Mario Kart Tour notches estimated 90M downloads in first week of availability

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2019
"Mario Kart Tour" clocked an estimated 90 million downloads in the week following its debut, according to a report released Wednesday, making the racing game Nintendo's fastest moving mobile launch ever.

Mario Kart Tour

As noted by app analytics firm Sensor Tower, "Mario Kart Tour's" launch week numbers put it leagues ahead of past Nintendo debuts. The title's 90 million downloads are split between Android and iOS, which brought in 53.5 million and 36.5 million downloads, respectively.

By comparison, Nintendo's previous top performer "Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp" managed 14.3 million downloads in its first week, while "Super Mario Run" hit just under 13 million downloads over the same period, according to Sensor Tower. The latter figure is up for interpretation, however, as Nintendo said "Super Mario Run" was downloaded 40 million times in four days as an iOS exclusive.

U.S. customers exhibited high levels of interest in the driving game with 13.2 million downloads, followed by 10.7 million for Brazil and 5.8 million for Mexico, Sensor Tower estimates.

Despite a healthy lead in overall downloads, "Mario Kart Tour" is Nintendo's third-largest game in terms of launch week revenue with an estimated $12.7 million spent on unlocking "freemium" content. By contrast, players of the free-to-play "Fire Emblem Heroes" and free-to-try "Super Mario Run" doled out a respective $28.2 million and $16.1 million over the same one-week period.

Typical of most cross-platform apps, iOS accounted for a majority of first week revenue with $9.6 million, or 75.5%, while Android raked in $3.1 million, or 24.5%, Sensor Tower said. The U.S. led spending with $5.8 million, followed by Japan's $4 million and France's $752,000.

"Mario Kart Tour" was announced in January 2018 and launched last week after multiple delays. AppleInsider found the game to be less than impressive, with poor driving mechanics, questionable AI implementation and an overabundance of microtransactions putting a stain on the distinguished franchise.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Appears that no-one took any notice of AI's review 😂
    lkruppsdw2001Oferargonaut
  • Reply 2 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    hentaiboy said:
    Appears that no-one took any notice of AI's review ߘ⦬t;/div>
    A review is just one individual’s opinion. Like movie reviews the public often disagrees and rejects what a reviewer thinks. F@CK ‘em, especially those YouTube assholes.
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    lkrupp said:
    hentaiboy said:
    A review is just one individual’s opinion. Like movie reviews the public often disagrees and rejects what a reviewer thinks. F@CK ‘em, especially those YouTube assholes.
    The review was devastating. I’m not going to get it as a result. It is a complete fraud of an app.  
    Oferargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    sdw2001 said:
    lkrupp said:
    hentaiboy said:
    The review was devastating. I’m not going to get it as a result. It is a complete fraud of an app.  
    I agree that the game is gatcha trash. This is coming from a huge Nintendo and Mario fan. But, the game is free, and it's MarioKart, so expected to get a shit ton of downloads. 
    Ofercy_starkmanargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    yup of course it has

drifting on the coat tails of one of the world’s best known video game brands. all we can hope is that round the next corner is a giant pile of its own hubris to crash into.

i say hope, out of total respect for Nintendo.

Unfortunately for all of us at least once in our lives we need a wake up call to when we have decided to be dicks.

not sure if other AI readers feel this way, but i cannot understand how gambling is now globally accepted for children, little children and how advertising gambling games in other games (often after each turn) to little children is cool.

none of the perpetrators are even having to defend themselves (this is way beyond loot boxes). Apple does not even give a shit and they would ban a game where you slap world leaders - but slot machines for 5yr olds does not raise an eyebrow.

i have never even read an article about the pandemic, not on any tech site. how is every one cool with this.

(edit - emoji fail)
    edited October 2019 argonautphilboogie
  • Reply 6 of 10
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    How many of the 90 Million were immediately uninstalled once it required a Nintendo Account?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    NY1822 said:
    How many of the 90 Million were immediately uninstalled once it required a Nintendo Account?
    I'd guess not that many.  It's an easy bet that a ton of them already have Nintendo accounts.  It is as it has always been.  The vocal minority decries the evils of IAP cash grabs while the silent majority are more than content to be nickle and dimed to infinity and beyond.  Nintendo got that message loud and clear with their initial mobile apps.  They got disappointing ROI from their pay once app and satisfactory ROI from their freemium apps.  Nintendo is probably sticking with freemium on mobile.  Which for them, it's probably a bonus.  It sort of inadvertently says to customers, "if you wan't REAL Nintendo... it's waiting for you on our consoles"
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I play it, and have been since launch. I already have a Nintendo account for my Switch so that doesn’t matter. With as many accounts that people have for Instagram, WhatsApp, Gmail, Yahoo.mail, and everything else under the sun you’d think that the readers here on AI that want to complain about that live under a rock and never log into anything ever.

As to micro transactions it’s relatively the same as every other game released in the past 8 years. You don’t have to buy anything you never needed to, I personally hate micro transactions. At least it’s not in your face like it is with games like Toon Blast or what the Plants vs. Zombies franchise turned into.  

The game will get better with constructive feedback as with most other things. Before people poopoo the game try it and see what you think.  Obviously this won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but really what in the world is?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    NY1822 said:
    I'd guess not that many.  It's an easy bet that a ton of them already have Nintendo accounts.  It is as it has always been.  The vocal minority decries the evils of IAP cash grabs while the silent majority are more than content to be nickle and dimed to infinity and beyond.  Nintendo got that message loud and clear with their initial mobile apps.  They got disappointing ROI from their pay once app and satisfactory ROI from their freemium apps.  Nintendo is probably sticking with freemium on mobile.  Which for them, it's probably a bonus.  It sort of inadvertently says to customers, "if you wan't REAL Nintendo... it's waiting for you on our consoles"

But why the f*** can't we get these on Apple TV???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!