forehead and a lesser chin.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/google/149503-every-angle-of-google-pixel-4-xl-revealed-in-hands-on-images
    edited September 2019 netmageCloudTalkinStrangeDays
  • Reply 25 of 75
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    apple ][ said:
    I don't think that the Pixel 4 is solving the notch with a uniform bezel. Instead, a large forehead and a lesser chin.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/google/149503-every-angle-of-google-pixel-4-xl-revealed-in-hands-on-images
    Unless the bottom bezel would need to be as large as the top I don't see any reason to have the two the same size other than for vanity.

If not for a forward-firing speaker it would seem the Pixel array could have been placed much higher and allow for even bezels top and bottom if that's your thing. 
    If/when the artist's rendition shown in this article becomes something Apple attempts to do them we'll see then if an even border around the entire periphery is what they choose. IMO I doubt they'd choose those relatively fat side bezels that might be a requirement for the top one containing necessary sensors. 

For now this is an imaginary iPhone design. The Pixel's is real and TBH an improvement over a notch as I see it. 
    edited September 2019 avon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 75
    gatorguy said:

For now this is an imaginary iPhone design. The Pixel's is real and TBH an improvement over a notch as I see it. 
    I don't see how having a permanent black area at the top of the screen and a almost permanent loss of screen real estate across the top of the screen is preferable to having extra screen spa e at the top to hold the status information meaning most application use gains screen real estate over no notch.
    AppleExposedtmayStrangeDays
  • Reply 27 of 75
    Japhey said:
    This will just make it much harder to know the top from the bottom. Something should  distinguish IMO 
    Good point. Also, with all those components so close to the edge, I would be very nervous that even a slight drop would render the whole phone useless. AppleCare would be more necessary than ever.  Maybe that’s another reason they might bring back TouchID, as a backup way to unlock. Not to mention, most case designs would have to change as well. 
    Will dropping your phone cause your fingers to break, rendering you unable to enter a PIN or password?

I see no reason to distinguish top from bottom - ideally the phone would work equally well in both orientations.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 28 of 75
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    apple ][ said:
    I agree with you there.  The Pixel 4 is not a good example of the new design language.  To me, the OnePlus 7 Pro is a better example. Or Asus Zenphone 6
    Image result for oneplus 7 proImage result for asus zenfone 6
    tmayavon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 75
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    apple ][ said:
    I agree with you there.  The Pixel 4 is not a good example of the new design language.  To me, the OnePlus 7 Pro is a better example. Or Asus Zenphone 6
    Image result for oneplus 7 proImage result for asus zenfone 6
    Except those lack the sensors required for FaceID, and in the Pixel's case the Soli radar chip too. Where would you propose those be placed? 
    Carnage
  • Reply 30 of 75
    netmage said:
    gatorguy said:

I don't see how having a permanent black area at the top of the screen and a almost permanent loss of screen real estate across the top of the screen is preferable to having extra screen spa e at the top to hold the status information meaning most application use gains screen real estate over no notch.
    Isn't it typical that in use the area to the left and right of the iPhone notch is black, attempting to hide the notches existence? I do realize that some applications make decent use of the two otherwise orphaned areas. Still I don't see a disadvantage to not working around a notch.

With that said I'm no fan of the overly (IMO) rounded screen corners on this years Pixel. I would hope that by next year they simply square them off or at worst a minimal .07 or smaller radius. 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 31 of 75
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    apple ][ said:
    Except those lack the sensors required for FaceID, and in the Pixel's case the Soli radar chip too. Where would you propose those be placed? 
    The conversation seems to be about the design language of the notch and not necessarily about the FaceID module.  Bezeless design is pretty much the "new new" in the Android world imo.  Combined with under screen fingerprint tech and motorized and mechanical selfie cams, there really doesn't seem to be a desire for FaceID tech like Apple's implimentation.   I think complexity, cost, and customer apathy are the primary reasons.  Google seems to be the only Android OEM going for that type of implementation.   Google being Google, it wouldn't surprise me to see under screen fingerprint tech and a motorized selfie cam on the Pixel 6.  Maybe by then the FaceID tech could fit in one of those modules.  Who knows.  On the Android side, I think fingerprint tech is going to be it, and even Apple says Touch ID ain't going away anytime soon.    
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 75
    I just picked up an 11 Pro Max because the X it replaced started to feel cramped.... If this is true then I need to make a difficult decision while I can still return the 11. 

Thinking about the possibility of shrinking the bezels, maybe it will be possible if the phone were a little thicker. In conjunction with square sides (like the 2018 iPad Pro), that could open up enough room along the edges to fit the components. Here are some numbers to consider:

Original iPhone - 11.6mm 
    iPhone 4s - 9.3mm
    iPhone X - 7.7mm
    iPhone 8 Plus - 7.5mm
    iPhone 11 Pro - 8.1mm
    iPad Pro 2018 - 5.9mm

If the 2020 iPhones were between 8-10mm thick, provided for even more battery capacity and replaced the notch with a slim (I'm thinking no more than half the width of the bezels on the current iPad Pro) as well as removing the camera bump... I think Apple would have a total hit. I know I'd get one even if I end up keeping the 11 Pro Max. 

On a side note, I don't understand the fanaticism with practically bezel-less displays. My fingers trip the edges of my iPhone X all the time and it kind of gets annoying. Not enough to disable tap to wake, but in use for example, I'll hold the phone in one hand and gesture with the other, but it won't register properly because I'm unknowingly making contact with some minute surface of the display. Maybe it's because I don't ever use a case? Even the bezels on my (also case-less) 2018 iPad Pro 12.9" are barely enough to hold onto without accidentally registering a touch. Anyway, I definitely would prefer a little bit of bezel. 

• Reply 33 of 75
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'd rather see a smaller notch than making the notch become a bezel engulfing the display and reducing the display footprint. I have doubts Apple would go this route on an iPhone.
  • Reply 34 of 75
    grblade said:
    This would be awesome. I’ve been holding on to my iPhone 7 Plus, and this is one of the reasons.
    Is this a serious comment? 
    i would think so. i went from yearly upgrading, to every two years... and then out came the X and i stopped at the 6s. i don’t care about headphone jacks, if you really need one you can get an adaptor - but the notch > anyone defending the notch, or claiming face id is faster and more versatile than touch id is just mainlining fandom not function.

the 11 is almost worth it, the A13 is superb and the cameras very clever, finally a genuine upgrade over the 6s, only took 4yrs. that said i will continue to wait until the current deformed generation of iphones is done with (i suspect this is the last year)

i am not spending $1900 (australian) to downgrade my user experience.

seriously, if i bought a laptop and a chunk of the screen did not work - i would demand a refund. why accept it?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 35 of 75
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    apple ][ said:

Looks like its being held upside down. 
    AppleExposedmacgui
  • Reply 36 of 75
    mattinoz said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    apple ][ said:

Looks like its being held upside down. 
    It does, but it’s functionally better than the chin for these cheap designs, especially when other have put nostril-peering cameras in the chin.
    mattinoz
  • Reply 37 of 75
    grblade said:
    This would be awesome. I’ve been holding on to my iPhone 7 Plus, and this is one of the reasons.
    i would think so. i went from yearly upgrading, to every two years... and then out came the X and i stopped at the 6s. i don’t care about headphone jacks, if you really need one you can get an adaptor - but the notch > anyone defending the notch, or claiming face id is faster and more versatile than touch id is just mainlining fandom not function.

the 11 is almost worth it, the A13 is superb and the cameras very clever, finally a genuine upgrade over the 6s, only took 4yrs. that said i will continue to wait until the current deformed generation of iphones is done with (i suspect this is the last year)

seriously, if i bought a laptop and a chunk of the screen did not work - i would demand a refund. why accept it?
    You really don’t see a benefit to Face ID over Touch ID? I've never had an issue with my fingerprints not working, but I have certainly had issues with dirty, wet, and other such issues since the introduction of Touch ID that would've made Face ID a better option.I also have older family members that don't seem the prominent fingerprints they once had which makes Touch ID less than ideal for them. Personally, I'd like to have both.
    edited September 2019 AppleExposed
  • Reply 38 of 75
    grblade said:
    IF it is, then it's time to bring in the men in the white suits.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    I have last years XS Max (I think that is what it is called) and I don't even notice the bloody notch. Then again, I'm not one of those who walk around in the CBD looking at the iPhone instead of where I'm walking.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Logical. The problem is, when Apple does this every phone will look even more like iPhone.

Even today it's embarrassing to see how close the knockoffs look to the real thing. We're gonna reach a point where the only difference in design is the Apple logo. That's sad.

gatorguy said:
    apple ][ said:

FWIW the original iPhone already did. (using your logic)

grblade said:

How about the iPhone 7?