Editorial: Apple's removal of 3D Touch is a backwards step for 'Pro' iPhones

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    dysamoria said:
    Also: why does it take 3 - 6 taps on the comments link on articles for it to actually work?
    They haven't updated the AI app in over a year. It is riddled with bugs. Strange for a tech blog that constantly reviews other apps explaining what works and what doesn't work and their own app has glaring problems...
    edited October 2019 SpamSandwichunbeliever2watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 60
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    mobird said:
    dysamoria said:
    Also: why does it take 3 - 6 taps on the comments link on articles for it to actually work?
    They haven't updated the AI app in over a year. It is riddled with bugs. Strange for a tech blog that constantly reviews other apps explaining what works and what doesn't work and their own app has glaring problems...
    Haha. Like no dark mode, for one. 
    mobirdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 60
    rwes said:
    PujiMak said:
    I’m quite disappointed when updating iOS13 on my iPhone XS.. 3D Touch was totally scrap. For a phone which has 3D Touch capability, the software turned off this feature. Like WTF. Honestly this really annoying.. even my colleagues tend to agree with me. 

Yes 3D Touch wasn’t really popular for the masses. But Power Users aka Pro Users.. really utilise this. 

So for this, I’m quite sad about it. 
    Its kinda sad the new iOS removes significant 3D Touch functionality from iPhone devices which have been sold with this feature advertised. I'd really love to downgrade back to iOS 12 if I had done a backup previously ^^'
    Yeah, I thought maybe I was just doing something wrong initially, but then began to realize it was functionality changed/removed.
    I’m what? 3D Touch is still there on ios13 and The iPhone X - it’s removed from the XS?
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 60
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    rwes said:
    PujiMak said:
    I’m quite disappointed when updating iOS13 on my iPhone XS.. 3D Touch was totally scrap. For a phone which has 3D Touch capability, the software turned off this feature. Like WTF. Honestly this really annoying.. even my colleagues tend to agree with me. 

Yes 3D Touch wasn’t really popular for the masses. But Power Users aka Pro Users.. really utilise this. 

So for this, I’m quite sad about it. 
    Its kinda sad the new iOS removes significant 3D Touch functionality from iPhone devices which have been sold with this feature advertised. I'd really love to downgrade back to iOS 12 if I had done a backup previously ^^'
    Yeah, I thought maybe I was just doing something wrong initially, but then began to realize it was functionality changed/removed.
    I’m what? 3D Touch is still there on ios13 and The iPhone X - it’s removed from the XS?
    I think it behaves different in some places. Peek/Pop still works in Mail, but not Messages where I think(?) it did previously.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 60
    Disagree. I would rather have a consistent experience across all devices, and that's also much better for the average user who doesn't care to understand all of this. If Apple isn't going to put 3D Touch on all their devices, it's best that they've ditched it in favor of Haptic Touch.
    This has me wondering if they'll bring the Taptic Engine to iPad at any point. Not sure if it's less effective in a larger form factor, but would love them to add it if it can work.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 60
    xmhillxxmhillx Posts: 112member
    A-freakin-men. I feel like ppl who don’t like or use 3D Touch never knew how to even use it. I can’t fathom someone knowing how it works like I do and saying “nope, it’s useless and I wouldn’t notice it’s gone or miss it.” 

I think you missed a giant missing feature, which was highlighting text and cancelling the highlight. With 3D Touch you press into the screen more and press less to select and deselect all while using on thumb. Typing and text editing is simple with one hand. Without 3D Touch, you have to use two hands to start highlighting text. Right?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 60
    Unfortunately, as those who have used 3D Touch for a long time can attest, Haptic Touch simply isn't a good enough replacement for 3D Touch.“

That’s projecting a personal opinion on others. This is an editorial / opinion article, not the results of a survey. 

As someone who liked 3D Touch, I actually think haptic touch is a very good replacement. I’ve actually come to prefer it. 

Switching between iPhone and iPad and having to adjust how I interact with them because one had 3D Touch and one didn’t was maddening for me. 

Consistency in this case is an improvement for me, and the trade offs associated with losing 3D Touch are worth it. 

For a start, the ‘long press’, whilst ever so slightly longer than 3D Touch required, is actually not very long at all. It’s barely a second, and it works the same across my devices. 

I also know exactly what is going to happen when I “long” press now. Whereas before I never knew whether the menu option I wanted was hiding behind a long press or 3D Touch press, and the choices made by the UX designers in this regard were not obvious. I often had to try both to see what they offered up, which made the experience slower on the whole. 

As for things like cursor movement, Haptic touch on the space bar is no less discoverable than 3D Touch on the keyboard area. There’s a general issue with Apple’s UX and discoverability, with Apple seemingly taking delight in hiding things off screen and behind non-obvious interactions, and cursor movement isn’t a unique issue here. 

At risk of coming across as “you’re holding it wrong”... if you’re repeatedly turning on the flashlight when removing the phone from your pocket then it might be better to pull the phone out by holding its sides? That’s also a safer way to hold it, as it’s less likely to get dropped. 
    docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 60
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    crowley said:
    My iPhone X still seems to have 3D Touch in iOS 13, and the options to turn it on and off are still there in Accessibility settings?
    It’s enabled, but does not always work the same way it did. I used it a lot in Safari, but Safari no longer acts the same way, at least not for me. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 60
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Did not use it, do not miss it.

My guess is that Apple looked at how few people actually used it and deleted it.

• Reply 50 of 60
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    omasou said:
    I absolutely hated, hated 3D Touch. I took way too much effort to apply the correct pressure to invoke the correct function, e.g. selecting text. So my experience has been the exact opposite of the positive points used as examples in the article.  Guess that's what makes us each unique ;)

Though I do prefer the long press for rearranging app icons vs. the display of a context menu. I mean when does anyone ever rename an icon, a group yes but I only do that when I create a group and the normal method of opening it and then editing the caption is fine. Apple we don't need it in a context menu and we don't need a done button either.

The only feature that I truly liked and ever used was to position the cursor while editing text vs. trying to tap in a small textbox with my finger and hope the cursor would land where I needed it to. So thank you for the article b/c I didn't know about pressing over the space bar. Works great.
    Was coming to post pretty much the same thing but you did it better.  3D Touch was a finicky and inconsistent mess - glad to see it gone.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 51 of 60
    jbolyjboly Posts: 5member
    I think the comments are overstating this change by a lot. I have owned every model with 3D Touch. The jump to Haptic Touch on the new iPhone 11 Pro is not that big of a deal.  The only thing that I am quickly getting use to is having to use the spacebar to move the cursor instead of anywhere on the keyboard. But in iOS 13, it's much easier to move the cursor anyway.  3D Touch had it's own issues with pressure sensitivity.  I've not had any problems with touch misfirings, the flashlight turning on accidentally, etc.  

Bottom line for Apple and myself as well, this change will please a lot more people because the battery is larger and now Haptic Touch can be implemented across the entire iOS/ iPadOS line.  In this way it can actually become useful to developers who can build universal apps to support long touch.  

It might have been somewhat cost effective to put 3D touch in an iPhone screen but possibly cost prohibitive in an iPad Pro.  Now they don't have to worry about that and can focus on the software instead.   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 60
    xmhillx said:

I think you missed a giant missing feature, which was highlighting text and cancelling the highlight. With 3D Touch you press into the screen more and press less to select and deselect all while using on thumb. Typing and text editing is simple with one hand. Without 3D Touch, you have to use two hands to start highlighting text. Right?
    No, it still works that way. 
    netmage
  • Reply 53 of 60
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Imagine all the battery life drained from accidental flashlight and camera presses.

3D Touch was multi-touch 2.0. As innovative as the first iPhone....

Maybe Apple is working on 3D Touch 2/multi touch 3.0.
  • Reply 54 of 60
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Disagree. I would rather have a consistent experience across all devices, and that's also much better for the average user who doesn't care to understand all of this. If Apple isn't going to put 3D Touch on all their devices, it's best that they've ditched it in favor of Haptic Touch.

But they could have added 3D Touch to all devices. Your comment is null.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member

But they could have added 3D Touch to all devices. Your comment is null.
    They do have technical difficulties to put 3D Touch into the XR.
  • Reply 56 of 60
    3D Touch was a complete waste of time. More than half of the apps didn’t support it so pressing on the screen to guess which ones had it, only to find out it did nothing, was a complete waste of time.  The author is whining over little petty things.  
  • Reply 57 of 60
    I discovered that 3D Touch is still present in the public beta of iOS 13.2 and the general version of iOS 13.1.2. Probably an overlooked bug but it’s cool that at least something still remains. In Safari, if you look at all your open pages, you can put pressure to see a preview of the website to peek and then full pressure to pop the page into full screen. Hopefully Apple keeps this forever. 
  • Reply 58 of 60
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    Can anyone complaining about iOS 13 removing 3D Touch list any place.it has stopped working that long press also doesn’t work for, besides the keyboard trackpad mode?

Loss of the trackpad mode doesn't bother me because the general pickup cursor and move it available now works so well. 

On my iPhone X I haven't noticed any other 3D Touch regressions, though I don't use it much. Ironically the move of Updates in the App Store has me using the context menu for that all the time. 
  • Reply 59 of 60
    tylersdad said:
    netrox said:
    I agree. I don't really like the Haptic Touch. 3D Touch was way much better and faster. But given the fact that it added substantial cost to iPhone and not many people took advantage of 3D, it just no longer make sense to keep supporting it.
    Did they lower the cost of the phone when they removed Touch 3d?
    Did they refund those who already paid for it?
  • Reply 60 of 60
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    xmhillx said:
    A-freakin-men. I feel like ppl who don’t like or use 3D Touch never knew how to even use it. I can’t fathom someone knowing how it works like I do and saying “nope, it’s useless and I wouldn’t notice it’s gone or miss it.” 

No, a long press with do. Doesn’t even have to be that long.