Apple increases orders for iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
Apple has reportedly increased the production of the iPhone 11 range by 8 million units year-over-year after heightened demand, according to sources familiar with the situation.

The higher demand may be attributed to the lower-than-average cost of the iPhone 11 line, which has brought in budget-conscious buyers. Apple's CEO Tim Cook has previously acknowledged that price is a factor, especially in countries like Japan and China.

The new iPhone 11 starting price is $699, compared to the 2018 iPhone XR's starting price of $749. A rise in demand because of the lower starting price could counter the 2018 drop in iPhone sales, forcing the increase in orders.

"This autumn is so far much busier than we expected," a source told Nikkei Asian Review. "After the increase, prepared production volume for the iPhone 11 series will be higher compared to last year."

A source has indicated the increase in orders will be weighted more toward the cheapest iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro models. Apple has also slightly reduced orders year-over-year versus the iPhone XS Max for the more expensive iPhone 11 Pro Max, which starts at $1,099.

Suppliers, however, would prefer if the company were to err on the conservative side, worrying that the higher level of orders might be unsustainable.

"Demand is good for now. But we have to be careful not to be too optimistic," an executive-level source said, "I hope that this year's peak season lasts longer than last year."

Yasuo Nakane, head of research at Mizuho Securities, revised his 2019 iPhone production estimates to 194 million, up from the 178 million he'd earlier assumed. Analysts at Cowen and JP Morgan have also revised their estimates.

The Nikkei Asian Review has a good track record on supply chain moves, such as this increase in order volume. It is not as accurate on product specifics, however.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    A lot of people have a 5s or 6 and can't upgrade to iOS13 - there are still a ton of these people walking around. The tech-savvy of them who can't afford a phone every two years will wait for next year's 5G phone. The less-tech-savvy (grandparents, etc) will be in the market as their 5y/o phones break, batteries wear out, etc. My guess is that Apple will make a an especially-big Christmas-season push for these less-tech-savvy folks: we'll see it in marketing toward older people, grandparents sending video-messages to kids, etc. Apple will bank these sales this year, knowing that next year's 5G iPhone sales for early adopters and tech-savvy folks will be huge.

And, in any event, even after the Sept2020 launch next year the iPhone 11 isn't going anywhere.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    A lot of people have a 5s or 6 and can't upgrade to iOS13 - there are still a ton of these people walking around. The tech-savvy of them who can't afford a phone every two years will wait for next year's 5G phone. The less-tech-savvy (grandparents, etc) will be in the market as their 5y/o phones break, batteries wear out, etc. My guess is that Apple will make a an especially-big Christmas-season push for these less-tech-savvy folks: we'll see it in marketing toward older people, grandparents sending video-messages to kids, etc. Apple will bank these sales this year, knowing that next year's 5G iPhone sales for early adopters and tech-savvy folks will be huge.

And, in any event, even after the Sept2020 launch next year the iPhone 11 isn't going anywhere.
    So if you don't wait for 5G and are "old" you aren't tech savvy?  Hahaha  You folks with this 5G shit really kill me.

edited October 2019 netmagedoctwelvefastasleepAppleExposedRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17

Can I call this guy and idiot or is it against the rules? Could someone please let me know.

Being tech savvy is a mindset, it is not an age delimiter. I'm in my early 30's and I had tons of friends who are clueless about technology and literally just believe everything they hear or told. Which makes them even more clueless and embarrassing when they open their mouth.

edited October 2019 netmagefastasleepAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    ricmacricmac Posts: 65member

THIS "less tech savvy grandparent" bought one of the first Mac's produced.  I proudly have one of the original signed Mac's sitting on a bookshelf in my office.  I've owned almost all Apple products offered to the public since 1984, including the Newton.  I'm an original Apple fanboy!  I'm so "less tech savvy" that I know 5G won't be viable for another three or four years.  I live in one of the five largest U.S. cities and 5G won't be worth much here until at least 2021.  I'll match my tech experience against yours any day of the year idiot!
    ArloTimetravelernetmagefastasleepAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    I think there has been some "pre-ponement" of buying in anticipation of the Oct 15 tariffs (which again may go up further in December). For example, two people in my family, who might have normally waited for Christmas, decided to get theirs early.

And, both of them sprung for the 11
    philboogiemuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    Can I call this guy and idiot or is it against the rules? Could someone please let me know.

Being tech savvy is a mindset, it is not an age delimiter. I'm in my early 30's and I had tons of friends who are clueless about technology and literally just believe everything they hear or told. Which makes them even more clueless and embarrassing when they open their mouth.

Amen! I had a 75 year old father who loved (and used) Spotify and asked for (and got) Apple AirPods for Father's Day. Also, he could pick off guys in Sniper Elite 3 for the Xbox like nobody's business. Shame he's gone. He would have bought that iPhone 11 Pro for the 3 lens in a heartbeat (Dad was also an amateur photog).

People who make age bias statements like that are idiots.
    edited October 2019 macseekernetmageAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    I took the 'grandparents etc' to be a simple generalisation with no ill will.

As a generalisation, I think most people will agree that it's a valid statement. There are going to be exceptions but grandparents are less likely to be tech savvy (as a group), than later generations who have grown up with the technology
    philboogiemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 17
    avon b7 said:

As a generalisation, I think most people will agree that it's a valid statement. There are going to be exceptions but grandparents are less likely to be tech savvy (as a group), than later generations who have grown up with the technology
    Granted. I take it is a stupid generalizations. I think individuals may need to be more critical thinkers. 

Who do you guys think came up with technology. The guys my age or the individuals with the all experience. 

edited October 2019 netmageAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The camera system in my 11 Pro is simply amazing. I took a photo in a darkened room last evening to see how good was the Night Mode and it knocked my socks off. Absolutely stunning quality. Can’t wait to see what Deep Fusion does.
    edited October 2019 ArloTimetravelerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    ricmac said:

THIS "less tech savvy grandparent" bought one of the first Mac's produced.  I proudly have one of the original signed Mac's sitting on a bookshelf in my office.  I've owned almost all Apple products offered to the public since 1984, including the Newton.  I'm an original Apple fanboy!  I'm so "less tech savvy" that I know 5G won't be viable for another three or four years.  I live in one of the five largest U.S. cities and 5G won't be worth much here until at least 2021.  I'll match my tech experience against yours any day of the year idiot!
    Damn, the gloves are off now. My money is on you, Mr. Sensitive. 
    Seriously though, why does EVERY single thread on here have to turn into a playground brawl? 
    edited October 2019 ArloTimetraveler
  • Reply 11 of 17
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    Japhey said:

Seriously though, why does EVERY single thread on here have to turn into a playground brawl? 
    Perhaps because there's no way to downvote or block those that troll, don't contribute, are obviously wrong or just shouldn't post on a tech forum?

While not a grandfather, I'm more tech savvy than most (on the Internet) and certainly know that 5G is only going to be a purchase driver for those who aren't tech savvy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    jcs2305 said:

So if you don't wait for 5G and are "old" you aren't tech savvy?  Hahaha  You folks with this 5G shit really kill me.

But isn't he right? By September 2020 5G will be ubiquitous and the iPhone 11 I just bought with my AARP membership will only be useful for giving myself a colonoscopy, right?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 13 of 17
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    5G rolls out in my country in 2 months’ time. I’d have to be mad to pony up $1350 for a new 4G phone.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 14 of 17
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Not sure why these are selling so well. I wonder if they'll break iPhone X or even iPhone 6 records?

Ummm... Wouldn't the less tech savvy actually go for 5G? Tech savvy folks know it's not ready and a gimmick like "HDTV" was in 2005.

AI usually allows you to call idiots "idiots".

avon b7 said:

Funny how you conveniently left out his 5G argument which everyone bashed him for. Something you're always a proponent of and claiming Apple needs because Huawei.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member

avon b7 said:

Funny how you conveniently left out his 5G argument which everyone bashed him for. Something you're always a proponent of and claiming Apple needs because Huawei.
    Re-read the thread and count the 'everyones'.

I commented on the part I considered more people were taking issue with. It's my opinion. Nothing else.

My stance on Apple and not having 5G is very clear. It's also my opinion. Which part didn't you get?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 17
    This reminds me of McRumors, which I left just because people would argue about anything. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This reminds me of McRumors, which I left just because people would argue about anything. 
    Given enough time, people will argue over anything.
    watto_cobra