Microsoft reveals ARM Surface Pro X, Intel Surface Pro 7, AMD Surface Laptop 3

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    So my guess is this is a Snapdragon 8cx derivative with an added AI core.

Still can't keep up with the A12X from last year, and the A13X is right around the corner. I really would like to see an A13X powered MacBook. It's time for Apple to take their complete control of the entire stack (hardware/software/dev tools) and apply that to an ARM MacBook.
    The MS presenter did state that the new Surface Laptop is 3X faster than the new MBA.  So take that for what it's worth.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

Still can't keep up with the A12X from last year, and the A13X is right around the corner. I really would like to see an A13X powered MacBook. It's time for Apple to take their complete control of the entire stack (hardware/software/dev tools) and apply that to an ARM MacBook.
    The MS presenter did state that the new Surface Laptop is 3X faster than the new MBA.  So take that for what it's worth.
    Excellent point. One I think is, well, debatable. I think most tech nowadays is performing quite similar - in general.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    eightzero said:
    I have a list of companies that I simply will not buy from. Microsoft, Samsung, Sears. There is nothing they can offer that will make me consider their wares. Ever.
    no microsoft?

vizio? word? excel? onedrive for business?

how do you even work? please don’t say numbers or open office, i mean i respect your willingness to suffer for your convictions if you do.
    muthuk_vanalingamCarnagemocseg
  • Reply 24 of 50
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Nice to see some great products from Microsoft AND some good competition for Snapple
    bigtds
  • Reply 25 of 50
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Good to see 15” laptop offered at reasonable price.
    bigtds
  • Reply 26 of 50
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    The WonderBar™! Good grieve, this Neo dual display thingy looks, well, a terrible device. For me that is. YMMV.

And what does Windows 10 X mean? Are they again skipping version numbers, by going from 10 to 20?

It is a difference release, similar to having Windows 10S, Windows 10 N etc
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Windows 10X on ARM.  Does the X mean a virtualization layer?  Rosetta Stone style?
  • Reply 28 of 50
    Has anybody been watching the keynote?   Who in the world is that clown talking about the new Surface Laptop 3?   You’d think he’s describing a cure for cancer.  

And the overwhelming number of “kinda” and “sort of” and “um” expressions really shows a complete lack of presentation polish.  

I love the Surface Pro (have one for work), but I had no idea how excruciating their press conferences were.  
    It’s a slog, that’s for sure. The guy is a terrible salesman. Just get to the bloody point!
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 50
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    daven said:
    Regardless, this is not good news for Intel. As companies realize ARM chips are the better solution for laptops, that is going to cut into Intel production.
    Yes, I agree but have to wonder how poor the performance specs of the Surface Pro X is compared to the i5/i7 based Surface Pro 7.   Microsoft should have realized 5 years ago that they needed an ARM based solution that could compete with Apple's A series chips.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Windows 10X on ARM.  Does the X mean a virtualization layer?  Rosetta Stone style?
    It means they are copying Apple's marketing from 2 years ago.
    SpamSandwichcornchip
  • Reply 31 of 50
    I would have been impressed if you could have gotten 32 GB Ram in the Surface Pro 7.    Fail.   SP7 is basically what they should have offered last year.   Does the Surface Pro 7/Surface laptop support Thunderbolt 3 and eGPUs.    If not this is kind of disappointing and should be skipped.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    eightzero said:
    I have a list of companies that I simply will not buy from. Microsoft, Samsung, Sears. There is nothing they can offer that will make me consider their wares. Ever.
    no microsoft?

how do you even work? please don’t say numbers or open office, i mean i respect your willingness to suffer for your convictions if you do.
    I work for production house (advertising) and I don’t use any of those. I’m using Pages instead of Words and Numbers instead of Excel for personal use and haven’t touched OneDrive or Vizio.
    I get by just fine. 
    fastasleepcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 50
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    I'm impressed! Apple is being left in the dust, it's becoming more clear every year. That Neo device is what Apple should have come out with, but didn't because they have been too scared to move away from their tried and true, but aging, device designs.
    Found the Microsoft engineer!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 50
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    eightzero said:
    no microsoft?

I don't use any MS software either, except for the occasional boot into a Parallels VM to do cross-browser testing. I do just fine with Numbers, thank you.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 50
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member

The SQ1 is based on the Snapdragon 8cx, it's rated at 7W and is manufactured on a 7nm process.

The CPU is comprised of eight Kryo 495 (four performance and four efficiency) cores running at 3.0 GHz. The SQ1 Adreno 685 GPU offers 2.1 TFLOPS (this is assumed to be FP16) of performance and the AI engine offers 9 TOPS. In terms of RAM, it uses either 8 GB or 16 GB of LPDDR4X-3733. As for storage, it's paired with a 128 GB / 256 GB / 512 GB removable SSD. Panos also noted that other aspects had also been developed in conjunction with Microsoft IP, but he didn't go into any detail.

In short, it's not just a Snapdragon 8cx.

How it will all be used is far more interesting though. Unlike the Surface Pro 7, which is using Intel's 10nm Ice Lake CPUs, the Surface Pro X is using Windows 10 for ARM, which limits the software options. I'm curious to see how Microsoft continues to handle this transition.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    k2kw said:
    I would have been impressed if you could have gotten 32 GB Ram in the Surface Pro 7.    Fail.   SP7 is basically what they should have offered last year.   Does the Surface Pro 7/Surface laptop support Thunderbolt 3 and eGPUs.    If not this is kind of disappointing and should be skipped.
    The redesigned Surface Pro is only expected next year. No TB3 or eGPU support on the SP7 or SL3. The return of Iris Plus graphics is a good step though.

The Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 is using the same Ice Lake chip and it has TB3 along 32 GB RAM as an option - so it's not as if it couldn't be done.
  • Reply 37 of 50

He's not wrong.

The MacBook Air uses a 7 W 14nm i5-8210Y (2 cores / 4 threads, 3.6 GHz turbo) with UHD 617 graphics and LPDDR3-2133 RAM.

The base model 13.5" Surface Laptop 3 uses a 15 W 10nm i5-1035G7 (4 cores / 8 threads, 3.7 GHz turbo) with Iris Plus G7 graphics and LPDDR4x-3733 RAM.
    edited October 2019 Carnage
  • Reply 38 of 50
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    So the SQ Processor is based on 8cx, which itself isn't any faster than Snapdragon 855 Plus, not as fast as the iPad Pro nor a quad-core Us.

The 15" laptop, on the other hand, is based on low-power Ryzens.  Sure it's faster than the Air, but so does every quad-core Ultrabooks, what's the point.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 50
    KITA said:

He's not wrong.

The MacBook Air uses a 7 W 14nm i5-8210Y (2 cores / 4 threads, 3.6 GHz turbo) with UHD 617 graphics and LPDDR3-2133 RAM.

The base model 13.5" Surface Laptop 3 uses a 15 W 10nm i5-1035G7 (4 cores / 8 threads, 3.7 GHz turbo) with Iris Plus G7 graphics and LPDDR4x-3733 RAM.
    Performance claims from manufacturers often are misleading.  Pick the best sample/benchmark/environment comparing to the worst of your competitor surely makes a huge difference.  Ice Lake isn't that different in terms of IPC than that 8th-gen, so I doubt it can do 3X more.

Besides, 8210Y is already one year old, where Ice Lake was just announced.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 50
    k2kw said:
    daven said:
    Regardless, this is not good news for Intel. As companies realize ARM chips are the better solution for laptops, that is going to cut into Intel production.
    Yes, I agree but have to wonder how poor the performance specs of the Surface Pro X is compared to the i5/i7 based Surface Pro 7.   Microsoft should have realized 5 years ago that they needed an ARM based solution that could compete with Apple's A series chips.
    They did and failed.
    cornchipwatto_cobra