'iPhone SE 2' not dead, but won't be the same size as the original says Ming-Chi Kuo

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    melgross said:

melgross said:
    atomic101 said:
    melgross said:

TomE said:
    My wife & others do not want a large iPhone.  They all want an SE2 form factor.  Easy to pocket and easy to hold.  On this - I think Apple has missed the importance.
    Nonsense! While that may be true for a small number of people, putting a phone in a pocketbook gives it a lot of room, even in a small pocketbook. The difference in phone size doesn’t matter. I see people with giant phones in their pockets all the time.

so e people have made up their minds they don’t want big phones, and that’s ok, but the reasons I often see presented are ridiculous.
    Reasons = One-handed use, palm balance, and comfort.  I use an iPhone 8 for work and an SE for home.  The difference is noticeable and can be appreciated in a side-by-side comparison.  My eyes are fine and I can see the smaller screen without much issue, and the beauty of the iPhone has always been the innovative "pinch-to-zoom" functionality that makes what is too small larger.
    Again though, very few people want those small phones. That’s really all it comes down to.
    I think you need to separate screen size from the external form factor.   When all screens had bezels they increased lineraly together.   But the introduction of no-bezel screens changed that equation.   Now we can have both: a larg(er) screen in "small" phone. 

I very much hope that this rumor is false and Apple is not dropping an A13 into an iPhone 8 and calling it an "SE" -- that would be simply propagating what is now obsolete technology.   Putting a no-bezel screen into an SE sized phone gives you both a bigger screen in a smaller phone.
    Except that there is no evidence that enough people want that. Why do you think Apple discontinued the model rather than continuing to update it? If it was so popular, Apple would have known that. But as I said above, those who want these small phones have an outsized representation, because they lurk in all the forums, and come out when this topic comes up. We see a number of people here who are new, and joined just for this topic. It’s the same with the keyboard people. They tried to make it sound that many millions wanted them, but they didn’t. I’m convinced the same is true for a small phone. Some people want one, but not enough.
    The only one I see lurking and coming out all over this post is yourself.  Why so much hatred for this phone?  You have a sizeable percentage of the posts on this topic.
  • Reply 62 of 71
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:

melgross said:
    atomic101 said:
    melgross said:

TomE said:
    My wife & others do not want a large iPhone.  They all want an SE2 form factor.  Easy to pocket and easy to hold.  On this - I think Apple has missed the importance.
    Nonsense! While that may be true for a small number of people, putting a phone in a pocketbook gives it a lot of room, even in a small pocketbook. The difference in phone size doesn’t matter. I see people with giant phones in their pockets all the time.

so e people have made up their minds they don’t want big phones, and that’s ok, but the reasons I often see presented are ridiculous.
    Reasons = One-handed use, palm balance, and comfort.  I use an iPhone 8 for work and an SE for home.  The difference is noticeable and can be appreciated in a side-by-side comparison.  My eyes are fine and I can see the smaller screen without much issue, and the beauty of the iPhone has always been the innovative "pinch-to-zoom" functionality that makes what is too small larger.
    Again though, very few people want those small phones. That’s really all it comes down to.
    I think you need to separate screen size from the external form factor.   When all screens had bezels they increased lineraly together.   But the introduction of no-bezel screens changed that equation.   Now we can have both: a larg(er) screen in "small" phone. 

I very much hope that this rumor is false and Apple is not dropping an A13 into an iPhone 8 and calling it an "SE" -- that would be simply propagating what is now obsolete technology.   Putting a no-bezel screen into an SE sized phone gives you both a bigger screen in a smaller phone.
    Except that there is no evidence that enough people want that. Why do you think Apple discontinued the model rather than continuing to update it? If it was so popular, Apple would have known that. But as I said above, those who want these small phones have an outsized representation, because they lurk in all the forums, and come out when this topic comes up. We see a number of people here who are new, and joined just for this topic. It’s the same with the keyboard people. They tried to make it sound that many millions wanted them, but they didn’t. I’m convinced the same is true for a small phone. Some people want one, but not enough.
    The only one I see lurking and coming out all over this post is yourself.  Why so much hatred for this phone?  You have a sizeable percentage of the posts on this topic.
    If you look at the number of posts I have, you would know that I never lurk. Perhaps you don’t understand what lurk means?

i have no hatred for the SE. that’s your own misinterpretation. I just point out the obvious, which you would know if you bothered to read, and try to understand my posting.

if a lot of people wanted a phone of that size, enough would have been bought for Apple to continue making it. Apple did try with the SE, in response to those saying how much they wanted one. But apparently there weren’t as many as it may have seemed, so Apple discontinued it. It that so hard to understand?
  • Reply 63 of 71
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

melgross said:
    atomic101 said:
    melgross said:

TomE said:

If you look at the number of posts I have, you would know that I never lurk. Perhaps you don’t understand what lurk means?

i have no hatred for the SE. that’s your own misinterpretation. I just point out the obvious, which you would know if you bothered to read, and try to understand my posting.

if a lot of people wanted a phone of that size, enough would have been bought for Apple to continue making it. Apple did try with the SE, in response to those saying how much they wanted one. But apparently there weren’t as many as it may have seemed, so Apple discontinued it. It that so hard to understand?
    You have over 10% of the posts on this thread, repetitively slamming a phone that has sold millions and wanking about people who enjoy that phone.   That is definitely hatred.
    hexo
  • Reply 64 of 71
    hexohexo Posts: 3member
    They can stick their oversized SE 2 where the sun don’t shine. Maybe then they’ll be motivated to make it smaller.

For those who seem inexplicably driven to say that nobody needs small phones, go take your 6” brick phone into a women's clothes store and try to put it into the pants pockets, deep enough that the person would be able to sit down while wearing the pants and not have the phone stab them in the hip. Or, go find a female and put your 200g brick phone in her hand (only ONE hand) and see if she can reach all corners of the phone while still gripping it rather than balancing it precariously. 
    Neither of these things are possible on a iPhone 8 formfactor.

look, maybe small phone folks are outnumbered. Maybe wearables like the watch will make this a moot point anyway. but don’t be a jerk about it? Skimming this thread I’ve literally read comments calling my viewpoint a lie. Go measure pockets in a women’s clothing store you absolute tools. If someone says using a bigger phone causes them physical pain don’t accuse them of lying?!?!?? Maybe they have a disability or an RSI? Either way how about listening to people?
  • Reply 65 of 71
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

melgross said:
    atomic101 said:
    melgross said:

TomE said:

You have over 10% of the posts on this thread, repetitively slamming a phone that has sold millions and wanking about people who enjoy that phone.   That is definitely hatred.
    No, it’s you having trouble with someone disagreeing with your position, and not wanting to see the logic behind it, so you assume it’s hatred..
  • Reply 66 of 71

hexo said:
    They can stick their oversized SE 2 where the sun don’t shine. Maybe then they’ll be motivated to make it smaller.

For those who seem inexplicably driven to say that nobody needs small phones, go take your 6” brick phone into a women's clothes store and try to put it into the pants pockets, deep enough that the person would be able to sit down while wearing the pants and not have the phone stab them in the hip. Or, go find a female and put your 200g brick phone in her hand (only ONE hand) and see if she can reach all corners of the phone while still gripping it rather than balancing it precariously. 
    Neither of these things are possible on a iPhone 8 formfactor.

look, maybe small phone folks are outnumbered. Maybe wearables like the watch will make this a moot point anyway. but don’t be a jerk about it? Skimming this thread I’ve literally read comments calling my viewpoint a lie. Go measure pockets in a women’s clothing store you absolute tools. If someone says using a bigger phone causes them physical pain don’t accuse them of lying?!?!?? Maybe they have a disability or an RSI? Either way how about listening to people?
    If you’re referring to me, then I’ll tell you that it’s not what I’m saying. I have no problem with people wanting a small phone. All I’m saying is that the sales numbers don’t bear out the position that enough want one to make it profitable for Apple to make it.

if some people have a physical problem that makes it difficult to hold a larger phone that’s one thing, but the way you framed it, that didn’t appear to be the case. You just said that some people are having pain in using them. As a general statement, that’s hard to believe. If you said that some people have a physical problem that makes it painful, I wouldn’t have denied that.
  • Reply 67 of 71
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

melgross said:
    atomic101 said:
    melgross said:

TomE said:

No, it’s you having trouble with someone disagreeing with your position, and not wanting to see the logic behind it, so you assume it’s hatred..
    You are not disagreeing.... you are repetitively slamming people who advocate for the 4” form factor:

“Nonsense”, “the reasons I often see presented are ridiculous”, “I think you’re making that up”, “there is no evidence that enough people want that” (I guess millions of unit sales isn’t evidence), “How do you not know that?”

If that’s how you “disagree” with other’s positions don’t act shocked when people call you out for such behavior.
  • Reply 68 of 71
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    bluefire1 said:
    I think a lot of people would buy an iPhone that was the size of the original 2007 version but with updated specs. 
    👋🏻

If I could just get an 5/5s/SE shell with “edge-to-edge” screen (with those sweet rounded corners) & updated camera, that’s all I’d want. 

Face ID would be a bonus, but not a deal breaker. The size is just so sweet. Looks amazing too.
    just cruisin
  • Reply 69 of 71
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

melgross said:
    atomic101 said:
    melgross said:

TomE said:

You are not disagreeing.... you are repetitively slamming people who advocate for the 4” form factor:

“Nonsense”, “the reasons I often see presented are ridiculous”, “I think you’re making that up”, “there is no evidence that enough people want that” (I guess millions of unit sales isn’t evidence), “How do you not know that?”

If that’s how you “disagree” with other’s positions don’t act shocked when people call you out for such behavior.
    You can calm me out all you want. I really don’t care. Th3e fact is that millions is a small number. It doesn’t mean anything. Tens of millions would mean something to Apple. Apple isn’t Samsung. They don’t have dozens of models in all price and size ranges. They’re only interested in a few models, and because of that, they have to have substantial sales, or Apple isn’t interested. That’s obvious, and we’ve discussed this a number of times over the years. So if 5 million people want a small phone, it’s not enough for Apple. If 20 million do, that’s reaching an Apple-like number. I’m sorry if that doesn’t agree with your thoughts, but just look at the phones Apple sells, and the total sales.
  • Reply 70 of 71
    Dear Apple: if you are listening..I will NEVER pay more than a few hundred dollars for a new iphone, and there are so many ways to do it. I laugh my arse off at people that pay over a grand for an iPhone.
    Or Samsung, of ‘huawei, or many others, right?