Apple considering a further bailout of Japan Display after consortium fails

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple manufacturing partner Japan Display has lost one of its consortium bailout participants -- and the iPhone maker is reportedly considering coming to the rescue, again.

Apple's new iPhone 11 comes in multiple colors.
Apple's new iPhone 11 has LCD screens, at least some of which are made by Japan Display.

Japan Display had been due to receive a bailout investment from Apple and a consortium of Chinese companies. Alongside Apple's approximately $47 million contribution, the screen manufacturer had been expecting a further $742 million from the other firms. Now Harvest Fund Management has withdrawn its $557 million from that consortium bid.

According to the Wall Street Journal, unnamed sources with direct knowledge of the discussions, report that Apple may now double its investment.

It's further reported that Japan Display may be able to continue with the remainder of the consortium funds.

The Nikkei Asian Review says that Japan Display's longstanding financial difficulties have been eased by how the firm received a $93 million investment from the Innovation Network Corporation of Japan on September 3. And Japan Display has been contributing screen for Apple's iPhone 11.

The iPhone 11 uses an LCD screen rather than the OLED ones of the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max. Japan Display has been slow to move from LCD to OLED production.

However, it has previously been reported that Japan Display may provide OLED screen panels for the Apple Watch.

The company is expected to produce screens for OLED iPhones, but it may take a further two years before that can happen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I love Japan Display’s quality panels. Thank you Apple for letting this quality panel maker not go under. The Chinese government funds the Chinese display makers , which Japan doesn’t .
    narwhal
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I love Japan Display’s quality panels. Thank you Apple for letting this quality panel maker not go under. The Chinese government funds the Chinese display makers , which Japan doesn’t .
    This is not true.  It's really far from being true.  Innovation Network Corporation of Japan is a public-private partnership between the Japanese Government and 19 corporations.  The government provided the vast majority of the funding for the venture.  Japan Display primarily exists because of Japanese government intervention.

gatorguyracerhomie3fastasleepmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 8
    This is not true.  It's really far from being true.  Innovation Network Corporation of Japan is a public-private partnership between the Japanese Government and 19 corporations.  The government provided the vast majority of the funding for the venture.  Japan Display primarily exists because of Japanese government intervention.

I did not know that. Can anyone else confirm that?
  • Reply 4 of 8

You can confirm it.  Simply Google Japan Display Inc. or INCJ.  JDI's origins are pretty common knowledge.

fastasleepmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 8
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Yup, I will...
    https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/innovation-network-corp-of-japan
    edited September 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Seriously, I think Japan display is a failing cause.

I am sure they make great product. But the production cost is way too high compared to Chinese and Korean. 

I read some articles about Japanese electronic industry. They tend to make the best possible product. So it is too advanced for the mass market and too expensive compared to Korean and Chinese. If Japanese is not so faithful to Japanese product, Japanese electronic company already lost the Japanese market too. 
    netmage
  • Reply 7 of 8
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    By this time wouldn't Apple own the company? Seriously.

Only thing I could think of is the fact Apple doesn't like being in the parts manufacturing business.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    viclauyyc said:
    Seriously, I think Japan display is a failing cause.

I am sure they make great product. But the production cost is way too high compared to Chinese and Korean. 

I read some articles about Japanese electronic industry. They tend to make the best possible product. So it is too advanced for the mass market and too expensive compared to Korean and Chinese. If Japanese is not so faithful to Japanese product, Japanese electronic company already lost the Japanese market too. 
    Japan used to make the best ultraportables.  Remember Vaio, Libretto or any those crazy UMPCs?  That was way before the MacBook Air.  Other than the actual limits, they don't seriously advertise them and simply believes the best product will always sell.  Most importantly though, they never had the influence like Apple.  Intel made SU-series chips primarily for the Air.

Japanese as a whole can make a tremendous amount of progress, but they're hard to turn it around.  It beats the U.S. because of DRAM but also failed because of it.  I believe that Sony still has the best display technology in the world, but it means nothing when Samsung can mass-produce their panels with decent quality.
    edited October 2019