Apple production 'The Banker' to close AFI Fest in November

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2019
"The Banker", starring Samuel L. Jackson and Anthony Mackie, is set to close out Hollywood's American Film Institute Festival on November 21.

Image Credit: Apple
Image Credit: Apple

"The Banker" follows two African American entrepreneurs working to overcome the racial limitations of the 1950s. Two business men, played by Jackson and Mackie quietly try to provide housing loans to the African American community in Jim Crow Texas.

The movie is based off of the true story of two African American businessmen who hired a working-class white man to pretend to be the head of their business empire. At the same time, the pair posed as a janitor and chauffeur.

"'The Banker' joins a remarkable group of films being released this year that openly confront centuries of racism and injustice in our country, while celebrating the brave individuals whose activism has created real change," said AFI Festival director Michael Lumpkin, The Hollywood Reporter reports.

The film was written by Brad Kane, who has written episodes for TV shows such as "Fringe" and "Black Sails." It also stars Nicholas Hoult, widely known for his role as Nux in "Mad Max: Fury Road."

Apple has recently stated that the film will get a theatrical release on December 6, before debuting on Apple TV+ some time in January. The release at the AFI festival qualifies it for 2019 awards.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    This actually sounds interesting, love some SLJ and love a good “based on a true story” type movies/show. 
    lolliverbadmonk
  • Reply 2 of 6
    LukeCageLukeCage Posts: 166member
    This actually sounds interesting, love some SLJ and love a good “based on a true story” type movies/show. 

I agree this sounds interesting to me as well, looking forward to it. 
    lolliverbadmonk
  • Reply 3 of 6
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Sounds great. Just hope Apple doesn't push the same political agendas.

White men can also have struggles.

P.S. I'm not Caucasian if someone replies reactionary.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I do not see if mentioned anywhere on the article, so just wanted to mention that the director is George Nolfi, who made is directorial debut with The Adjustment Beureau.
  • Reply 5 of 6

The White Man's struggle has been beautifully captured by Peter Jackson in The Lord of the Rings trilogy!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member

What is your problem? This movie is about a black man’s struggles, so saying “But whites have problems too!” is completely irrelevant. It’s not pushing politics to cover someone other than straight white males. 

You sound like a snowflake worried about melting. 
    edited October 2019