Here are the Apple TV+ shows that you can watch at launch, and what's coming soon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    sirozha said:
    How does a service with just a few shows compare to Netflix or Hulu, which have thousands of titles? 

Because people sick of wading through thousands of titles just to find one watchable (not even quality) shows.

And Apple website mentions about new contents (plural) monthly. $5 / free is really cheap for big names production.
    ronnAppleExposed
  • Reply 22 of 47
    asdasd said:
    They literally need 100s of shows. A deal with some distributor is needed.

No.

ronnAppleExposedlkrupp
  • Reply 23 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    lkrupp said:
    This is also on Apple’s website...

"If you have an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple TV, you already have the Apple TV app — the ultimate way to watch Apple TV+. And this fall, we’re bringing the Apple TV experience to popular smart TVs, streaming boxes, and streaming sticks.”

That sounds like TV+ will be available on Roku,  Firestick, selected smart TVs, and  Chromecast.

-Customers who purchase any new iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac or iPod touch starting September 10 can enjoy one year of Apple TV+ for free.

-Beginning November 1, customers can initiate the one-year free offer in the Apple TV app on the device running the latest software. Customers have three months after device activation to claim the offer, or if the device was purchased and activated before the launch of Apple TV+, they will have three months starting November 1. The subscription will automatically renew at $4.99 per month after one year. Customers can cancel at any time in Settings at least one day before each renewal date. Customers who cancel during the offer period will forfeit the remainder of their offer.

-This limited time offer applies to both new and refurbished models, including devices from the iPhone Upgrade Program, is not restricted to any specific sales channel (e.g., Apple Store, resellers) and will be available in all countries where Apple TV+ will launch. Up to six family members can share one Apple TV+ subscription and watch using their own Apple ID and password. Only one one-year offer is available per family, regardless of the number of devices purchased.

edited September 2019 ronnAppleExposed
  • Reply 24 of 47
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    dpkroh said:
    sirozha said:
    How does a service with just a few shows compare to Netflix or Hulu, which have thousands of titles? 

Apple TV should have become a streaming delivery platform for content providers to use. Kind of like a cable TV provider is a delivery platform for multiple content providers. This way, content providers could concentrate on the content and let Apple handle the technical issues related to streaming. 

Instead, Apple decided to become a content provider with their own streaming service. It’s clearly a dead end approach, as people will only be willing to have a limited number of streaming services. 

Actually I think quality vs quantity is exactly the right approach. Used to be at least any NetFlix Original was guaranteed to be good to great. Netflix is now so full of crap it’s barely worth the hassle of bothering with. I would much rather subscribe to 10 really good shows with no crap content, then have to wade through the cesspool of mostly never should have been made crap that has to be waded through on a Netflix. I remember when I worked in London, UK in early 2000. Premium TV meant having 3 channels.... yes... just 3 good channels vs 300 channels of time wasting, can’t find anything , keep surfing hoping to find something that doesn’t suck... TV here in North America. Less is more when quality trumps quantity.

Beat me to it.

Apple is funding their own content for quality assurance. Where you can spend hours a year searching through crap and previewing content on Netflix, Apple is aiming at quality content only.

gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:

"If you have an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple TV, you already have the Apple TV app — the ultimate way to watch Apple TV+. And this fall, we’re bringing the Apple TV experience to popular smart TVs, streaming boxes, and streaming sticks.”

That sounds like TV+ will be available on Roku,  Firestick, selected smart TVs, and  Chromecast.

-Customers who purchase any new iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac or iPod touch starting September 10 can enjoy one year of Apple TV+ for free.

-Beginning November 1, customers can initiate the one-year free offer in the Apple TV app on the device running the latest software. Customers have three months after device activation to claim the offer, or if the device was purchased and activated before the launch of Apple TV+, they will have three months starting November 1. The subscription will automatically renew at $4.99 per month after one year. Customers can cancel at any time in Settings at least one day before each renewal date. Customers who cancel during the offer period will forfeit the remainder of their offer.

-This limited time offer applies to both new and refurbished models, including devices from the iPhone Upgrade Program, is not restricted to any specific sales channel (e.g., Apple Store, resellers) and will be available in all countries where Apple TV+ will launch. Up to six family members can share one Apple TV+ subscription and watch using their own Apple ID and password. Only one one-year offer is available per family, regardless of the number of devices purchased.

Including refurbished models? What a greedy company!!!!1 /s
  • Reply 25 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    dpkroh said:
    sirozha said:

Apple TV should have become a streaming delivery platform for content providers to use. Kind of like a cable TV provider is a delivery platform for multiple content providers. This way, content providers could concentrate on the content and let Apple handle the technical issues related to streaming. 

Instead, Apple decided to become a content provider with their own streaming service. It’s clearly a dead end approach, as people will only be willing to have a limited number of streaming services. 

Actually I think quality vs quantity is exactly the right approach. Used to be at least any NetFlix Original was guaranteed to be good to great. Netflix is now so full of crap it’s barely worth the hassle of bothering with. I would much rather subscribe to 10 really good shows with no crap content, then have to wade through the cesspool of mostly never should have been made crap that has to be waded through on a Netflix. I remember when I worked in London, UK in early 2000. Premium TV meant having 3 channels.... yes... just 3 good channels vs 300 channels of time wasting, can’t find anything , keep surfing hoping to find something that doesn’t suck... TV here in North America. Less is more when quality trumps quantity.

Beat me to it.

Apple is funding their own content for quality assurance. Where you can spend hours a year searching through crap and previewing content on Netflix, Apple is aiming at quality content only.

gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:

Including refurbished models? What a greedy company!!!!1 /s
    Figured readers here might be interested in knowing that. 
  • Reply 26 of 47
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    kevin kee said:
    asdasd said:

No.

yes.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Of course with the free service they will get 100M or more subs, depends on the sales. They then have a year to have hundreds of shows. Dozens won't do it. Most people wlll not pay for a limited service. 
  • Reply 28 of 47
    mjtomlin said:
    sirozha said:

TV Channels, is exactly what you’re talking about.
    Correction. Apple TV Channels should be what he's talking about. But like every other failure in the TV space under Eddy Cue, they've failed to get anything meaningful signed on. Can you access the libraries of Netflix, Hulu, Disney, Amazon....or even Apple itself, as Channels? No. 

If the above were possible, than Apple TV Channels would be significant. As such, its not.
  • Reply 29 of 47

asdasd said:
    Well they don't need hundreds of show to give it away for free with hardware purchases and then claim $60 in revenue for a year of service. It is clear now that this was their plan. They don't care if anyone subscribes. They're still going to count you as a subscriber every time you buy a device. They'll report 10s of millions of subscribers every year, without needing a single legitimate one.
  • Reply 30 of 47

lkrupp said:
    Did no one actually listen to Cook when he announced this? He clearly said TV+, besides the original content, also includes access to other content like movies. Go back and play the announcement again. My take is that it will indeed include content similar to Prime, Netflix, and Hulu. 
    If it were going to be anything of the sort, this would have been the first thing you heard about. This would have been the news. The product. This would have been Apple Music for video, the thing people actually want. That is not what's happening here. At all.

• Reply 31 of 47
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    dpkroh said:
    sirozha said:

sirozha said:

I get your point, but you can't say Apple's offerings are all quality. For me personally, I'm only interested in See and Elephant Queen since I like nature documentaries. Sure there is a lot of crap on Netflix, but there is also a ton of good quality content. It's pretty hard to run out of things to watch on Netflix. I'll give Apple's offering a chance with the free trial and decide at the end if it's worth the price. 
  • Reply 32 of 47
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Folio said:
    Didn't Cook say AppleTV was launching in 100 countries? Now when you consider 100-150 million users minimum the first year, and $5 month subscription, that boggles the mind. Apple will do in a year what it took Netflix more than a decade...

Why are you even trying to compare the two?  Netflix was a pioneer, they did all the ground work, Apple has just come along and used all their hard work, there is no way you can compare their growth
  • Reply 33 of 47
    This is about where they will be in three to five years. After everyone’s free year is done, it’s then likely to become all about bundling — subscribe to Apple Music and Arcade and/or News+, then TV+ is included. There could also be hardware requirements. Apple has a lot of options in the long run.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    This is crazy, I  bought a new iPhone.  So I will get the free year membership to Apple TV.

And I still wont watch these shows.  Probably won’t even log on.

This is disappointing - Apple has know about this direction for years.  Yet here we are.

they are 3-4 years away from creating a substantial competing library of content.

As for Quality over Quantity?  Planet of the Apps....enuf said.  

• Reply 35 of 47
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

asdasd said:
    Well they don't need hundreds of show to give it away for free with hardware purchases and then claim $60 in revenue for a year of service. It is clear now that this was their plan. They don't care if anyone subscribes. They're still going to count you as a subscriber every time you buy a device. They'll report 10s of millions of subscribers every year, without needing a single legitimate one.

gatorguy said:
    Only one one-year offer is available per family, regardless of the number of devices purchased.

DEBUNKED.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Apple TV+ is the least service I’m interested in but now I’ll get it for free from my purchasing of new iPad Air 3 I’m pumped. Would like to see what it is. 
    Personally, Apple should let the creative team who created all the opening video of Keynote having a chance at it. They’re pretty good. 
  • Reply 37 of 47
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    Eclectic bunch of shows.  What’s the deal with Snoopy in Space?  I saw some Snoopy in Space stuff at the top of the Tokyo Skytree too. 
  • Reply 38 of 47
    DisperDisper Posts: 10member

So let's put this in perspective.
    Apple makes a new streaming service with new original content of movies and series and is going to charge $4.99 per month.

When i subscribed to Netflix i always had trouble finding something i wanted to watch for some reason, and i would often end up searching for longer that it would be to actually watch a show before finding something.

I often rent movies on Vudu because i find the Rotten Tomato reviews more helpful than other rental services.
    A new movie rental for HD or UHD is usually $6.21 after taxes.

And no you don't hear me complaining "I spent five dollars WHERE'S MY BACK CATALOG WHAUUA!"
    "I spent five dollars it has to be the same model as Netflix!".

Apple will probably put out new entire series likely every month for only $5.
    If you buy a series at Best Buy they can go from $25 to $50.
    The Walking Dead Blu-Ray Season 9 is $59.

This whole 'money is more important than quality argument or whauua' is not really a good position.
    Technically it is actually a fundamentally unhelpful self position.
    That is why when you see people try to create or encourage something good - there are flocks of people who 'just can't wait to get on the internet to tell people who care about something real that they are 'dumb' or 'don't get it' because blah blah blah money."

Money is not the only value system - why, because technically at fundamental level it actually is the absence of one when it is used to encourage the overturn of quality in any of its forms.

ricmac
  • Reply 39 of 47
    sirozha said:

Personally this is a win.  Nextlix/Hulu/Amazon do have much more content, when when I look at the content I actually watch Apple TV will have equivalent watchable shows for me.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    gatorguy said:
    Only one one-year offer is available per family, regardless of the number of devices purchased.

DEBUNKED.
    Citation?