new info from macbidouille : 2.3GHz !

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.macbidouille.com/niouzcon...003-03-25#5087

basically they say 3 things :

- WWDC has been postponed mainly for the 970

- At WWDC, the new machines will be announced in 3 configs : 1.4Ghz and 1.8Ghz single processor machines, and one 2.3GHz dual.

- available in 6 to 8 weeks by Apple store.

they had benchmarks, but didn't publish (yet) in fear of having their source traced.

Okay. Pop the champagne and start counting your money. All we need to guess now is the price of these macs, especially the dual one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 163
    i think they're just trying to get back at us for the freedom fries with this.
  • Reply 2 of 163
    But IF this holds true.. Then the current G4 lineup should get a massive price cut... *mmMM*
  • Reply 3 of 163
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

But IF this holds true.. Then the current G4 lineup should get a massive price cut... *mmMM*

Apple would practically have to give the current Powermacs away.

I'm assuming that the PPC 970 1.4Ghz system would enter no higher than 1499. Apple would need to blow out the current entry level Powermac for like $1099. Larger cuts may be needed. But who cares...this is the beginning of a new era. Apple can take the hit if they are actually able to hit these speeds.

I still wonder about the Dual 2.3 though. That's alot of heat!
  • Reply 4 of 163
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Fricking A. Wow. If true, I can't wait to email Adobe and ask thjem to update their PC Preferred page benchmarked against Dell. I will be happy with a 1.8ghz so anything above that is pure bonus.
  • Reply 5 of 163
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Apple would practically have to give the current Powermacs away.

I'm assuming that the PPC 970 1.4Ghz system would enter no higher than 1499. Apple would need to blow out the current entry level Powermac for like $1099. Larger cuts may be needed. But who cares...this is the beginning of a new era. Apple can take the hit if they are actually able to hit these speeds.

I still wonder about the Dual 2.3 though. That's alot of heat!

Woooaw! Get real, they WONT sell 2x1.42Ghz for 1499... 2099 maybe.. No less..

Some people dont follow the news, and still buys these machines!
  • Reply 6 of 163
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

The 1.4GHz configuration is a SINGLE processor system.
  • Reply 7 of 163
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    T'hain Esh Kelch

The 1.4Ghz and 1.8Ghz PPC 970s are listed as being Single Processor.
  • Reply 8 of 163
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Some people dont follow the news, and still buys these machines!

Firstly is has never been mentioned a dual 1.4ghz 970. Secondly, I don't think Apple will rasie their base model up to 2099, that's crack rock talking. Apple admitted they need to address pricing, I'd expect to happy with the new pricing as well as 970s.
  • Reply 9 of 163
    -edit- This post belonged in its own topic.
  • Reply 10 of 163
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    What scares me is the prospect of Dell selling DP Xeon setups, for a competitve price. That would cut Apple's sales in half, PM wize.
  • Reply 11 of 163
    gusmangusman Posts: 17member
    I don't have anything to add to this rumor other than I have to believe Apple will push hard for any new PowerMac lineup to include at least 2 GHz just for image and prestige. 2.3 would be awesome!

I want mine today!
  • Reply 12 of 163
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

Firstly is has never been mentioned a dual 1.4ghz 970. Secondly, I don't think Apple will rasie their base model up to 2099, that's crack rock talking. Apple admitted they need to address pricing, I'd expect to happy with the new pricing as well as 970s.

Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

T'hain Esh Kelch

The 1.4Ghz and 1.8Ghz PPC 970s are listed as being Single Processor.

Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

The 1.4GHz configuration is a SINGLE processor system.

Man.. Im being slain..

Sorry.. Thought of the current G4, and imagined the top-end model having a price reduction to 1499...
  • Reply 13 of 163
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    i guess i'd better start saving now eh????

how frigging long have we been waiting for news like this?

sweet!
  • Reply 14 of 163
    clonenodeclonenode Posts: 392member
    Won't these 970 machines be 64 bit? Isn't THAT going to be a major factor in dispelling the Megahertz Myth?
  • Reply 15 of 163
    I don't think they'll do price drops : they know that a large part of the pro consumers are delaying purchase of PMac systems until the 970 comes out. They also know that those consumers will buy these systems, even if they are at the same price as the current G4 machines. Hey : that would mean you get double power for the same price !

My guess is that they'll release the single processor machines at the price of the current duals (my estimate : $1800 for the 1.4 and $2200 for the 1.8Ghz) . And the dual 2.3GHz... well, I think it'll be a $3000 machine at least, probably even $3499.

just look at the reactions in these forums. Most of us are willing to shell out $2000 for a new PMac. Companies with delayed purchase are definitely willing to pay even more. Apple would be nuts to release these machines at $1600 or less. Even if we don't like that.
  • Reply 16 of 163
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by clonenode

Won't these 970 machines be 64 bit? Isn't THAT going to be a major factor in dispelling the Megahertz Myth?

Not exactly, but it will bring with it a nice HYPE(tm) effect.
  • Reply 17 of 163
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Not exactly, but it will bring with it a nice HYPE(tm) effect.

I'm really curious about how Apple will profile this whole 64bit issue. You've got to remember that for most people, 64bit doesn't mean squat. 95% of the users don't need it (yet) and 90% of the users doesn't have the faintest idea what it means.

I wonder if they manage to explain in 5 words to the dummies what 64 bit means for them and why they should buy it. It's not going to be easy, and I would not be surprised if they decide to take the whole 64bit issue off the healines into the techspecs (or at least detail pages) only.

hmm.. now that i look at my post those numbers look silly. To place those percentages in context : did you know that 75% of all consumers constitute 3/4 of the user base ?
  • Reply 18 of 163
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by little dude

I'm really curious about how Apple will profile this whole 64bit issue. You've got to remember that for most people, 64bit doesn't mean squat. 95% of the users don't need it (yet) and 90% of the users doesn't have the faintest idea what it means.

I wonder if they manage to explain in 5 words to the dummies what 64 bit means for them and why they should buy it. It's not going to be easy, and I would not be surprised if they decide to take the whole 64bit issue off the healines into the techspecs (or at least detail pages) only.

hmm.. now that i look at my post those numbers look silly. To place those percentages in context : did you know that 75% of all consumers constitute 3/4 of the user base ?

Even dummies understand that 64 are more than 32. I don't think you have to explain to them why. It's the same deal with the mhz-myth. People expect the highest mhz machine to perform best.

"PowerMac G5: double the bits"
  • Reply 19 of 163
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

Fricking A. Wow. If true, I can't wait to email Adobe and ask thjem to update their PC Preferred page benchmarked against Dell. I will be happy with a 1.8ghz so anything above that is pure bonus.

this makes no sense - why the hell is there a lower Mhz difference between the two slower machines with just one cpu and a 500 Mhz difference to the faster one with two cpus? i think 1.4 single, 1.8 dual, 2.x dual or even 1.4 SP, 1.6 DP and 2.0 DP will make much more sense... ???????????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 20 of 163
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Maybe the big difference in processor speeds will be reflected in the prices (but they will all be duals with the bottom line being a g4+).