Apple releases iOS and iPadOS 13.1.1 updates with third-party keyboard fix

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61

applguy said:

In the App Store where do I go to see what apps need to be updated? (Auto update is off)

The update button seems to have been replaced with Arcade. 
    Ap store / my account.
  • Reply 42 of 61
    ElCapitan said:
    It still keeps nagging to update Apple ID. 
    Also Touch ID is erratic but now at least it recognizes the fingerprint about  70 percent of the time. 
    Try another finger. Every time I restring my guitars and bases it stops recognizing my thumb. My wife couldn’t use Touch ID at all, turned up her index finger was constantly calloused by kitchen work, now touch ID works perfectly with her other fingers.
    I have done that and it all works after I deleted the Apple ID and added it back again. 

A casual internet search will reveal others have had / have the same issues with the 13.0 and 13.1 update. 
    philboogie
  • Reply 43 of 61
    Talking about bugs ... it seems to me that I experienced strange behavior in my iPhone11 Pro camera app. Sometimes the "Capture outside frame" works, sometimes it doesn't. Same with exporting HEIC format. Sometimes it is HEIC, sometimes just jpg .... Anybody else having this?
  • Reply 44 of 61
    You have to delete the beta profile in order to get 13,1,1 - pain in the ass across multiple devices 
  • Reply 45 of 61
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    drewsk said:
    You have to delete the beta profile in order to get 13,1,1 - pain in the ass across multiple devices 
    Then resist the temptation to download and install the beta in the first place. 
  • Reply 46 of 61
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    apple ][ said:
    frantisek said:
    lol what a two completely opposite comments.
    Some people choose to see the glass half full, while others choose to see it half empty.

I don't see this is a big deal.

I updated to iOS 13 on all of my devices recently and it's been working good. I especially am liking iPad OS. It's the most significant change to the iPad that I can remember, and I've seen ALL of the iPad updates since the beginning. It's made the iPad even more capable than before. I like how you can fit even more icons on the home screen now. There are many huge changes and great features that have been added.

So, there is another small update to fix some sort of third party keyboard flaw? So what? I don't see the big deal. It's a good thing that Apple is on top of things and can push out a new fix so quickly.

I see the glass twice as big as it needs to be. 

To people on this forum it’s no big deal and why we choose Apple devices, to get bugs fixed as fast as possible. To “normies” like my wife however they see it as a bit tedious and I get an eye roll every time I tell her she needs to update. Especially when it’s three times in two weeks.  
    Updates are a fact of life. 

Does your wife have Microsoft Office? That updates practically every time I run it.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 47 of 61
    lkrupp said:
    ElCapitan said:
    lkrupp said:

ElCapitan said:
    It still keeps nagging to update Apple ID. 
    Also Touch ID is erratic but now at least it recognizes the fingerprint about  70 percent of the time. 
    For you personally maybe, not the majority of users. 
    Yeah, I am sure they made a personal nag for me. – What a dumb reply you posted!

Was cleared by deleting the apple id in question and add it back, but that should not be required. More attention to core system integrity and functionality, and less attention to anatomically correct emojis would be a good place to start. 
    Then why haven’t the rest of us had to do what you had to? Why is that an individual assumes every glitch they experience must be a bug that is affecting everyone else. I guess it’s because if you alone are experiencing it then it points to something else not related to the update. That no one else had to delete their Apple ID and re-enter it should be telling you that your personal experience was a fluke glitch and not some bug in the update. But no, you came to say it was the update itself that caused this and it’s all Apple’s fault.
    Do you know for a fact that no one else has had the issue? do you know for a fact that it wasn't the update? If no one ever posted bugs because they hadn't seem them before how would anyone ever find out about them? Further more, what percentage of users need to be affected for a bug to be significant? 5%? That still means 95% of people don't have the bug, but do you want to take bets on whether Apple issues bug fixes for issues that affect less than 5% of users? 

Replies like yours are just as asinine as the anti-apple troll posts are. 
  • Reply 48 of 61
    M68000 said:
    For what it's worth,  there are comments on youtube videos and comments to those videos of people's iPhones running hotter than before with iOS 13.x.x.  One of the videos is including the new 11 phones as running noticeably hot.  If that is indeed true, that would be very troubling as heat is an enemy of electronics.  It would imply increased CPU/GPU going on, I guess.   I'm usually quick to update but starting to think I will be sitting this one out for a month at least and stay on 12.4.1 until some news breaks on all this stuff one way or the other.
    I've got 13.1 on my iPhone Xs and only notice it getting warm when playing a game. Have they commented on battery life? I there's thermal protection built in, so I'd worry about the battery consumption more than the heat. iOS will frequently need to perform file maintenance and indexing with a major OS upgrade, so it's not uncommon for battery life to be a bit worse initially, but it often levels out after a bit. There could of course be a bug, but there are other possible explanations as well.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    sflocal said:
    dysamoria said:
    What an embarrassing release for a major new iOS (and yes, I’m refusing to call every version of iOS by a separate name).

Exactly what is embarrassing?  I haven't seen any gripe worth noting about this v13 upgrade.  I've upgraded my iOS devices and have had zero issues.  If you're having issues with an update coming not long after v13 was release, then please enlighten us on any OS upgrade of any competitor that has been perfect since day one and has never had to have an update issued to it.  Sounds like your standards are a wee bit too high.

That's not to say that iOS 11 (I think) was probably the worse upgrade I've ever seen... other than that, I myself have never had issues with any of the other ones, let alone installing updates not long after their release.
    Then you're not looking in the right places.  Those of us with new iPhone's are having major issues with restoring from iCloud backup and then getting our Photo's back on our device.  I heard the Mail app was having issues with Exchange accounts.

Photos and mail...hardly minor apps.  And while researching the issues I'm having with iOS 13 and my new iPhone 11, I see plenty of widespread issues.  
  • Reply 50 of 61
    lkrupp said:
    dysamoria said:
    What an embarrassing release for a major new iOS (and yes, I’m refusing to call every version of iOS by a separate name).
    I suppose you would rather just live with bugs and not have them fixed. Apple is not embarrassed at all. Apple is to be applauded for fixing things quickly. The only people to be embarrassed are the ones who irrationally think every software release should be perfect and without flaws. That attitude makes them look foolish. Is Google embarrassed over the Chrome bug that bricked a bunch of Macs? Nope and they withdrew the update until it is fixed.

What this should make clear to anyone wanting to learn is that even beta testing programs don’t catch everything. Releasing to public with millions of users and just as many configurations always brings out issues no one ever saw coming. The most embarrassing comment in a tech forum is one that starts out, “Why didn’t they catch this in testing? Wow, the QA is going down...” It means the commenter has no clue and that’s embarrassing.
    Does anyone expect it to be perfect?  I don't think so.  But people do expect major features to at least work.  Those of you upgrading existing phones have a completely different experience than those with new iPhone's that came with iOS 13 and have the task of getting everything back on the new iPhone.  In my experience (and from a particular thread elsewhere, many, many others) it's not a good experience.  Certainly issues that should have been detected in testing were missed or ignored.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 51 of 61
    ITGUYINSD said:
    sflocal said:
    dysamoria said:

Exactly what is embarrassing?  I haven't seen any gripe worth noting about this v13 upgrade.  I've upgraded my iOS devices and have had zero issues.  If you're having issues with an update coming not long after v13 was release, then please enlighten us on any OS upgrade of any competitor that has been perfect since day one and has never had to have an update issued to it.  Sounds like your standards are a wee bit too high.

That's not to say that iOS 11 (I think) was probably the worse upgrade I've ever seen... other than that, I myself have never had issues with any of the other ones, let alone installing updates not long after their release.
    Then you're not looking in the right places.  Those of us with new iPhone's are having major issues with restoring from iCloud backup and then getting our Photo's back on our device.  I heard the Mail app was having issues with Exchange accounts.

Photos and mail...hardly minor apps.  And while researching the issues I'm having with iOS 13 and my new iPhone 11, I see plenty of widespread issues.  
    I support just a little over 15,000 iPhones & iPads.  We have Exchange both on premise & O365 (we're migrating to O365).  We've had zero issues with iOS 13.x & Exchange.  Not even any issues with the betas.

So take what you hear with a grain of salt...
    chia
  • Reply 52 of 61
    nicholfd said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    sflocal said:
    dysamoria said:

I support just a little over 15,000 iPhones & iPads.  We have Exchange both on premise & O365 (we're migrating to O365).  We've had zero issues with iOS 13.x & Exchange.  Not even any issues with the betas.

That is a pretty bold move to install a brand new iOS on 15,000 devices.  Not sure, as an IT person myself, I would be so bold.
    philboogie
  • Reply 53 of 61
    apple ][ said:
    applguy said:

In the App Store where do I go to see what apps need to be updated? (Auto update is off)

The update button seems to have been replaced with Arcade. 
    You click on your username avatar, upper right corner of screen.
    And swipe down to refresh!
  • Reply 54 of 61
    YvLy said:
    Talking about bugs ... it seems to me that I experienced strange behavior in my iPhone11 Pro camera app. Sometimes the "Capture outside frame" works, sometimes it doesn't. Same with exporting HEIC format. Sometimes it is HEIC, sometimes just jpg .... Anybody else having this?
    I believe it's HEIC when Airdropping to another iOS device. Email et cetera will default to jpg, AFAIK.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    nicholfd said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    sflocal said:
    dysamoria said:

That is a pretty bold move to install a brand new iOS on 15,000 devices.  Not sure, as an IT person myself, I would be so bold.
    Apparently... you're the one not looking in the right places I guess.  I hear the corner diner has a great selection of humble-pie for you.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:

M68000 said:
    The iTunes on my Mojave Macbook is still stuck at iOS 13.0 being available.  It did not know about 13.1 and now doesn't know about 13.1.1    oh well...
    Why are you using iTunes?
    It does a backup of the phone in case it gets bricked
    Yeah, but just do your backup in iTunes and then just check your Settings > General > Software Update on the device for your update.
    Yeah,  but if I use iTunes there is less chance of junk left over installer stuff being left on phone and taking up space.  I can’t prove it wastes space but decided a long time ago to use iTunes because of such a thing
    So you're not doing it for any rational reason. Okay, then.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    M68000 said:
    For what it's worth,  there are comments on youtube videos and comments to those videos of people's iPhones running hotter than before with iOS 13.x.x.  One of the videos is including the new 11 phones as running noticeably hot.  If that is indeed true, that would be very troubling as heat is an enemy of electronics.  It would imply increased CPU/GPU going on, I guess.   I'm usually quick to update but starting to think I will be sitting this one out for a month at least and stay on 12.4.1 until some news breaks on all this stuff one way or the other.
    Often after an update your iPhone does an entirely new Spotlight index. 
  • Reply 58 of 61

fastasleep said:

No, because I assume most of my friends update their software. You also wouldn't always necessarily know if you have a security breach on your device. How do YOU know you don't have some nefarious app exfiltrating your data without alerting you?

The fix today included "Third party app extensions may not receive the correct sandbox restrictions" as well as giving permission to third party keyboards without user approval which is exactly the kind of thing that reduces that exact possibility.

Also, "issues that could prevent the device restoring from a backup, and a patch on a problem that could cause the battery to drain too quickly. It also resolves a problem in Safari where search suggestions may re-enable after being turned off, and a problem that could cause Reminders to synchronize too slowly." which are all things I'd want fixed on my device.

I don't know why you'd opt out of any of this stuff, but you do you and stick with unfixed and insecure software in defiance of common sense. 
    I don't update because in spite of bug fixes one gets new bugs. If that wasn't the case, at some point there wouldn't be any bugs to fix. I get a newer version of iOS when I buy a new iOS device. Yup, that comes with bugs. I guess it's just inherent to software, though as a non developer I don't understand why they can't create bug-free software.
    That makes zero sense. So, you'll keep a version that drains your battery and has known vulnerabilities because the next version may have some other completely unrelated bug? That's absurd.

"I don't understand why they can't create bug-free software" — /headdesk
    chia
  • Reply 59 of 61
    They sure fucked up 13.0 what a POS
  • Reply 60 of 61
    dougd said:
    They sure fucked up 13.0 what a POS
    Dougd doesn’t like it!
    lkrupp