2nd Class Service for New Computer not purchased direct from Apple

Posted:
in Genius Bar
I bought an iMac 27" from B&H (Good Deal, quick delivery 3 days v Apples 10+)
Within a week of using it the keyboard started to stick on the keys.

Step 1
Online Apple support.  After a bit of discussion the person told me that they could send me a new keyboard in 5-7 days or I could go to the Apple Store 50 miles away
The Tech told me I would need to take the whole computer with me.
It felt like I wasn't being trusted immediately, having to carry the whole machine for a keyboard issue

Step 2
Set up an appointment at Apple Store

Step 3 
Contacted Apple online support again, this time to ask if I really needed to take the whole computer to the store, since I was concerned about damage in transit.  I was told to take the keyboard, mouse (bizarrely), the receipt and to make a note of the serial number.  More feeling of distrust

Step 4
Showed up at the Apple Store
Tech took my keyboard for a short while, then came back to tell me I'd need a new one.  He would order one for me.
Wait - What!!!  There are a bunch of new keyboards on the shelf right in front of me.
Well he explained - since I didn't buy direct from Apple, I needed to order a keyboard.
I asked why I was being treated differently based on where I purchased my computer.  No sensible response other than he was trying to help me.

Step 5
Manager showed up
He changed the story and told me that I still needed to order one and that the keyboards I could see were for retail sale only.
Apparently Apple reserves in store keyboards for walk in customers and not customers who already handed in their money
He then told me that I would need to return to the store to pick up the keyboard, or he could get me in touch with someone that could order one direct to my home
By this time I was getting very impatient and lacking understanding of Apple's service policy for defective parts.
I told the Manager to think differently
He told the tech to give me a keyboard and then walked away without saying a word to me.  

Summary
Apple seems to have a different policy for repairs based on where you bought the computer.  For those buying outside an apple store or online store, it is a 2nd Tier service.
There was a lack of continuity in the service for a very minor defect.  The runaround was pretty appalling

Anyone else had the same issue?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    I bought an iMac 27" from B&H (Good Deal, quick delivery 3 days v Apples 10+)
    Within a week of using it the keyboard started to stick on the keys.

Step 1
    Online Apple support.  After a bit of discussion the person told me that they could send me a new keyboard in 5-7 days or I could go to the Apple Store 50 miles away
    The Tech told me I would need to take the whole computer with me.
    It felt like I wasn't being trusted immediately, having to carry the whole machine for a keyboard issue

Step 2
    Set up an appointment at Apple Store

Step 3 
    Contacted Apple online support again, this time to ask if I really needed to take the whole computer to the store, since I was concerned about damage in transit.  I was told to take the keyboard, mouse (bizarrely), the receipt and to make a note of the serial number.  More feeling of distrust

Step 4
    Showed up at the Apple Store
    Tech took my keyboard for a short while, then came back to tell me I'd need a new one.  He would order one for me.
    Wait - What!!!  There are a bunch of new keyboards on the shelf right in front of me.
    Well he explained - since I didn't buy direct from Apple, I needed to order a keyboard.
    I asked why I was being treated differently based on where I purchased my computer.  No sensible response other than he was trying to help me.

Step 5
    Manager showed up
    He changed the story and told me that I still needed to order one and that the keyboards I could see were for retail sale only.
    Apparently Apple reserves in store keyboards for walk in customers and not customers who already handed in their money
    He then told me that I would need to return to the store to pick up the keyboard, or he could get me in touch with someone that could order one direct to my home
    By this time I was getting very impatient and lacking understanding of Apple's service policy for defective parts.
    I told the Manager to think differently
    He told the tech to give me a keyboard and then walked away without saying a word to me.  

Summary
    Apple seems to have a different policy for repairs based on where you bought the computer.  For those buying outside an apple store or online store, it is a 2nd Tier service.
    There was a lack of continuity in the service for a very minor defect.  The runaround was pretty appalling

Anyone else had the same issue?

Service keyboard stock is not the same as retail keyboard stock. Even if you bought direct from Apple, you'd need a keyboard from service stock.
    spock1234
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Couple of questions/ comments
    whats the difference between a service keyboard and a retail keyboard?
    why wouldn’t the Genius Bar maintain a service stock if there’s a difference?

the tech told me the reason for not changing my keyboard was because I didn’t buy the computer at an Apple store

• Reply 3 of 3
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Couple of questions/ comments
    whats the difference between a service keyboard and a retail keyboard?
    why wouldn’t the Genius Bar maintain a service stock if there’s a difference?

the tech told me the reason for not changing my keyboard was because I didn’t buy the computer at an Apple store

The difference is mostly in accounting. They’re the same keyboards, just accountable to a different business segment. And, they do stock some keyboards, but not like dozens or anything.

As far as what the tech told you on replacement, that’s not how it’s supposed to work.
    edited September 2019