2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    This is what a global corporation has to deal with. How can Cook and company espouse all their liberal twaddle here in the U.S. but then turn around and kowtow to a totalitarian dictatorship in China? It’s the money, pure and simple. Apple and a plethora of American companies’ financial lives are completely dependent on China. Apple, who presents itself as a poster boy for peace, love, tolerance, diversity... and unicorns, turns out to be the biggest hypocrite on the planet when it comes to keeping the money flowing. Apple removed the app over “legality concerns” my old, stinky ass. 

I wonder what Apple would do if an app like this one were developed for the U.S.? Would Apple refuse to approve it or would they give the government their middle finger and let it in the App Store? 
    OK...  
    If you truly believe what you said, then flip the situation:   Suppose China provided a means by which immigrants could monitor the thugs of ICE.   You would be screaming bloody murder and Trump would be having hissy fits.   So, let's not be accusing anybody of hypocrisy.
    You believe Apple would remove it from the North American store simply because the US government didn't like it? Personally I think it more likely for Apple to use the occasion as a PR opportunity to "promote their values". 
    As they should, of course. But you. missed the point George stated -- conservatives like Krupp or Trump would be frothing at the mouth about ICE-avoiding apps. So the point was, they're hypocrites to criticize Apple for being a hypocrite.
    Huh? I'm confused... So Tim Cook, Apple, LKrupp and Trump are all hypocrites in your world then? 

You're more than welcome to answer the same question I posed to George Mac. If the type of app Krupp mentioned were in the North American store for tracking police and other official activity so that common citizen's might avoid active accident or crime scenes, and some arm of the US government demanded it be removed would Apple do so or instead treat it as an opportunity to espouse "Values"... In your opinion of course.

A lot of apps could be used for perceived "bad things" in addition to good ones. Examples might be a "lost item" feature should Apple offer one. It could probably be used for spying on a spouse or partner or a child's travels and current location too, so should Apple avoid creating one?

Now with all that said I don't think it's being factually claimed that the Chinese demanded the HongKong app be removed. It could be Apple being proactive and not wanting to chance displeasing the Chinese Government, or even a simple mistake made by some lower level Apple employee that will be reversed today.
    Nice work sliding Tim Cook in with Trump & Company.   Excellent spin! 

If you have a valid point to make, you should make it -- rather than spinning and misquoting what others have said.
    You're doing a lot of dancing, but not actually answering anything. Where did I misquote you, or misstate what StangeDays said (they're hypocrites to criticize Apple for being a hypocrite).  Perhaps you misread one of LKrupps posts as one of mine?  

So Question 2  even if you have no intention of answering the first: Why did you bring the US President into the discussion, was it to serve as a distraction or did Mr. Trump comment on Apple's choice and we all missed what he said? Heck I thought it was LKrupp posting his own personal opinion.

I think your attempt to twist this instead into "us vs. them" in a political sense is what opens you up to a question of how Apple would address the two situations if/when they occur. You seem fond of comparisons. It does not seem to me as tho Apple is consistent with "values" and when they choose to promote them, As a result there are some who believe Apple (based on actions not words) would treat one differently than the other. That would imply some of their choices are as much or more for advantageous marketing as "commitment to core values". Yes figure you'll ignore this one too and don't really expect a direct answer, but you asked me to state my point so I have.

Yeah I know I know, Apple respects the law (!?) everywhere they *do business. That leaves out two important words: *Choose to. Yes it's a choice.

But again we don't know for certain why there's the case of the missing app to begin with. Pressure, demand, proactive, and error are all still in play. 
    You have misquoted me multiple times.   If you did that intentionally, then shame on you.   If you did it unintentionally, then learn how to read.  Either way, there is no point in debating you when you start off on that wrong foot.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    lkrupp said:
    This is what a global corporation has to deal with. How can Cook and company espouse all their liberal twaddle here in the U.S. but then turn around and kowtow to a totalitarian dictatorship in China? It’s the money, pure and simple. Apple and a plethora of American companies’ financial lives are completely dependent on China. Apple, who presents itself as a poster boy for peace, love, tolerance, diversity... and unicorns, turns out to be the biggest hypocrite on the planet when it comes to keeping the money flowing. Apple removed the app over “legality concerns” my old, stinky ass. 

I wonder what Apple would do if an app like this one were developed for the U.S.? Would Apple refuse to approve it or would they give the government their middle finger and let it in the App Store? 

Is it so difficult to under that:

1. Apple is a Company and is obligated to make money. Why should a company not do that?

2. Apple follows the laws of the land wherever it is. If in China, it will do what the Chinese Govt. tells it to do. If it is in the US, it will follow the US laws and abide by the constitution of the US, which gives rights for Apple to fight for its principles.

There is no hypocrisy here. The fact that Apple operates in places where it has to swallow its values (like Saudi Arabia and their anti-Gay stance) so that it can make as much money as possible for the shareholders (who are American) shows that Apple is mature enough to not act like a spoilt brat and take its toys home just because the other entity does not agree with it.

• Reply 23 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:

OK...  
    If you truly believe what you said, then flip the situation:   Suppose China provided a means by which immigrants could monitor the thugs of ICE.   You would be screaming bloody murder and Trump would be having hissy fits.   So, let's not be accusing anybody of hypocrisy.
    You believe Apple would remove it from the North American store simply because the US government didn't like it? Personally I think it more likely for Apple to use the occasion as a PR opportunity to "promote their values". 
    As they should, of course. But you. missed the point George stated -- conservatives like Krupp or Trump would be frothing at the mouth about ICE-avoiding apps. So the point was, they're hypocrites to criticize Apple for being a hypocrite.
    Huh? I'm confused... So Tim Cook, Apple, LKrupp and Trump are all hypocrites in your world then? 

You're more than welcome to answer the same question I posed to George Mac. If the type of app Krupp mentioned were in the North American store for tracking police and other official activity so that common citizen's might avoid active accident or crime scenes, and some arm of the US government demanded it be removed would Apple do so or instead treat it as an opportunity to espouse "Values"... In your opinion of course.

A lot of apps could be used for perceived "bad things" in addition to good ones. Examples might be a "lost item" feature should Apple offer one. It could probably be used for spying on a spouse or partner or a child's travels and current location too, so should Apple avoid creating one?

Now with all that said I don't think it's being factually claimed that the Chinese demanded the HongKong app be removed. It could be Apple being proactive and not wanting to chance displeasing the Chinese Government, or even a simple mistake made by some lower level Apple employee that will be reversed today.

If you have a valid point to make, you should make it -- rather than spinning and misquoting what others have said.
    You're doing a lot of dancing, but not actually answering anything. Where did I misquote you, or misstate what StangeDays said (they're hypocrites to criticize Apple for being a hypocrite).  Perhaps you misread one of LKrupps posts as one of mine?  

So Question 2  even if you have no intention of answering the first: Why did you bring the US President into the discussion, was it to serve as a distraction or did Mr. Trump comment on Apple's choice and we all missed what he said? Heck I thought it was LKrupp posting his own personal opinion.

I think your attempt to twist this instead into "us vs. them" in a political sense is what opens you up to a question of how Apple would address the two situations if/when they occur. You seem fond of comparisons. It does not seem to me as tho Apple is consistent with "values" and when they choose to promote them, As a result there are some who believe Apple (based on actions not words) would treat one differently than the other. That would imply some of their choices are as much or more for advantageous marketing as "commitment to core values". Yes figure you'll ignore this one too and don't really expect a direct answer, but you asked me to state my point so I have.

Yeah I know I know, Apple respects the law (!?) everywhere they *do business. That leaves out two important words: *Choose to. Yes it's a choice.

But again we don't know for certain why there's the case of the missing app to begin with. Pressure, demand, proactive, and error are all still in play. 
    You have misquoted me multiple times.   If you did that intentionally, then shame on you.   If you did it unintentionally, then learn how to read.  Either way, there is no point in debating you when you start off on that wrong foot.
    No debating, it was two simple questions you aren't willing to answer apparently, but want to blame it all on what you say is misquoting. Multiple times. :/

I guess telling me where and how is problematic for you so it remains unspecific,  but otherwise you would have been happy to answer those two questions. Got it. Maybe another time. 
    edited October 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 32
    lkrupp said:

Is it so difficult to under that:

1. Apple is a Company and is obligated to make money.

In any way and in any place it can? Nope. There is no such obligation. It is a choice.

When China told Apple "your iCloud will belong to us from now on if you want to do business here" Apple could have said no, we won't compromise our principles and become a willing participant in government spying on users. In the US and much of the western world they promote just the opposite of their China choice as core principles. Privacy. Fight government demands. Security above all. 

You don't see any hypocrisy at play? IMO one way you would not is if you always saw it as more marketing and business than core values anyway. If so I might agree with you. 

FWIW I can think of only a handful of times in over 35 years of business where I declined to work with a potential client because of my own "core values". For the most part where's there's money to be made talk to me. But I do have principles and limits. What exactly are Apple's?
    edited October 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 32
    lkrupp said:

OK...  
    You are comparing ILLEGAL immigrants to Hong Kong fighting off a totalitarian regime?! 
    Unreal.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:

OK...  

No debating, it was two simple questions you aren't willing to answer apparently, but want to blame it all on what you say is misquoting. Multiple times. :/

I guess telling me where and how is problematic for you so it remains unspecific,  but otherwise you would have been happy to answer those two questions. Got it. Maybe another time. 
    LOL...  No, I'm just not willing to debate you when you try to base your debate on things I never said or implied.   If that's the only way you can win your debates you probably need to rethink your position.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:

OK...  

LOL...  No, I'm just not willing to debate you when you try to base your debate on things I never said or implied.   If that's the only way you can win your debates you probably need to rethink your position.
    Of course you haven't said. I wouldn't be asking otherwise. There's no debate involved.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 28 of 32
    lkrupp said:

OK...  
    You are comparing ILLEGAL immigrants to Hong Kong fighting off a totalitarian regime?! 
    Unreal.
    Unreal?   Only if you believe the world is black and white -- and we are lilly white saints entitled to make ourselves feel superior by attacking others -- even if the matter is none of our business.   But, the point was (which apparently went right over your head):   the hypocrisy of condemning others for things we do ourselves or would do ourselves -- such as attacking anybody who would provide help to those seeking safety in our country.  
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 29 of 32
    lkrupp said:

OK...  
    Unreal.
    Unreal?   Only if you believe the world is black and white -- and we are lilly white saints entitled to make ourselves feel superior by attacking others -- even if the matter is none of our business.   But, the point was (which apparently went right over your head):   the hypocrisy of condemning others for things we do ourselves or would do ourselves -- such as attacking anybody who would provide help to those seeking safety in our country.  
    Why are you comparing a corporations actions, Apple in this case, to a governments? One makes demands by law while the other has choices.  Is Apple obligated to sell product in China? Other companies do just fine in avoiding it, banking billions AAMOF, unwilling to compromise what would be required to do so.  

BTW, has any US government official commented on the unavailability of the app and why? Seems the whatdabout Trump and howbout dem' bad 'muricans mention of yours is a bit more than a red herring, more the color of scarlet. The entire story had to do with an Apple rejection and/or app removal and the possible reasons behind it. It was not a political manifesto. 

Geesh, no wonder the powers that be here chose to remove the political portion of the forums. 
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 30 of 32
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:

OK...  
    Unreal.
    Why are you comparing a corporations actions, Apple in this case, to a governments? One makes demands by law while the other has choices.  Is Apple obligated to sell product in China? Other companies do just fine in avoiding it, banking billions AAMOF, unwilling to compromise what would be required to do so.  

BTW, has any US government official commented on the unavailability of the app and why? Seems the whatdabout Trump and howbout dem' bad 'muricans mention of yours is a bit more than a red herring, more the color of scarlet. The entire story had to do with an Apple rejection and/or app removal and the possible reasons behind it. It was not a political manifesto. 

Geesh, no wonder the powers that be here chose to remove the political portion of the forums. 
    Tracking police to aid terrorists is a government matter.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:

OK...  
    Unreal.

Geez o'Pete.... ye of great leaping ability. 

FWIW I've often agreed with your posts, several upvotes....

Then there's times like this when you go off on a tangent, won't actually address what's in the article itself, make goofy claims about being misquoted and try to turn the thread into a political diatribe.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 32 of 32
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:

OK...  
    Unreal.

Geez o'Pete.... ye of great leaping ability. 

FWIW I've often agreed with your posts, several upvotes....

Then there's times like this when you go off on a tangent, won't actually address what's in the article itself, make goofy claims about being misquoted and try to turn the thread into a political diatribe.
    It sounds like it is you making this political