Hands on with the ceramic Apple Watch Edition Series 5

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited February 2020
Ceramic has returned as a case material in the Apple Watch Series 5. AppleInsider checks out the new model, and sees what has changed since we last saw the material two years ago.

Apple Watch Edition Series 5 in ceramic

As the Apple Watch evolves, one differentiations has been new case materials. We saw the most expansive lineup yet in the Apple Watch Series 5 with the addition of titanium and the re-release of ceramic. These two are added to the aluminum, Nike, stainless steel, and Hermes models for six different options and a variety of colors.

The ceramic Apple Watch case is made from a fine powder that is highly compressed before being polished to a shine with a diamond slurry.

It has a clean, glossy white appearance -- same as with the Series 3 -- but now it has the larger screen and the updated body that was introduced in the Apple Watch Series 4. The rear of the watch has a dark ceramic back and the Digital Crown has the tell-tale red ring around the dark ceramic indicative of its cellular abilities.

Last time we saw the ceramic, it had a fully red Digital Crown. Now the dial is home to an electrode that is used for taking an ECG.

The ceramic case is highly resistant to fingerprints and scratches so it should retain that stunning exterior for a long time.

With the new Apple Watch Series 5, Apple also debuted several new bands in new color schemes. Aside from the band you choose, it also comes with an additional sports band.

This is great if you pick up something like the new Meyer Lemon leather loop and need that sports band for working out.

Otherwise, the contents are the same as you'd expect. A 5W charger and the stainless steel magnetic charging puck are included with the Apple Watch Series 5 Edition.

Where to buy

The ceramic Apple Watch Edition starts at $1,299, but those willing to opt for an aluminum or stainless steel case can find Apple Watch Series 5 styles on sale at Apple Authorized Resellers like Amazon and B&H Photo. For the latest deals and product availability, be sure to visit the AppleInsider Apple Watch 5 Price Guide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    If this will encourage somebody to get an Apple Watch who otherwise would not wear the more mechanical look of the aluminum version that would be great -- Not so much for Apple, but for them!   The Apple Watch has so many benefits -- particularly health related, that they will be the clear winners here.
    applesnorangeswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 23
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Of all the materials used for the Apple Watch, the ceramic model is just stunning.  I can't justify spending that much on a piece of tetchy-jewelry, but it is a beauty.  I hope Apple expands on using this material for other things.
    GeorgeBMaccaladanianapplesnorangeswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    DavidCinciDavidCinci Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I had the ceramic white series 2 and grey ceramic series 3. When the 4 was announced I was annoyed by the material choices, I purchased a space black SS model.

I am very pleased with the series 5 in ceramic, it’s exactly what I wanted in the series 4. I think I might even keep this one for 2 generations.

The only complaint is the band color, they should have brought back the cloud band with ceramic pin. Seeing as I sold my series 2 on eBay 2 years ago I went to eBay and picked up a grey cloud band. This watch will be perfect when it arrives.
    GeorgeBMacapplesnorangesStrangeDayschiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Mine is arriving on Monday, can't wait. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    I’d like to see a durability test..
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I’d like to see a durability test..
    I purchased a Series 2 ceramic. My son wears it now (I have a series 4 SS). The Series 2 ceramic looks as good as the day I bought it.
    applesnorangestwokatmewStrangeDayswatto_cobraspice-boy
  • Reply 7 of 23
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Wish the $10,000 18K Gold Edition still existed. Even in limited quantities there's people who would buy it. Profit for Apple. Remember these same people will opt for a Rolex instead since Apple's watches are too "cheap".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Wish the $10,000 18K Gold Edition still existed. Even in limited quantities there's people who would buy it. Profit for Apple. Remember these same people will opt for a Rolex instead since Apple's watches are too "cheap".
    Since they stopped producing to 18k watch.  I would think it sold in very very small amounts.  Not worth the investment to produce.  

Not a fan of the ceramic but the tastes vary.  Love my S4 watch.  
    chemengin1
  • Reply 9 of 23
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Since they stopped producing to 18k watch.  I would think it sold in very very small amounts.  Not worth the investment to produce.  

Not a fan of the ceramic but the tastes vary.  Love my S4 watch.  
    1) I agree. If it was financially viable they'd likely do it. Even if didn't have a direct benefit in terms of sales, they could still have offered it because of the marketing potential… if they thought that its existence would generate enough additional sales of the Watch as a product category. I seem to recall a Daring Fireball post about how the Edition sales fell off by 90% after just a couple weeks.

2) I also agree. I find the shiny white of the ceramic to look very plasticy. It might feel great compared to plastic, but I don't exactly feel my Watch on my wrist and that aspect isn't something I consider when I interact with it.
    phonephreakwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Looks like cheap plastic and ridiculous to spend that kind of money on something that will be outdated in 2 years. Even the series 4 is cut from having features in OS 6 due to hardware limitations.  Buy the cheapest Apple Watch case material because the expensive case materials offer no benefit as far as functionality.  All it shows is that you overpaid for a watch.  

People that still use an iPhone 6 cannot even update any Apple Watch to OS 6 unless they buy a new phone because the watch requires iOS 13, which has nothing to do with the WatchOS.  I have a Series 2 that is pretty much zero value these days and it is just over two years old.  At least it was only $349, not $1,299.  
  • Reply 11 of 23
    If Apple could guarantee that the ceramic and titanium watches can have their internals upgraded for $500 for the next X number of years, there would be many times more people buying these ceramic and titanium watches. Their internals should be able to be upgraded to newer internals for at least three years following their release to justify their higher price. 
    edited September 2019 caladanian
  • Reply 12 of 23
      No, people would opt for a Rolex because it will last a lifetime and not become outdated in a year or two. 
    80s_Apple_Guygatorguychemengin1hammeroftruth
  • Reply 13 of 23
    sirozha said:
    If Apple could guarantee that the ceramic and titanium watches can have their internals upgraded for $500 for the next X number of years, there would be many times more people buying these ceramic and titanium watches. Their internals should be able to be upgraded to newer internals for at least three years following their release to justify their higher price. 
    Problem with that is you cannot guarantee future internals will get worthy upgrades e.g this years CPU did not get a boost
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Looks like cheap plastic and ridiculous to spend that kind of money on something that will be outdated in 2 years. Even the series 4 is cut from having features in OS 6 due to hardware limitations.  Buy the cheapest Apple Watch case material because the expensive case materials offer no benefit as far as functionality.  All it shows is that you overpaid for a watch.  

People that still use an iPhone 6 cannot even update any Apple Watch to OS 6 unless they buy a new phone because the watch requires iOS 13, which has nothing to do with the WatchOS.  I have a Series 2 that is pretty much zero value these days and it is just over two years old.  At least it was only $349, not $1,299.  
    Agreed, residuals for the ceramic are poor. Here would be £1000 price fall in 2 years. It’s still fairly affordable compared to a lot of luxury watches.
    caladanian
  • Reply 15 of 23
    The gold edition must have been a commercial failure. Why else would Apple drop it? The problem is having a watch taking up retail space, where the customer base is very niche.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 16 of 23

Nope. It shows you have materials preferences and the ability to pay for them. I’ve had both sport and steel models and to me the steel far outshines the aluminum material for reasons. Thus, I have no issue paying for it despite one day it being obsolete. 

But you know what I won’t pay for? Diamonds and expensive jewelry, which to our household are worthless but which most enjoy. 

In life, YMMV. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23

sirozha said:
    Nah. For those with the disposable income it doesn’t matter, you can give away or sell or put it in a drawer and forget about it. High-end and women’s fashion is expensive and often seasonal, they don’t whine about internal upgrades. They just move on. 

If you can’t upgrade the CPU or other internals of a $2500 notebook, you’re high if you think Apple will design less expensive watches for upgrading. 

Doesn’t sound like you’re up for this sort of spending, but that doesn’t mean no one is. 
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 23

rossb2 said:
    The gold edition must have been a commercial failure. Why else would Apple drop it? The problem is having a watch taking up retail space, where the customer base is very niche.
    They didn’t. Cook said clearly during the AW launch event it was a limited short run product.
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 23
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    sirozha said:
      No, people would opt for a Rolex because it will last a lifetime and not become outdated in a year or two. 
    That's just silly.  A Rolex is a piece of jewelry and its sole purpose is to tell the time.  Any Apple Watch years later will still at a minimum do exactly that.

A Rolex has perceived value.  That's all. 
    StrangeDaysSoliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 23
    There are a couple of instances in the video where the voiceover says 'titanium' instead of 'ceramic'. Anyway, I love the look of the ceramic, but could not justify spending that much when I update my AW every 2-3 years, so I will stick to the Aluminium (said in a Jony Ive style as I am from the UK!). Still really enjoying my S4, though the always on display would be nice.