Microsoft teases dual-screen Surface Neo notebook, Surface Duo folding phone for 2020

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    mubaili said:
    it looks ridiculous with the huge middle separation line, and in the age of Samsung Fold and Huawei Mate X
    Yep this is a fail because of the visible hinge. 
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Someone needs to call Microsoft out on the BS of showing a device they admit will look different than what they showed off and it will be 12 months before it will ship. It’s basically vapor ware on stage just to get the writers at The Verge to wet their pants.
    https://www.gsmarena.com/microsoft_announces_surface_duo__a_foldable_android_phone_with_two_screens-news-39448.php
  • Reply 23 of 33
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Apple almost always takes a concept and makes it better. I eagerly await the 2020 iPhone.
    edited October 2019 ravnorodom
  • Reply 24 of 33
    I feel like I'm the only one who wants a folding phone that expands to the size of a current smartphone. As opposed to taking a current phone and doubling it. I don't want a phone that is also a tablet, I was a phone that folds to half its size.
    This. No you are not the only one
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 33
    mubaili said:
    it looks ridiculous with the huge middle separation line, and in the age of Samsung Fold and Huawei Mate X
    You mean the one’s so full of problems they can’t seem to ship? The ones that can be destroyed with a pencil by mistake?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 33
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    bluefire1 said:
    Apple almost always takes a concept and makes it better. I eagerly await the 2020 iPhone.
    Why? It’s not going to be a dual screen device.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,663member
    They look like crap. 

Folding screens isn’t ready and is yet a solution looking for a problem. But its a bad solution. Literally a lose-lose proposition. 
    rogifan_newwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 33
    atomic101 said:
    Looks interesting and it has me thinking about the creative ways that it could be used on a daily basis.  One of the most cumbersome and limiting factors of a "smartphone for everything" mentality is that we lose the usability and utility from a more grounded setup (i.e. notebook, desktop).  A multi-screen setup for my workstation at work is wonderful for productivity.  I could see the same applying tor a smartphone.  I can't be the only person that has been frustrated with the every-growing multitude of swipes and multi-finger gestures needed to wrestle around the multi-tasking functionality of existing smartphones.
    I don’t do any swipes on my current phone. Otoh it doesn’t actually have a touch screen. It can make calls and run whatsapp so it’s enough for my phone needs.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 33
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    They look like crap. 

Folding screens isn’t ready and is yet a solution looking for a problem. But its a bad solution. Literally a lose-lose proposition. 
    It's not a folding screen. It's a dual screen. Big difference. I'm willing to bet you'll be seeing many more devices like this in the next 5 years. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple produced some sort of dual screen laptop in the future. I could function as a combination touchscreen and keyboard.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Someone needs to call Microsoft out on the BS of showing a device they admit will look different than what they showed off and it will be 12 months before it will ship. It’s basically vapor ware on stage just to get the writers at The Verge to wet their pants.
    https://www.gsmarena.com/microsoft_announces_surface_duo__a_foldable_android_phone_with_two_screens-news-39448.php
    But then there’s this: https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/3/20895268/microsoft-surface-duo-foldable-phone-dual-screen-android-hands-on-features-price-photos-video
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 33
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Now I see why I've never liked iPads. It took Microsoft to make understand why. Clearly Apple is stuck in a design rut not only with iPads but virtually all of their products.  It's become the same old thing every year with nothing more than tech spec upgrades. No real new ideas
    edited October 2019 williamlondon
  • Reply 32 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Weird stuff.

Android was originally developed by Google as a buttress against Microsoft controlling the mobile space like they did desktop. 15 years later it's Microsoft embracing Android as the OS of choice for a new product line.  
  • Reply 33 of 33
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Microsoft's Surface Pro consists of two nine-inch displays on a 360-degree hinge, allowing the device to fold in half both ways.
    I think they chose the wrong display size for the Neo. 9” isn’t big enough. 13” is the practical minimum for office automation, basically most types of digital work. If you want to display say Outlook or Word or Excel, I think your productivity will take a hit at 9” display sizes. Just to small to really use.

I’m all in on this type of form factor, and I’m not looking for any hardware keyboards either. Take two 12.9” iPads, hinge them together (Apple thought of this a long time ago, but obviously didn’t go to market), and I’ll happily type on glass. At 9” diagonal, just not big enough of a display surface for types of things most people do with tablets or PCs.

The folding form factors, or book or clamshell form factors, don’t have good screen ratios. If you are folding something in half or unfolding something to be 2x as big, there seems to be a too skinny problem in the folded position and too square in the unfolded position. It’s like a zone of death between 6” to 10” diagonal it is too cumbersome to use as a handheld and it is too small to display most PC software.

I’m tempting to think the rumored Moto Razr foldable is the best form factor maybe. The fold is along the short edge, where you can turn, say a 3:2 display to a 5:2 display, and the unfolding and folding can be done one handed.

watto_cobra