Review: The Apple Watch Series 5 leaves the competition in the dust

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    I was thinking I might get a series 5 but I've learned to always get the best processor you can and given that they didn't beef it up this year, I'm thinking that means that next year is going to be a good year to buy. For now I'll keep rocking my series 1 that is still in pretty good shape. As far as people thinking they should make the watch work with Android, I could see them allowing the cellular models to work agnostic of the phone, I think the non-cellular watches will probably always require an iPhone. They might then make a version of the Health App for Android, though they might not want to put that data on Android devices given how easy it is to swipe information from those. I know Linus of Linus Tech Tips has actually stated he's going to try switching back to an iPhone as one of his phones so he can get a new Apple Watch. It's funny, the other day somebody asked me what I use my Watch for and I was like, "Well it's a fitness tracker, not that I use it for that much. But I use it to do things like turn off lights, switch music tracks, get notifications, mostly I just don't have to pull out my phone as often."
    If you missed it, see my comparison between my Series 1 and he Series 4 I just bought (post #3 of this thread).   There has been a significant improvement.  But, you may not value the features that made a big difference for me.   Plus, as i mentioned, the Series 1 was still doing a great job!   In fact, I still have a guilty conscious over dumping such a great product.

I think the bottom line is:   You win either way -- whether you upgrade or not!
    docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 42
    I am a bit confused here. Everyone is cheering for tth greatest watch ever. The text says that the battery holds for the whole day (I have seen 18 hours somewhere in a spec), and that it id the same as for series 4. Did series 4 half the battery time compared ti series 3? I have tve series 3 and I love it. But it will last about 40 hours (in the beginning almost 48). Is is only me not using the watch heavily or did the battery capacity go down with series 4? I believe that I use the watch in a ”normal” way. Or is it the lack of LTE in my device that makes it last so much longer?
  • Reply 23 of 42
    I was thinking I might get a series 5 but I've learned to always get the best processor you can and given that they didn't beef it up this year, I'm thinking that means that next year is going to be a good year to buy. For now I'll keep rocking my series 1 that is still in pretty good shape. As far as people thinking they should make the watch work with Android, I could see them allowing the cellular models to work agnostic of the phone, I think the non-cellular watches will probably always require an iPhone. They might then make a version of the Health App for Android, though they might not want to put that data on Android devices given how easy it is to swipe information from those. I know Linus of Linus Tech Tips has actually stated he's going to try switching back to an iPhone as one of his phones so he can get a new Apple Watch. It's funny, the other day somebody asked me what I use my Watch for and I was like, "Well it's a fitness tracker, not that I use it for that much. But I use it to do things like turn off lights, switch music tracks, get notifications, mostly I just don't have to pull out my phone as often."
    If you missed it, see my comparison between my Series 1 and he Series 4 I just bought (post #3 of this thread).   There has been a significant improvement.  But, you may not value the features that made a big difference for me.   Plus, as i mentioned, the Series 1 was still doing a great job!   In fact, I still have a guilty conscious over dumping such a great product.

I think the bottom line is:   You win either way -- whether you upgrade or not!
    I agree. I have my Series 0 on as I am writing this. My 3 is upstairs on the charger. My 0 is great for yard work, playing hockey, etc. Wouldn’t want to use it all day though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 42
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    hentaiboy said:
    I presume Series 6 will ship with 5G?
    And what would a watch need 5G for? Faster downloads? Downloads of what? Or should Apple put 5G in the Watch just because?
    docno42watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 42
    brum said:
    I am a bit confused here. Everyone is cheering for tth greatest watch ever. The text says that the battery holds for the whole day (I have seen 18 hours somewhere in a spec), and that it id the same as for series 4. Did series 4 half the battery time compared ti series 3? I have tve series 3 and I love it. But it will last about 40 hours (in the beginning almost 48). Is is only me not using the watch heavily or did the battery capacity go down with series 4? I believe that I use the watch in a ”normal” way. Or is it the lack of LTE in my device that makes it last so much longer?
    The reason for the apparent discrepancy is the AW5's always-on screen. It's a nice feature, but it's not free in power usage terms. If you turn off that feature (and you can), the AW5 battery runtime goes up to over 30 hours. This would be the proper comparison to the AW4. Of course that also varies widely with feature usage. Plenty of AW4 users have reported only needing to charge every second day, while heavy users may need a top-up during the day. It's a typical YMMV thing.
    edited September 2019 brumwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 42
    neilm said:
    brum said:
    The reason for the apparent discrepancy is the AW5's always-on screen. It's a nice feature, but it's not free in power usage terms. If you turn off that feature (and you can), the AW5 battery runtime goes up to over 30 hours. This would be the proper comparison to the AW4. Of course that also varies widely with feature usage. Plenty of AW4 users have reported only needing to charge every second day, while heavy users may need a top-up during the day. It's a typical YMMV thing.
    I haven't tried turning the always-on screen off yet but I see a noticeable hit to battery. I put my AW5 on this morning at about 6:25. Now, less than four hours later and I'm down to 84%. I haven't done anything with the watch so far today except issue about 5 Siri requests and occasionally glance at the time. Last night, after a full day including an 1-hour workout my Watch was under 20%. That was fairly uncommon with my Series 3 or Series 4 so I think the always-on is the deciding factor here. That said, I'm not complaining. So far I have gotten all-day battery life and I don't require any more than what I've been getting.

Aside: the headline says "leaves the competition in the dust" but I didn't see anything in the article about Apple Watch competitors, unless I missed something. I was hoping to see something as I typically don't follow competitor's products but it's handy to be able to provide an answer when someone asks why they should get an Apple Watch over what they happen to be currently using.
    albegarcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 42
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    brum said:
    I have an S4 with LTE and routinely am able to get two days on a full charge and therefore charge it every other night. Other than possibly streaming music all day, I can't imagine what I am not doing that would cause the battery to drain faster.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 42
    I went to the Apple Store Soho earlier this week to have a look at the ceramic model, I decided to purchase it with the Italian leather black band, unfortunately the sold out while I was standing there. Ordered one online and should have it next Tuesday. I'm updating from series (0) so I am expecting to love this one.  
    GeorgeBMacdocno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 42
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    spice-boy said:
    I went to the Apple Store Soho earlier this week to have a look at the ceramic model, I decided to purchase it with the Italian leather black band, unfortunately the sold out while I was standing there. Ordered one online and should have it next Tuesday. I'm updating from series (0) so I am expecting to love this one.  
    I think you’ll love it. It’s going to a huge gain in functionality and speed. 
    docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    neilm said:
    brum said:
    I haven't tried turning the always-on screen off yet but I see a noticeable hit to battery. I put my AW5 on this morning at about 6:25. Now, less than four hours later and I'm down to 84%. I haven't done anything with the watch so far today except issue about 5 Siri requests and occasionally glance at the time. Last night, after a full day including an 1-hour workout my Watch was under 20%. That was fairly uncommon with my Series 3 or Series 4 so I think the always-on is the deciding factor here. That said, I'm not complaining. So far I have gotten all-day battery life and I don't require any more than what I've been getting.

Aside: the headline says "leaves the competition in the dust" but I didn't see anything in the article about Apple Watch competitors, unless I missed something. I was hoping to see something as I typically don't follow competitor's products but it's handy to be able to provide an answer when someone asks why they should get an Apple Watch over what they happen to be currently using.
    While the conclusion is well-supported in the text, device-to-device comparisons with competitors are coming soon.
    ihatescreennameswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Soli said:

The potential for increasing Watch sales on one end and then getting Android device users to convert to the iPhone after experiencing the Watch are revenue streams worth considering.
    Fully agree. They just supported Chromecast in the music app for Android, so anything is possible.

9to5google dot com/2019/09/25/apple-music-android-chromecast-dark-mode/

watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Glad to hear my Series 4 is still market leading but honestly still thinking about grabbing a titanium or ceramic 5, heh!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 42
    spice-boy said:
    Geez!   That's like going from a staight 6 Chevy Nova to a Corvette Stingray!

I don't have to say "Enjoy!" because you absolutely will!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 42
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    hentaiboy said:
    I presume Series 6 will ship with 5G?
    Why?  Want the battery to last for 2 hours and the watch to be three times the thickness?  How many torrents are you really going to download on your watch?

The watch will get 5G well after anything else.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 42
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Upgraded from a series 2 with a gimpy display.  Display issues aside, it's still a night and day difference.  Thought I would be indifferent to the always on screen, but it's crazy useful.  Who knew, having a watch that actually tells time without having to lift or wave your arm around is incredibly useful after all  >:)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 42
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    docno42 said:
    Upgraded from a series 2 with a gimpy display.  Display issues aside, it's still a night and day difference.  Thought I would be indifferent to the always on screen, but it's crazy useful.  Who knew, having a watch that actually tells time without having to lift or wave your arm around is incredibly useful after all  >:)
    Maybe I'll come around on the always-on display, but even now I use my Watch in Theatre Mode most of the time so even the arm raise feature isn't enabled for me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Soli said:
    docno42 said:
    Maybe I'll come around on the always-on display, but even now I use my Watch in Theatre Mode most of the time so even the arm raise feature isn't enabled for me.
    I don’t go as far as you using theater mode but put me in the camp of “always on display, I guess that’s cool?” Even my Series 3 is quick to come on and I don’t mind tapping it in the rare scenarios where I don’t move my wrist enough to trigger it. I’m happy the people who have wanted that feature finally got it but from the limited time I’ve played with a 5 in the store the “always on” display appears to be a gimped feature anyways. It appears all of the complications shut down in that mode. Even the sweeping second hand disappears on the more traditional watch faces.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 42
    razorpit said:
    Soli said:
    docno42 said:
    I don’t go as far as you using theater mode but put me in the camp of “always on display, I guess that’s cool?” Even my Series 3 is quick to come on and I don’t mind tapping it in the rare scenarios where I don’t move my wrist enough to trigger it. I’m happy the people who have wanted that feature finally got it but from the limited time I’ve played with a 5 in the store the “always on” display appears to be a gimped feature anyways. It appears all of the complications shut down in that mode. Even the sweeping second hand disappears on the more traditional watch faces.
    I think it may be mostly useful for those times when you can only sneak a peek -- like in a business meeting.
    watto_cobradocno42
  • Reply 39 of 42
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Right now, Andy Ihantko is an Android phone user and has been for awhile now, but I love the guy anyway. He's the most objective tech reviewer I've ever seen, and even when he's not, he's very transparent about his biases. That's exceedingly rare for tech journalists (and most everybody else).

He wanted Apple to make the Watch accessible on Android phones so he could use one, he liked it that much. He's got a new iPhone and S5 Watch for review for the next few weeks, and say he might switch back. IIRC, you can run a Samsung Gear to some degree on iOS.

As for round Watches, I want one. I've got some AWs now, and like them well enough. But for me, the quintessential watch is round. I know the limitations of a round smartwatch – and am fully capable (which is to say I walk upright, don't drag my knuckles, and have an IQ well above room temperature), unlike many, of working within them.

All the RWHs seem to think making a round Watch means dumping the rectangular watch. As if. They make stupid posts like 'Duuuh, how 'bout a round iPad, then...? thinking they actually made a cogent point. I own more than one color of Watch; I'd own a round one, too.

Apple will probably never make one, or at least not for a long time. But they've rolled out rectangular Watch faces, something I've been wanting since the first Watch. That's helped assuage my desire for a round Watch and one area where I think Apple actually has dropped the ball— making more watch faces for all Watches. I get releasing really cool ones with OS upgrades and even then some on only the newest Watches. But toss the rest of us a bone and create some new, clean simple updates and not just 1000 and one ways to wear a belt.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    razorpit said:
    put me in the camp of “always on display, I guess that’s cool?”
    I'm in the same camp. I'll say I've never ever (never say 'never') had to tap my Watch to see the time, outside of Theater Mode, when in the theater. Even then I have a 'theater' watch face so as not to annoy anybody. And I almost never check the Watch while at the movies.

There have been times that the way my wrist was resting, a typical Raise to Wake move didn't. So I put my arm down so the Watch is parallel to the ground for a few seconds and then raise my wrist the same what I do with mechanical watches and it works fine.

I never wanted for the lack of an always on Watch, but am happy Apple came through for those who do. When I get an S5, I'll leave that feature on for a few weeks, then turn it off and see if I miss it and how much, then choose a default.

Since Apple has included this feature, I'd like to see them provide the option of having a different Always On Watch face from a Fully On Watch face. Just because.
    watto_cobra