Apple launches service program for iPhone 6s, 6s Plus models with 'no power' issues

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2019
Apple on Friday opened a service program for iPhone 6s and 6s Plus models that exhibit issues powering on due to a failed component, the company announced.

iPhone 6

Dubbed the "iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus Service Program for No Power Issues," Apple's new repair initiative covers a limited number of devices manufactured between October 2018 to August 2019.

According to the company, an unidentified component may fail in certain iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus devices, causing a failure when attempting to turn the handset on. Additional details are not offered and Apple says the problem impacts only a "limited serial number range."

Users who believe their iPhone 6s or 6s Plus suffers from the described issue can check eligibility through a serial number checker embedded in the service webpage.

The repair program webpage includes a link to a support document explaining how users can identify their iPhone 6s serial number through the Settings app in iOS, in iTunes or iPhone's original packaging.

Owners of eligible iPhone 6s and 6s Plus handsets can take their device to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or brick-and-mortar Apple Store for assessment. Alternatively, customers can arrange to mail in their smartphone by contacting Apple Support.

The service program does not extend Apple's warranty coverage, though owners who believe they paid for a repair related to the now-covered issue can request a refund. Apple notes the program covers affected devices for two years after first retail purchase.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    My wife’s 6s is working perfectly. Clearly this can’t be an issue. /s

The 6s is getting to be an old phone. I have to wonder at this point how many people shrug and say “well, I guess it finally died” if it didn’t turn on? If my Xs suddenly stopped working I’d be annoyed, but if my wife’s 4 ½ year old phone quit I wouldn’t really complain.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    . Apple notes the program covers affected devices for two years after first retail purchase.
    Huh?   But this is a 4 year old phone!   So, does this problem only impact phones that were made roughly 2 years after the initial release?

Essentially, most owners of the 6S will not be covered here simply because, 2 years ago I don't think Apple was even selling the 6S -- at least not in the U.S.   As I remember, they were selling the X, the 8 and the 7 at that time.  
  • Reply 3 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    MplsP said:
    My wife’s 6s is working perfectly. Clearly this can’t be an issue. /s

The 6s is getting to be an old phone. I have to wonder at this point how many people shrug and say “well, I guess it finally died” if it didn’t turn on? If my Xs suddenly stopped working I’d be annoyed, but if my wife’s 4 ½ year old phone quit I wouldn’t really complain.
    It was manufactured until August of 2019 and the date range for this program is Oct 2018 to Aug 2019. So many of the phones would still be under warranty even without AppleCare. Original iPhone 6s devices would not be covered.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

. Apple notes the program covers affected devices for two years after first retail purchase.
    Huh?   But this is a 4 year old phone!   So, does this problem only impact phones that were made roughly 2 years after the initial release?

Essentially, most owners of the 6S will not be covered here simply because, 2 years ago I don't think Apple was even selling the 6S -- at least not in the U.S.   As I remember, they were selling the X, the 8 and the 7 at that time.  
    “Most” 6S owners are not affected by this issue. Apple knows precisely what component fails and what manufacturing date range it fails in. I can’t remember when or if Apple ever started a program that covered an entire model’s manufacturing life. And as I pointed out in another post a lot of the phones affected are still under warranty. Only 6S phones manufactured between Oct 2018 and Aug 2019 are in this program, NOT all 6S phones.
    GeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 11
    lkrupp said:

“Most” 6S owners are not affected by this issue. Apple knows precisely what component fails and what manufacturing date range it fails in. I can’t remember when or if Apple ever started a program that covered an entire model’s manufacturing life. And as I pointed out in another post a lot of the phones affected are still under warranty. Only 6S phones manufactured between Oct 2018 and Aug 2019 are in this program, NOT all 6S phones.
    So, likely these phones were all sold overseas -- because, if my memory is correct, they haven't been sold in the U.S. for the last 2 years?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Not mine. Mine was bought the same year the 6s came out. I guess that’s a good thing; it shouldn’t have a component failure like the one in this repair program.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Question. If the iPhone isn’t turning on and you don’t have the original box, how are you supposed to get the serial number? 
  • Reply 8 of 11
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Question. If the iPhone isn’t turning on and you don’t have the original box, how are you supposed to get the serial number? 
    I thought that, too. Evidently you can get it from the barcode on back or it’s printed on the SIM tray.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 11
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Battery in iPhone 6s replaced in December last year also has a problem diving from 70% to 20% in 2 minutes. Related?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    ivanh said:
    Battery in iPhone 6s replaced in December last year also has a problem diving from 70% to 20% in 2 minutes. Related?
    Sounds like a defective replacement battery (or a severe drain on the battery). Had a similar problem with a third party repair on a 2008 iPod classic. Third party company replaced the replacement under warranty. Li Ion batteries are fussy about conditions during manufacture. Have heard of very short life if exposed to air too long during part of the manufacturing process (due to a power failure on the assembly line).
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 11 of 11
    ivanh said:
    Blue Lightening said it above.   But, in the meantime, go to battery in the settings and check its strength.  And also try putting into the mode where it will go to low power mode instead of shutting down.   But yeh, it's likely a weak battery.