Final Cut Pro X update paves the way for the Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR

Posted:
in Mac Software edited December 2019
Apple has updated Final Cut Pro X with a new Metal engine and other performance enhancements intended for the new Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR, an update that hints at the upcoming availability of the modular Mac workstation.

Released on Monday, the update bringing Final Cut Pro X to version 10.4.7 has a new Metal-based processing engine for improved playback, as well as accelerating graphics tasks such as rendering, compositing, real-time effects and exports. The engine also includes support for multiple GPUs, the release notes advise, including the Radeon Pro Vega II and Radeon pro Vega II Duo, cards available for the upcoming Mac Pro.

The update includes support for up to 28 CPU cores, equalling the highest configuration possible with the Mac Pro, as well as support for the Afterburner card to accelerate ProRes and ProRes RAW playback. For GPUs, it is possible to select which internal or external GPU is used to accelerate graphics processing, so users can ensure the most powerful one is being employed by the software.

According to Apple, the switch to a Metal-based engine will mean users of the 15-inch MacBook Pro -- the most popular system for Final Cut Pro users -- will see performance gains of up to 20%, while iMac Pro users will see improvements of up to 35%.

There is also extensive support for the Pro Display XDR, Apple's high-quality screen it introduced alongside the Mac Pro. As well as using it as a display or reference monitor, there is also support for up to three Pro Display XDR units in the software, with two used for the Final Cut Pro interface and one for dedicated monitoring.

Apple has also included support for Sidecar in the update, a feature of macOS that enables an iPad to be used as a second display. Sidecar support in Final Cut Pro X is offered both for wired and wireless connections.

There are High Dynamic Range improvements as well, with enhanced color mask and range isolation tools for grading HDR footage, as well as the ability to view HDR video tone-mapped to compatible Standard Dynamic Range displays when used in macOS Catalina.

Apple issued updates for Logic Pro X in June, updating the audio workflow suite in preparation for the new Mac Pro's launch.

There are also updates to Final Cut Pro's companion apps, Motion 5.4.4 and Compressor 4.4.5, with each benefiting from the Metal-based render engine, multiple GPU and 28-core support, and the ability to use the Afterburner card.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Have Final Cut Pro X but never use now, since DaVinci Resolve is functionally like a combination of FCP7 and Shake.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Final Cut Pro X update paves the way for the Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR

So does Motion and Compressor.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Interesting is that AMD announced new GPUs today which oft n happens before a major Apple hardware update.  Could the 16”’MBP be released tomorrow?   Kinda hopeful but on the other hand would expect an event.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

For users without a Pro Display XDR, there is included support for Sidecar, a feature of macOS that enables an iPad to be used as a second display. Sidecar support in Final Cut Pro X is offered both for wired and wireless connections.

I assume that’s not the only way to connect a screen, is it? I was looking for a monitor in the price range of their monitor stand, not a kidney.

• Reply 5 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Looking forward to Apple delivering on a version of Final Cut for iPad. It only makes sense.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

For users without a Pro Display XDR, there is included support for Sidecar, a feature of macOS that enables an iPad to be used as a second display. Sidecar support in Final Cut Pro X is offered both for wired and wireless connections.

I assume that’s not the only way to connect a screen, is it? I was looking for a monitor in the price range of their monitor stand, not a kidney.

You can use any monitor with FCPX. ¯\(°_o)/¯ 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

LOL, Are kidneys not cheaper over there? ;)  That monitor should have just been priced with stand IMHO and discounted without haha.  Either way, it's not on my shopping list yet either.

Meanwhile, my 2013 Mac Pro is just too I/O bound so I have to upgrade.  I have finally decided I am going to get the new Mac Pro and be happy with my Dell 4K for now. Try as I may I can not fit an iMac Pro into my hardware configuration which is a Dell 4K 27" shared between a gaming PC and my 2013 Mac Pro and that sits between two Apple 27" LCD 2K monitors. I use MS DTR to run three Dell Servers headlessly too and they all pop up across all three screens and I can swipe to change them on the magic mouse. The 4K just requires an input change to work on the gaming PC and the side screens stay with the Mac Pro. I have two keyboards and mice.  It all just works.  I was close to the iMac Pro route but they don't allow the screen to be used for another computer. 

I know a Mac Pro is overkill for me in some ways but at least it should last me as long as the 2013 Mac Pro has with the distinct advantage of being upgradeable so should, in fact, last longer. The cost is not bad spread that way in my mind.   It is still half the cost of my Mac IIfx.   I can get a 5K or higher screen down the road when costs come down but I will never need one as good as Apple's for 4K video and Capture One Pro for editing my Sony Alpha photos.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Yet another reason the 2013 Mac Pro is dead to Apple.  H.256 is available as export in 3rd party apps but not in FCPro.

edited October 2019