'iPhone SE 2' not dead, but won't be the same size as the original says Ming-Chi Kuo

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    M68000M68000 Posts: 719member
    Hopefully Apple factors in the added space that an average case adds to the phone. The whole thing should be smaller both in height and width than the iPhone 8.   Choice is a good thing and smaller phone will sell.  That being said,  i’m used to bigger 8 plus now and it may be the best iPhone i’ve had yet.  those who say they don’t want bigger phone maybe have not tried it.  But they should do the small phone for sure.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 22 of 71
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    melgross said:

TomE said:
    My wife & others do not want a large iPhone.  They all want an SE2 form factor.  Easy to pocket and easy to hold.  On this - I think Apple has missed the importance.
    Nonsense! While that may be true for a small number of people, putting a phone in a pocketbook gives it a lot of room, even in a small pocketbook. The difference in phone size doesn’t matter. I see people with giant phones in their pockets all the time.

so e people have made up their minds they don’t want big phones, and that’s ok, but the reasons I often see presented are ridiculous.
    I always think of Apple iPhone 5 advert where they showed how the screen naturally supported operation with just the thumb whilst held in hand. For many people it was perfect and then Apple jumped into the bigger screen market.

As an iPhone XS Max user I totally get it, my wife loves her iPhone XR but would trade it in tomorrow for an XR in an iPhone 5 size!
    baconstangGeorgeBMacmacguijust cruisinMike149hexocornchip
  • Reply 23 of 71
    ricmac said:
    Going from an SE to an 8 is a half inch taller and a third of an inch wider?  Did I figure that right?  A person should be able to adjust to that in a matter of hours.  My wife went from a 7 to an X and the difference is about the same as the difference between a 7 naked and a 7 with a standard case.  I'm thinking people are looking at screen size differences and imagining huge differences in size.
    I went from an iPhone 4 to my iPhone 7 without any problems. I couldn’t imagine going back to a smaller screen now. The XR/11 are where I’d like to go next. I believe I’d adapt, just as my wife did going from her iPhone 6 to her iPhone 8 Plus.
    chia
  • Reply 24 of 71
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    I think a lot of people would buy an iPhone that was the size of the original 2007 version but with updated specs. 
    edited October 2019 philboogiehexocornchip
  • Reply 25 of 71
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    bluefire1 said:
    I wouldn’t mind seeing an iPhone that was the size of the original 2007 version but with updated specs. 
    Both smaller size and price might be a great marketing opportunity, but I suspect one is what enables the other. According to the article Apple would be recycling a lot of previous design and already contracted components in order to reach the value pricing. 
  • Reply 26 of 71
    melgross said:

TomE said:
    My wife & others do not want a large iPhone.  They all want an SE2 form factor.  Easy to pocket and easy to hold.  On this - I think Apple has missed the importance.
    Nonsense! While that may be true for a small number of people, putting a phone in a pocketbook gives it a lot of room, even in a small pocketbook. The difference in phone size doesn’t matter. I see people with giant phones in their pockets all the time.

so e people have made up their minds they don’t want big phones, and that’s ok, but the reasons I often see presented are ridiculous.
    Reasons = One-handed use, palm balance, and comfort.  I use an iPhone 8 for work and an SE for home.  The difference is noticeable and can be appreciated in a side-by-side comparison.  My eyes are fine and I can see the smaller screen without much issue, and the beauty of the iPhone has always been the innovative "pinch-to-zoom" functionality that makes what is too small larger.
    baconstangjust cruisinleftoverbaconhexo
  • Reply 27 of 71
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    I like my SE. I like that it is small, fits in my pocket without bulging and light weight. I like that I can set my SE on its side and watch the screen with my hands free. I don't care that I can't do everything on my phone that I can do on my MacBook...I can do enough. Having said that, I will admit that I was surprised by the iPhone 11 Pro. While in a store, out of simple curiosity I placed my SE on top of a 11Pro and found that the size difference wasn't all that much. Of course the price difference was humongous. Nevertheless, all this may be OBE when Apple develops a foldable iPhone.
    atomic101just cruisinhexo
  • Reply 28 of 71
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    The Apple Watch is the wild card in the small form factor mix. The Apple Watch with LTE, and eventually 5G, may eventually fill the need for a small form factor communication device that can go anywhere while demanding very little of its wearer. You'll be able to wear it nearly 24 hours a day and be totally connected at all times. Larger phones and tablets will be the personal/family computers for non work related and non industrial use and will be enhanced and augmented by seamless connectivity and integrate with all your in-home screens including your 80-inch 8K televisions and your smart home automation and ambient computing devices. Portable computers and desktops will still have their place, but will be specialty devices geared towards specific applications and use cases.

So where does a small screen smartphone like the SE (or some folk's concept of an SE2) fit in the mix? It's a step up in usability from an Apple Watch, but it's really too small and too limited to be an effective personal computing device like a large phone or tablet. But it's also too large to wear on your body 24x7, unless you're into the Flavor Flav fashion aesthetic, so it is clearly a niche product. Just because it's niche doesn't mean Apple won't do it. The iPod Touch, which is a close cousin of the iPhone SE, is a niche product but Apple continues to support it at a subdued level. In fact, as an owner of an iPod Touch 6th Gen, I do marvel at its lightness and pocketability, but trying to do anything other than playing music or games on it is a chore. The screen is just too damn small.

I'd rather see Apple invest in its Watch and getting more macOS-like capability into the iPad Pro than investing it a nostalgic small form factor smartphone. Hey, maybe they can do all of the above, but why?
    tmayhexo
  • Reply 29 of 71
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    4" SE iPhone size is long gone. Move on. If Apple can take current iPhone 8 frame and somehow reduce the top and bottom bezels than that makes it completely new kind of iPhone for iPhone 6-7-8 replacement, Touch ID lives on, faster, cheaper.
  • Reply 30 of 71
    I think that rumor that it will be a bit smaller, not much then 8, is more probable. There was prior rumor of 5.4 device and it would make sense as 8 is nearly same size as XS. So smaller phone would be good companion to iPhone 11 non Pro. We woudl get two lines of iPhones with big and smaller size. Just small one will not get probably update sooner then in two or three years. There is still number of questions about HW and construction. Under screen Touch ID or normal one or notch or notchless....

Here is size comparison: https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/c1so6r/i_made_a_size_comparison_with_the_2020_iphone/

• Reply 31 of 71
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    ricmac said:
    Going from an SE to an 8 is a half inch taller and a third of an inch wider?  Did I figure that right?  A person should be able to adjust to that in a matter of hours.  My wife went from a 7 to an X and the difference is about the same as the difference between a 7 naked and a 7 with a standard case.  I'm thinking people are looking at screen size differences and imagining huge differences in size.
    Even one cm added width makes a lot of difference when holding. And the added height contributes to make the touch screen bigger than you can reach with one finger. 

This has nothing to do with looks and everything to do with usability. 
    baconstangatomic101just cruisinleftoverbaconhexo
  • Reply 32 of 71
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    sdw2001 said:
    All of that seems to make sense, especially as phones seem to get bigger.  An iPhone 8 is basically a small-ish phone these days.  I don't know that this is a rumor, though.  That is, unless his predictions are themselves based on previous unnamed sources?  
    It's a rumor to me, until there's actual substantiation, and not just Young MC telling us what's going to happen. His accuracy is better than most, but nowhere near 100%.
  • Reply 33 of 71
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    ricmac said:
    I went from an iPhone 4 to my iPhone 7 without any problems. I couldn’t imagine going back to a smaller screen now. The XR/11 are where I’d like to go next. I believe I’d adapt, just as my wife did going from her iPhone 6 to her iPhone 8 Plus.
    But if they INSTEAD used a no-bevel screen -- as in modern iPhones -- it would not have a small screen - just a small external size (which is what counts)
    avon b7just cruisinleftoverbacon
  • Reply 34 of 71

Mike149 said:
    It’s really not a SE 2 if it’s the size of the iPhone 8. Some people want a smaller form factor more than they want a budget iPhone. There’s already a XR and they’re still selling the iPhone 8. Apple just won’t listen to their customers.
    I tend to agree, but look at the Toyota RAV4 and any number of vehicles that have grown in size over the years. So I can see the same logic applied to the SE/SE2.

Except - I doubt Apple will call it the SE2, which brings us back to It’s really not a SE 2 if it’s the size of the iPhone 8. Maybe, if it was the size of the 8 but still had the slab sides of the SE, I might see it as an SE2. But I want an SE size phone with even a slightly larger display. Not gonna happen.

melgross said:
    Nonsense!
    I call bullshit on your nonsensical Nonsense! proclamation. It's as ridiculous as your notion that all women use 'pocketbooks' and all people are comfortable with a huge ass phone in their pocket. There may be some people who are making up reasons for their preference for an SE sized phone, but most of those reasons are real for a lot of us, for which you don't speak, try as you might.

I see people with giant phones in their pockets all the time.

And that means exactly what? Diddly squat. Those people are ok with giant ass phones in their pockets. I'm not. A lot of people aren't. By your narrow minded thinking, we all should be ok with it, based on– your observations? More bullshit. 
    just cruisinhexo
  • Reply 35 of 71

ricmac said:
    A person should be able to adjust to that in a matter of hours.  My wife went from a 7 to an X and the difference is about the same as the difference between a 7 naked and a 7 with a standard case.  I'm thinking people are looking at screen size differences and imagining huge differences in size.
    I'm thinking this is another case of somebody thinking they can decide what's ok for other people, with a some kind of extrapolation based on their personal biases. If it's good enough for my wife, it's good enough for everybody else. Filed under Bullshit Logic. Just be cause a person can tolerate a larger phone doesn't mean they like it and wouldn't prefer a smaller one. People aren't imagining anything. A measured size is one thing on paper; it means nothing about how a phone feels in the hand or a pocket of the owner, not anybody else.
    atomic101just cruisinleftoverbaconhexo
  • Reply 36 of 71
    Hank2.0 said:
    I like my SE. I like that it is small, fits in my pocket without bulging and light weight. I like that I can set my SE on its side and watch the screen with my hands free. I don't care that I can't do everything on my phone that I can do on my MacBook...I can do enough. Having said that, I will admit that I was surprised by the iPhone 11 Pro. While in a store, out of simple curiosity I placed my SE on top of a 11Pro and found that the size difference wasn't all that much. Of course the price difference was humongous. Nevertheless, all this may be OBE when Apple develops a foldable iPhone.
    I agree with you, 99.5%. I put my SE in it's Incipio case on top of an 8 and then the 11Pro and it didn't seem much bigger then either. Until I picked them up. Until I put them in my pocket. The security lanyards didn't figure into my comfort. This was not a matter of 'getting used to it'. They just didn't fit well at all. Too big. Oh, and that's without a case. So I can adapt. By trousers with bigger pockets, use the phone naked (the phone, not me). There's still the fact that I don't like the feel of the phone in my hand. I use a mini 5 iPad several hours a day, hand held. It's a different use case, I need the real estate, so it works for me. But a slab of a phone?

If the 8 or the 11Pro were duty phones issued to me, I'd have to make do. I'd probably have to carry either in a shirt pocket, something I wouldn't be happy about. In civilian clothes, neither would be carried at all. I like the 11P's screen and features, but not enough change my personal life to adapt.

By some standards, the 11Pro isn't a slab. But by my standards, it is. The SE fits. For my use, my opinion and preferences are the only ones that count. I don't have the arrogance to assume they need apply to everyone else.
    just cruisinmuthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMacbonobobhexo
  • Reply 37 of 71
    There's another reason to go a smaller and simpler iPhone. The major carriers, like Verizon, are letting their wire lines atrophy, and many households have been forced to switch to wireless. Additionally, it's obvious that many home/condo owners are switching to wireless and ditching the POTS  for hand-held wireless phones.   (Have you watched the size of the phone books diminish?)

To maintain a needed communications capability, one should not to be forced into a " Swiss Army Knife" type of iPhone that really should be marketed as an "iCamera." What's needed is an iPhone that's primarily a phone, with other uses secondary.   The ability to communicate should be the principal design criteria, with the capability to synch with other devices. 

(Written from bitter experience)

atomic101
  • Reply 38 of 71
    MgwlMgwl Posts: 11member
    I prefer the iPhone 5 form factor. I have an iPhone 7 (company) phone sitting on the shelf, using the company SIM in a good old iPhone 5S instead. The 7 rarely leaves the shelf, but has got a private SIM and is connected to my Apple Watch for private calls and messaging.

If the watch could hook up to an iPad with dual voice capability SIM’s, I think that would have done it for me, but I guess a new SE with the old-school form factor would suffice.

I don’t really see why anyone should want to carry around lots of fragmented screen estate; 6,5 inch iPhone in their pants, 12,9 inch iPad in their bag. What’s next; slapping an iPhone 6 on their wrists, calling it an Apple Watch series 6?!
    just cruisin
  • Reply 39 of 71
    Grayeagle said:
    There's another reason to go a smaller and simpler iPhone. The major carriers, like Verizon, are letting their wire lines atrophy, and many households have been forced to switch to wireless. Additionally, it's obvious that many home/condo owners are switching to wireless and ditching the POTS  for hand-held wireless phones.   (Have you watched the size of the phone books diminish?)

To maintain a needed communications capability, one should not to be forced into a " Swiss Army Knife" type of iPhone that really should be marketed as an "iCamera." What's needed is an iPhone that's primarily a phone, with other uses secondary.   The ability to communicate should be the principal design criteria, with the capability to synch with other devices. 

(Written from bitter experience)

That's an interesting observation.  When the iPhone first came out, the intent was to provide additional functionality to the concept of a pocket "voice" phone.  Over the years this shifted more towards being an overall internet communication device, and then a content consumption device, where voice calls took a backseat.  In recent years, and in the absence of any substantial ways to evolve the handheld concept further, we've shifted the priorities to making the "phone" a pseudo-replacement for a dedicated/professional camera.  It's interesting how the biggest improvement in smartphone technology in recent years has primarily been in the camera, with Apple now approaching a brute force solution by adding two, and now 3 cameras on the back.  Are we reaching a point where it might be logical to rename "smart-phones" to "smart-cameras"? I'm half joking, but half serious.
    GrayeagleGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 40 of 71
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    I think if they go with the iPhone 8 form factor it shouldn't be called SE2, but maybe iPhone 9 since they skipped that number. Or perhaps 8s or 8SE. If they stay with the iPhone 5 form (which a couple of family members I know would prefer) then maybe use SE2.
    GeorgeBMacMike149hexo