Apple website hints macOS Catalina to launch on Oct. 4

Posted:
in macOS edited February 2020
Apple has not publicly announced a release date for macOS Catalina, but the company's regional website serving Denmark suggests the next-generation operating system will be available next week.

macOS Catalina

A webpage on Apple's Danish site details upcoming macOS Catalina features and notes Apple Arcade will launch on the Mac App Store on Oct. 4. The subscription gaming service, which is already available on iOS and tvOS, requires Catalina to function, meaning it will launch alongside or after the next-generation macOS is released.

"Play extraordinary. Find it in the App Store from October 4," the text on Apple's Danish page reads. The "Play extraordinary" tagline is common to Apple Arcade's advertising material.

As noted by MacRumors, which spotted the Oct. 4 date on Thursday, the accompanying informational webpage for Apple Arcade does not include mention of a specific launch date.

Identical Apple Arcade teasers found on other localized Apple websites include similar text, but none point to a specific launch date. The U.S. version of the same advertisement, for example, reads, "Play extraordinary. Coming to the Mac App Store in October."

Arcade went live last Thursday for devices running iOS 13, with expansions to iPadOS and tvOS arriving this past Tuesday. Apple's current release timeline pegs a debut on Mac sometime this fall.

Apple typically releases new software early in the week, with major updates arriving on Monday or Tuesday. Considering Oct. 4 is a Friday, it is possible that Catalina will launch early next week ahead of a start to Apple Arcade services. Alternatively, Apple could break with convention and issue both Catalina and Arcade on Friday.

Announced at the 2019 Worldwide Developers Conference in June, macOS Catalina delivers a fresh Mac experience with new technologies like Voice Control, second-screen capabilities with iPad via Sidecar, a refreshed user interface and new and upgraded first-party apps. Other major additions include Project Catalyst, a development framework that enables app makers to more easily port iOS software to Mac, and a breakup of iTunes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    DeathDeath Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    They better release it early. My Mac isn't syncing with my iPhone and iPad with regard to reminders, notes
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 27
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Death said:
    They better release it early. My Mac isn't syncing with my iPhone and iPad with regard to reminders, notes
    I'm sure you'll manage, Oct 4th is only like a week away.
    razorpitcaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 27
    It will be too expensive to replace all the 32-bit apps like Indesign.

Has anyone got a good VM/parallels solution?

Otherwise i am gong to have to skip for the first time in 18 years.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27

Most current versions of popular software are already 64-bit (Including InDesign): However there is likely a lot of old software, particularly old creative software and games (including Steam), which are still 32-bit. I'd recommend keeping an old mac around with 32 bit support for the meantime.

You can check incompatible software by going to:
    System Information (in Utilities folder), choose Software from the left hand side and sort the list by "64-Bit Intel." It's a good idea to write to developers who don't have 64-bit versions to see what their plans are.
    fotoformatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 27
    October 1st would be better, but I'll take it!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 27
    I want it now! ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 27
    This is gonna be a mess of an upgrade, mostly because of the 64-bit thing. The forum is gonna explode once its released and people start installing it. Of course it will be all Apple's fault when developers have had many many years to get their shit all 64-bit. Its not Apple's fault the developer(s) have dragged their feet on this. They all knew it was coming eventually. Its not like macOS being only 64-bit was a secret thing that crept up on them. 
    edited September 2019 Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 27
    macxpress said:
    This is gonna be a mess of an upgrade, mostly because of the 64-bit thing. The forum is gonna explode once its released and people start installing it. Of course it will be all Apple's fault when developers have had many many years to get their shit all 64-bit. Its not Apple's fault the developer(s) have dragged their feet on this. They all knew it was coming eventually. Its not like macOS being only 64-bit was a secret thing that crept up on them. 
    Not just that but the strict Gatekeeper requirements as well. Hopefully I’m wrong but I just don’t see Apple giving a certificate to projects like MakeMKV.
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    macxpress said:
    This is gonna be a mess of an upgrade, mostly because of the 64-bit thing. 
    Only for people that totally ignored all of the reminders that Mojave would be the last OS to support 32-bit. That change is not a surprise. Plus, the easy workaround is to clone your current drive to an external disk and boot from that if you still need access to certain 32-bit apps. 
    mwhitecaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 27
    macxpress said:
    This is gonna be a mess of an upgrade, mostly because of the 64-bit thing. 
    Only for people that totally ignored all of the reminders that Mojave would be the last OS to support 32-bit. That change is not a surprise. Plus, the easy workaround is to clone your current drive to an external disk and boot from that if you still need access to certain 32-bit apps. 
    Thanks I never thought of that, I like to play Monopoly every once in a while and it will never be 64-bit but I have an external drive that I backed up with Carbon Copy Cloner and when I miss playing it can boot from that. I have Monopoly on my iPad but it's just not the same.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 27

Or maybe it's finally time to get off the Adobe train? I haven't tried Affinity Publisher, but if it's as awesome as their Photoshop and Illustrator competitors…

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/publisher/
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Apple Arcade has me wanting all-new everything.

Our basic home needs are so simple (internet e-mail and photos) that we're still on a 2009 iMac, a 2008 & 2009 Macbook, and iPad mini 2's (iOS-12!).

Still brings joy every day that such old HW was supported so well by Apple with the new OSs, even when they stopped taking updates.  Still use-able for the basics.

But Apple Arcade makes me want to have all new everything, including an Apple TV, and a PS-4 controller.  Man!   Daddy-Likes!

Is the best-guess that next year could/would/might-be all-new chassis for iMac?  I love the 5mm sides (friction-stir welding!), but I'd be bummed to wait 10 years, buy, THEN the bezel-less future-one comes out.

Have a good weekend all.

Eric.
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Death said:
    Which is why AppleInsider staff recommended you not upgrade your iOS or watchOS until Catalina was released. Did you not read that article?
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 27

The general pubic is completely unaware of what Catalina will bring. Many will be auto-updated without knowing their 32 bit apps are dead. Apple tech blogs and the Apple Discussion Forums will be deluged with outrage and condemnation. They will claim that Apple should have called them individually to tell them what was going to happen. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see a class action lawsuit filed because of this. i had hoped that Apple would come up with some kind of transitional Rosetta-like framework to ease the pain. Believe me, the typical user pays no attention to those pop-ups warning their software needs to be updated.

The more customer focused companies will have already made their products Catalina ready. I use Epson printers/scanners and over the past year Epson has been slowly updating their utilities to 64 bit. The last straggler, Event Manager, was just updated a few days ago. From what I can see on my system all the Epson software is now 64 bit and I expect there will be no problems with the move to Catalina on my Epson WF-2860 all-in-one. I don’t know about HP, Brother, Canon, and others.
    edited September 2019 Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 27
    My birthday. Sweet 👍
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Apple Arcade has me wanting all-new everything.

Our basic home needs are so simple (internet e-mail and photos) that we're still on a 2009 iMac, a 2008 & 2009 Macbook, and iPad mini 2's (iOS-12!).

Still brings joy every day that such old HW was supported so well by Apple with the new OSs, even when they stopped taking updates.  Still use-able for the basics.

But Apple Arcade makes me want to have all new everything, including an Apple TV, and a PS-4 controller.  Man!   Daddy-Likes!

Is the best-guess that next year could/would/might-be all-new chassis for iMac?  I love the 5mm sides (friction-stir welding!), but I'd be bummed to wait 10 years, buy, THEN the bezel-less future-one comes out.

Have a good weekend all.

Eric.
    Offering a standard iMac in Space Grey like the Pro model would be all I need.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Looking at the Apple Catalina Web site https://www.apple.com/macos/catalina/ I think whomever did the site for the Danish Apple page misplaced the number 4 as on the USA site it references a footnote about it belonging to Apple Arcade & Apple TV+ info.
    comcastsucks
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Eric_WVGG said:

Or maybe it's finally time to get off the Adobe train? I haven't tried Affinity Publisher, but if it's as awesome as their Photoshop and Illustrator competitors…

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/publisher/
    I use Affinity Photo and I now like it better than Photoshop CC. I don't use Publisher, but I've heard great things about it from friends who do. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 27
    EsquireCats said:
    Most current versions of popular software are already 64-bit (Including InDesign): However there is likely a lot of old software, particularly old creative software and games (including Steam), which are still 32-bit. I'd recommend keeping an old mac around with 32 bit support for the meantime.
    Steam itself is already 64-bit. You might have to delete the app and re-download it to get the 64-bit version. I did that and it's 64-bit in Mojave.
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 27

Or you could get the 64-bit versions, which have been available for a long time.  So in 18 years, you have never updated your apps?  Boo-hoo...first world problems.
    watto_cobra