Everything new in iOS 13.2 beta 1: Deep Fusion, new AirPods, more

Posted:
in iOS edited October 2019
AppleInsider digs into all the changes found in the first beta of iOS 13.2 which includes new features, returning features, and Apple's highly-touted Deep Fusion photography feature.

First beta of iOS 13.2

Deep Fusion

The headlining feature of iOS 13.2 is the initial debut of Deep Fusion, Apple's computational photography feature coming to the iPhone 11 line.

Right now it is in the early stages and we've already dug into how it works, but expect further comparisons in the coming days.

Deep Fusion sample image
Deep Fusion sample image

In a few quick comparisons between an iPhone 11 Pro on 13.1 and an iPhone 11 Pro on 13.2, there aren't massive changes but we need additional time to test.

More changes and features

In the Settings app, there is a new Research category within Privacy. It points to a new, unreleased Research app. From here you will be able to manage privacy information and participate in research studies.

On iPad, the Home Screen and Dock settings were pulled out into their own category instead of being under Display and Brightness. The Slide Over app switcher also can now close windows just like the full-screen apps.

3D Touching or Haptic Touching on the TV app now has a contextual menu to resume where you left off.

The volume slider in Control Center replaced the iPhone glyph with the volume glyph. Gui Rambo has noted that videos for proximity cards such as AirPods have transparent backgrounds now which may be useful for a dark mode implementation.

Announce Messages with Siri
Announce Messages with Siri

Announce Messages with Siri has returned after being removed from the initial iOS 13 launch. Now Siri can announce messages through your AirPods.

Handoff in Settings now is AirPlay & Handoff. It can automatically play to Apple TV and a new Handoff toggle for HomePod is listed. It isn't functional in the beta, but when enabled, it will allow users to handoff audio between their iPhone and HomePod with a tap.

Inside of Music, listening history is now available and the shuffle/repeat icons have red backgrounds.

HomeKit accessories that have multiple sensors can now be optionally ungrouped. This makes viewing humidity, temperature, air quality at once easier than having to open the accessory first.

Potential noise cancelling AirPods found in 13.2 by 9to5Mac

Lastly, there are new resources in iOS 13.2 that points to a new set of noise-canceling AirPods. The new AirPods have a corresponding glyph that hints at the new design.

Anything else?

These are all the changes we've found so far but the list is obviously non-exhaustive. If you've found any other changes, reach out on Twitter @Andrew_OSU.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    iOS13 Tips app describes setting a reminder for next time you are Messaging the person but I don't see this capability in 3.1.2. Do you see any changes in the Reminders app?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The public beta is now available. 3.36 GB for my iPad Pro 12.9” 2018 model.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 3 of 15
    thttht Posts: 5,447member
    Whoop. My 2 year old iPods died. Decided to wait for this in-ear model instead buying the revised AirPods. Living with a Jaybird Vista now. Definitely looking forward to this rumored model. 
  • Reply 4 of 15
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Maybe we can talk about DACA here? :*
    /jk
    /s
    edited October 2019 lordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 5 of 15
    mobird said:
    No. There is an article about that on the site. Talk about it there.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    melgross said:
    mobird said:
    No. There is an article about that on the site. Talk about it there.
    They've blocked the "Discussion" feature. SOP.

"Hey @jack, Time to do something about this."...
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 7 of 15
    New in iOS 13.2, Beta 1. Had a badge on the Home app and low and behold.
    Not able to setup yet, received message that HomePods need to be updated. Unfortunately, no update currently available.
    edited October 2019 StrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 15
    .Handoff in Settings now is AirPlay & Handoff. It can automatically play to Apple TV and a new Handoff toggle for HomePod is listed. It isn't functional in the beta, but when enabled, it will allow users to handoff audio between their iPhone and HomePod with a tap.

We need the feature to automatically play to HomePod, that to me would be more useful than playing to Apple TV. The Handoff toggle for Homepod is rather an inconvenience.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 15
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    The volume slider in Control Center replaced the iPhone glyph with the volume glyph.”

What does this mean? It’s a speaker glyph in iOS 12. Are you saying it was changed in iOS 13 and then changed again? What’s a “volume glyph”.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    iCloud folder sharing doesn’t work for me on both iPhone and iPad on 13.1.2. Hopefully they make it work in 13.2. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 15
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    dysamoria said:
    “The volume slider in Control Center replaced the iPhone glyph with the volume glyph.”

What does this mean? It’s a speaker glyph in iOS 12. Are you saying it was changed in iOS 13 and then changed again? What’s a “volume glyph”.
    Indeed, 13.2 is the same as 12.x
  • Reply 12 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    iCloud folder sharing doesn’t work for me on both iPhone and iPad on 13.1.2. Hopefully they make it work in 13.2. 
    Yeah I am having trouble with this -- works on iPhone, doesn't work on iPad. The "Share" link-button is disabled for no discernible reason. 

Also, I heard it only works to share folders to other Apple IDs? This would suck. Hope AI does a story on the new folder sharing, and whether it is a true replacement for the overpriced Dropbox yet.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    "Gui Rambo has noted that videos for proximity cards such as AirPods"

I can't decipher this. What does it mean?

(Edit: I know what proximity cards are, but what do they have to do with AirPods? And where do videos fit into this?)
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Not sure but I think battery life is worse with Deep Fusion enabled, seems to go real fast. Anyone else? iPhone 11 Pro. 
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Not sure but I think battery life is worse with Deep Fusion enabled, seems to go real fast. Anyone else? iPhone 11 Pro. 
    I’ve read a couple of quick reviews of the feature and nothing was said about battery life. I imagine that once it’s released, we’ll get a more thorough evaluation.