Editorial: Apple's removal of 3D Touch is a backwards step for 'Pro' iPhones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    On the Lock Screen, it now takes even longer to deliberately open the flashlight or access the camera -- frustrating on a phone that is overall faster thanks to the A13 Bionic processor.
    I’ve been using 3D touch since launch and I never noticed flashlight takes longer, let alone frustratingly so. 

Yes, things work differently now, like jiggle mode. But it’s a minor difference. About the only thing I miss is pressing anywhere on the keyboard to go into cursor mode on iPhone, and pressing harder to go into text selection mode (tho this was often janky and would drop out if pressure was inconsistent, so it could be a pain). 
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 60
    I always thought that the differences between 3D Touch and long-press (functionality-wise) could be confusing to users, and in most cases, I didn't think it was necessary to have two modes instead of one. That said, I do like that pressing forcefully can eliminate the delay with 3D-touch-enabled phones, and there are some cases where it makes sense to have two different functions depending on whether you long-press or 3D press.

Overall, I don't blame Apple for scrapping this. You can get just about all the same functionality with long-press, and a lot more people will use it. 3D touch was nice for power users, but probably not worth the trade-off as far as cost and space it takes up in the phone that could be used for bigger batteries.
    JapheyStrangeDaysjdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 60
    Weird I much prefer a lighter touch than pressing down hard in a way that never seemed to work reliably.
    jdb8167firelock
  • Reply 24 of 60
    AjguyAjguy Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I'll take the five extra hours of battery life. As a big 3D Touch user, I've come to barely notice its absence. Also, if you press on an app, as soon as you feel the pop of the haptic touch, you can start dragging to rearrange. You neither have to continue holding down until everything starts jiggling or selection the menu option.
    lkruppStrangeDaysjdb8167fastasleepdocno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 60
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I must be in the wrong crowd.  I used it.  I thought it was interesting but inconsistent in how apps used it.  Eventually, I forgot about it.  Many iPhone folks I know have zero clues about it. 
    lkruppjdb8167docno42
  • Reply 26 of 60
    PujiMak said:
    I’m quite disappointed when updating iOS13 on my iPhone XS.. 3D Touch was totally scrap. For a phone which has 3D Touch capability, the software turned off this feature. Like WTF. Honestly this really annoying.. even my colleagues tend to agree with me. 

Yes 3D Touch wasn’t really popular for the masses. But Power Users aka Pro Users.. really utilise this. 

So for this, I’m quite sad about it. 
    gatorguy said:
    Lacreid said:
    netrox said:
    I agree. I don't really like the Haptic Touch. 3D Touch was way much better and faster. But given the fact that it added substantial cost to iPhone and not many people took advantage of 3D, it just no longer make sense to keep supporting it.
    Apple removed 3D Touch not because of cost, but because of two main factors:
    1. As much as I loved it, VERY FEW people used it. Discovery of allowed shortcuts was crap, and the experience was inconsistent. A smallish group of pro / hardcore users loved the feature like I did, but it was hardly a top 10 feature for the masses.
    2. Removing the 3D touch components created a TON of space inside iPhones to expand the battery. Those extra 4-5 hours come from a more efficient processor, AND a bigger battery. 

I guess, given the hard choice, I would choose longer battery life and haptic touch over the alternative. I still miss 3D touch, particularly with Peek / Pop and in the keyboard.
    Why did it have to be disabled in the models that shipped with the proper hardware and offered it as a feature? Totally honest question. Are you sure it's been removed from the previous models with iOS13?

Removing features after the purchase isn't something that users tend to take lightly, see Nest and the camera notification light for example. 
    Not sure why people think 3D Touch has been removed in iOS 13, but I can confirm that it is still present and appreciated for my XS Max. It's one of the main reasons why I'm hesitant to go to the 11 Pro Max, but I'm sure I will enjoy the better battery life that comes with the trade off.
    svanstromfastasleepRayz2016netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 60
    iphone 6s here. things have gone bad since ios13

i am not sure if haptics has replaced 3d touch or if haptics is using the pressure sensor. from my physical tests, it seems rather that both are working, i can press in and i can long press. but the sensitivity is crazy, i adjusted in accessibility but it has not helped.

stuff reacts all over the place, i am not even sure how to interact with content in a given instance, just trying to scroll can peek and pop if i am touching the wrong thing.

the context menus even go off screen, which is a strange design choice.

i hate to say this, but YoY apple’s software is becoming harder to use - too erratic, messed up and bloated. i was keen to buy an 11. not so sure now that i need to spend $1k to have the muddled experience i have already in my hand.

each year my apple watch also gets harder to use. adding more features is cool, but they are such outlier things. if it doesn’t have a watch face complication, then i no longer use it - the app grid and list is too much.

even correcting spelling has become a strange challenge, tapping a misspelt word does not bring up replacement words, the only way to get that now is to pLace the cursor to the exact right of the word.

i think i would have preferred $6 billion spent on operating system awesomeness, not 10 shows no one wants.

services are cool but if apple forgets it is a hardware company we are screwed.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Wgkrueger said:
    I like the new haptic touch rather that the inconsistencies introduced by the 3D Touch of having to know how hard and how long to press which resulted in a confused mix of actions. 
    I have to agree.  Seems like most people liked 3D Touch, but it was so inconsistent for me.  I could never quite master it and found it frustrating.  I didn't even realize it was gone after updating to iOS 13, but was pleasantly surprised how much easier Haptic Touch was for me.
    jdb8167
  • Reply 29 of 60
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    3D Touch was never reliably functional. I use it on my 6s and it sucks. The worst part is the triggering for text editing, but that’s not nearly the only problem. It also gets in the way of taps that have slightly more pressure than expected by the OS, which is invisible to users, causing missed taps. Ever tap harder when you’re irritated at an iOS bug? Welcome to a positive feedback loop of annoyance.

Also: why does it take 3 - 6 taps on the comments link on articles for it to actually work?
    mobirddocno42
  • Reply 30 of 60
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Agreed 100%. Long press with haptic feedback is NOT the same, not as good. I don’t care what Android fanboys say. I agree with Jason Snell and Myke Hurley. It’s a feature regression. I’d love to know why. My guess is they cheapened out on the XR/11 and didn’t want to have to support it on the pro phones so they half-assed it with haptic touch.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    You may love it. So I am sad if this impacts many. I hated it, 100%, and turned it off after trying once. Several phones.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Japhey said:
    tylersdad said:
    netrox said:
    I agree. I don't really like the Haptic Touch. 3D Touch was way much better and faster. But given the fact that it added substantial cost to iPhone and not many people took advantage of 3D, it just no longer make sense to keep supporting it.
    Did they lower the cost of the phone when they removed Touch 3d?
    No, they just added a bigger battery and an extra camera and kept the price the same. But you knew that already. Right?

Seems like a logical compromise to me. Trade in a feature that very few developers and even fewer people used in exchange for giant upgrades to the two features nearly every survey says are the most important things people consider when purchasing new phones. 

Had they kept 3D Touch, they would either have to raise the price of the phones or earn lower margins on each one sold. Both of those scenarios would have resulted in louder, longer, and more widespread outrage. 

Meanwhile, this controversy will pass. We may have lost a few conveniences with the switch, but Haptic Touch will continue to develop and evolve. In six months this won’t even be a conversation any more. 
    What is your evidence that the extra camera and bigger battery could only happen with the removal of 3D Touch? And if this is about margins how were they able to lower the price of the iPhone 11 compared with the XR? 
  • Reply 33 of 60

crowley said:
    Its kinda sad the new iOS removes significant 3D Touch functionality from iPhone devices which have been sold with this feature advertised. I'd really love to downgrade back to iOS 12 if I had done a backup previously ^^'
    My iPhone X still seems to have 3D Touch in iOS 13, and the options to turn it on and off are still there in Accessibility settings?
    Older devices apparently still have it but when I was running 14 betas on my XS the experience definitely felt different than when I was running iOS 12.
  • Reply 34 of 60

Wgkrueger said:
    I like the new haptic touch rather that the inconsistencies introduced by the 3D Touch of having to know how hard and how long to press which resulted in a confused mix of actions. 
    How is haptic touch better? I don’t really find that it is at all.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Preferred 3D Touch and Touch ID, but what does my opinion mean to Apple? Not much.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Also, I’m posting this note in the hope someone at AI can see this. On my iPhone running iOS 13.1.2 I’m not seeing ANY replies in any of the threads. Not even my own after I post, so basically this site is a ghost town for me right now.

I even tried logging out and back in to no avail. Not even sure if anyone replied to me with a direct message that it would reach me. Very strange.

UPDATE:  Seem to have found the issue. Looks like some alteration to the site or to Safari identifies the text posts here as spam for some reason.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 37 of 60
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    I always felt like they tried to do too much with 3D touch. After having it on my phone for years, I simply could never get it to peek and pop how I wanted it to. I much prefer the Apple Watch's version, where it simply brings up the context menu immediately. I always felt it should have just been a replacement for long-tap, instead of long-tap, light-press, hard-press etc.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Japhey said:
    tylersdad said:
    netrox said:
    No, they just added a bigger battery and an extra camera and kept the price the same. But you knew that already. Right?

Seems like a logical compromise to me. Trade in a feature that very few developers and even fewer people used in exchange for giant upgrades to the two features nearly every survey says are the most important things people consider when purchasing new phones. 

Had they kept 3D Touch, they would either have to raise the price of the phones or earn lower margins on each one sold. Both of those scenarios would have resulted in louder, longer, and more widespread outrage. 

Meanwhile, this controversy will pass. We may have lost a few conveniences with the switch, but Haptic Touch will continue to develop and evolve. In six months this won’t even be a conversation any more. 
    What is your evidence that the extra camera and bigger battery could only happen with the removal of 3D Touch? And if this is about margins how were they able to lower the price of the iPhone 11 compared with the XR? 
    My evidence is literally every single article on Apple Insider and the internet that says the removal of 3D Touch was a cost-saving decision. Did I dig into all the analysts’ breakdown of component costs? No, I just assumed the people who wrote those articles knew more than I did. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 60
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Japhey said:
    tylersdad said:
    netrox said:

M
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 40 of 60
    Disagree. I would rather have a consistent experience across all devices, and that's also much better for the average user who doesn't care to understand all of this. If Apple isn't going to put 3D Touch on all their devices, it's best that they've ditched it in favor of Haptic Touch.
    muthuk_vanalingamdocno42watto_cobra