Pixelmator introduces discounted upgrade program for Pixelmator Pro

Posted:
in Mac Software edited September 2019
Users of the original Pixelmator on macOS can now purchase the more advanced Pixelmator Pro for a discount of up to 50% off the full retail price.

Left: Pixelmator Pro for Mac. Right: the original Pixelmator
Left: Pixelmator Pro for Mac. Right: the original Pixelmator

The maker of long-standing Mac graphics app Pixelmator has introduced an upgrade pricing program to encourage users to move to its newer Pixelmator Pro. Depending on the price you originally paid for Pixelmator, you can receive up to 50% off Pixelmator Pro's price of $39.99.

The original Pixelmator graphics program, first released in 2007, is currently still available for purchase from the Mac App Store for $29.99, and offers a broad range of image editing features.

Pixelmator Pro, introduced in December 2017, presents a far greater range of typically refined features that utilizes Apple software. Technologies such as Metal 2 and machine learning power a matching color system that's akin to video color grading, plus image transformation tools.

Using Pixelmator Pro's refined tools to adjust colors in an image
Using Pixelmator Pro's refined tools to adjust colors in an image

Most recently, Pixelmator Pro used Apple's Photos Extensions technology to bring all of its tools directly into the regular Photos app.

"With prestigious accolades like the Mac App of the Year award from Apple, glowing reviews from our users, and thousands of five-star ratings on the Mac App Store, Pixelmator Pro is a hit," said Saulius Dailide, one of the founders of the Pixelmator Team.

"We're confident every existing Pixelmator user would be thrilled with all the new tools, features, and improvements the app brings," he continued. "And that's why we're so excited to launch the Pixelmator Pro Upgrade Program, letting existing Pixelmator users upgrade to Pixelmator Pro with a discount."

The discount is also interesting because of the way it's been done. The Pixelmator team are leveraging the Mac App Store's bundles feature. So while both Pixelmator and Pixelmator Pro are both available separately in the Store, now there is also a bundle.

If you click to buy it, the Mac App Store shows you a price called Complete My Bundle. It's similar to the way you can buy an episode of a TV season and then later get the rest of that series for a little less.

"It's time for us to give all of you still using the original Pixelmator a friendly nudge to check out Pixelmator Pro, the successor to the image editor you know and love," said the Pixelmator team on a blog post.

Since the original launch of Pixelmator on the Mac 12 years ago, the app has been joined by a series of titles rather than solely Pixelmator Pro.

The company also produces apps for iOS. There's a version of Pixelmator on the iPhone and iPad, plus there is also Pixelmator Photo for iPad only. The company says that it is working on a version of Pixelmator Pro for iPad, but there's no release date yet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Your “you can receive up to 50% off” link is currently broken.
    ednl
  • Reply 2 of 21
    At the time I bought Pixelmator 2.1 for €11.99 which admittedly was a good discount already, but apparently this means I now get a whopping €1.00 discount on the €43.99 price for Pixelmator Pro ...... Hmph.
    cecil4444
  • Reply 3 of 21
    ednl said:
    At the time I bought Pixelmator 2.1 for €11.99 which admittedly was a good discount already, but apparently this means I now get a whopping €1.00 discount on the €43.99 price for Pixelmator Pro ...... Hmph.
    Amazing value. Compare that with Adobe.
    baconstangDAalsethwozwozStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 21
    ednl said:
    That version is over 7 years old. You're lucky to get a discount at all at this point.
    stompywozwozjeffharrisStrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 21
    LaraCroft836LaraCroft836 Posts: 8unconfirmed, member
    Your “you can receive up to 50% off” link is currently broken.
    One would then go to the App Store. I also received offer via email.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    It would be nice if it actually worked.

Oh, I was able to pay for the upgrade, but Pro didn’t show up under purchased, and I couldn’t figure out how to get it to download and install.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member

Oh, I was able to pay for the upgrade, but Pro didn’t show up under purchased, and I couldn’t figure out how to get it to download and install.
    Sorry you're having trouble. Try this:

1. Open the Mac App Store.
    2. Search for Pixelmator Pro.
    3. Don't click on Pixelmator Pro, click instead on the "Complete My Bundle" offer.
    4. Buy that, then both programs download (and install automatically) directly into your Applications folder.

If that doesn't work for you, request a refund for any money you've paid and try again. Apple will be happy to sort you out either via refund or a code you can use to get what you intended.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    The offer is more expensive than the original price. What a rip off. https://www.dropbox.com/s/wan1bcfrjp2si4g/2.png?dl=0
  • Reply 9 of 21
    The offer is more expensive than the original price. What a rip off. https://www.dropbox.com/s/wan1bcfrjp2si4g/2.png?dl=0
    European_fanboy, that pic looks like Pixelmator was purchased using a different account. I had that same problem until I logged into an older account that was used to purchase Pixelmater. That said, I was offered a whopping $5US off. I'll pass.
    cecil4444
  • Reply 10 of 21
    And to follow up, it should have "Complete My Bundle" (or the localized version of that) next to the price, with "Regularly $X" in grey text underneath "Complete My Bundle" when you are signed into the correct account.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    I’m seeing just over a 25% saving at £28 to complete the bundle vs £38.99 regular price for pro. Can’t remember what I originally paid for Pixelmator as I’ve had it for ages. 
  • Reply 12 of 21
    In Norway, the complete my Bundle price is $11 MORE than just Pixelmator Pro (and I have Pixelmator)... So, no thanks.
    cecil4444
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Absolutely love this app. I’m not a graphic artist nor do I spend a lot of time editing photos, but I’ve always had a graphics app on my Mac for those ‘just in case’ moments. Years ago that used to be Illustrator and Photoshop when I qualified for student pricing. 

I switched to Pixelmator (the original version) when it launched. It was good, but I could never get the hang of the interface. I just don’t like the floating pallet approach, it feels clunky to me. 

Pixelmator Pro is so much easier for me to use, and the layout makes perfect sense to me. Love that everything is available in a sidebar that I can open and put away as needed. 

What I really want is Pixelmator Pro for iPad. I hope it’s in the works. Pixelmator for iOS is good, but it lacks a lot of the more advanced tools in Pro for macOS. 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 14 of 21
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I’d happily upgrade as I bought Pixelmator 4 years ago, but not showing 50% off for me so I’ll pass too.
    cecil4444
  • Reply 15 of 21
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    chasm said:

Sorry you're having trouble. Try this:

1. Open the Mac App Store.
    2. Search for Pixelmator Pro.
    3. Don't click on Pixelmator Pro, click instead on the "Complete My Bundle" offer.
    4. Buy that, then both programs download (and install automatically) directly into your Applications folder.

If that doesn't work for you, request a refund for any money you've paid and try again. Apple will be happy to sort you out either via refund or a code you can use to get what you intended.
    Is the offer over or was it not available in the USA? I searched on "Pixelmator Pro" in the app store and the results came back with Pixelmator Pro, buying a tutorial, Pixelmator (with the open button because I already own it) and more tutorials and templates. No bundle option for me as of 11 am central US September 28.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Just so there aren't only comments from people who seem to be running into trouble, I get the "Complete My Bundle" price of $20 to get Pro. It lists the price as $39.99 to buy Pro alone. I purchased Pixelmator in 2013, not certain what I paid. Whatever it was, that is an amazing bargain considering how software sells nowadays. I'll gladly give them the $20. I feel like I owe them more than that.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    I don't recall what I paid for the original Pixelmator but I'm getting only $5 off. 
  • Reply 18 of 21
    I don't recall what I paid for the original Pixelmator but I'm getting only $5 off. 
    Same here, getting a "$35.00" offer.  I wonder if it matters if you got it at a previously discounted price.  I paid $14.99 for version 3.3 then (December 2014).
    midwestapplefan
  • Reply 19 of 21
    It looks like I purchased Pixelmator directly as I have a serial number for it.  Is there any chance of a discount?

• Reply 20 of 21
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    chowim said:
    It looks like I purchased Pixelmator directly as I have a serial number for it.  Is there any chance of a discount?

Do you get an offer to complete the package? I don't even get that option. I'm not sure if I purchased directly or via the app store but I do remember I purchased during a discount window.