Apple ceases signing iOS 13.1.1 and older versions following release of iOS 13.1.2

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple on Friday ceased signing of code older than iOS 13.1.1 in relatively short order following this week's release of iOS 13.1.2, an update designed to patch a handful of iPhone-related issues.

iOS 13

Unlike Apple's typical release cycle, today's halt to iOS 13.1.1 code signing arrives just one week after the company issued the point update to close a security hole that granted third-party keyboards "full access" to iOS assets without user approval.

Also patched in iOS 13.1.1 was an issue involving restoring a device from a backup, a battery drain bug, non-functional Safari search suggestions toggle, and a problem that could cause Reminders to synchronize slowly.

In addition to iOS 13.1.1, Apple stopped signing for iOS 12.4.1 released in August, and iOS 13 and 13.1 from September.

The most recent iOS 13.1.2 update saw release on Monday and fixes a flashlight issue, a bug that could result in the loss of display calibration data, a Bluetooth disconnect problem and an iCloud Backup bug. A corresponding iPadOS 13.1.2 version patches the iCloud backup issue and an issue with HomePod Shortcuts.

With the stoppage to code signing, users can no longer download and install iOS 12.4.1, iOS 13, iOS 13.1 or iOS 13.1.1 from Apple's servers. This effectively restricts device owners to iOS 13.1 and iOS 13.1.2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    What exactly does ceasing signing of code for previous IOS versions mean to the average iPhone user?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    bluefire1 said:
    What exactly does ceasing signing of code for previous IOS versions mean to the average iPhone user?
    In a nutshell it means you can no longer downgrade your iOS device to a lower version no matter how much you might want to.
    bluefire1
  • Reply 3 of 6
    zebra_watch00zebra_watch00 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Updated to 13.1.2 today. Description indicates it fixes the disconnect problem. Now Bluetooth is trying to connect (to my hearing aides) CONSTANTLY. That means it turns off my normal microphones - rendering hearing aides useless.  And I want the “old” Health app format back. I hate this new version. And now you tell me I’m stuck with this iOS - no going back?! (Sad face)
    applesnorangesforgot username
  • Reply 4 of 6
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    lkrupp said:
    bluefire1 said:
    In a nutshell it means you can no longer downgrade your iOS device to a lower version no matter how much you might want to.
    Thank you!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Doesn’t this article end with an error? After staying that Apple is not signing 13.1, it says yuh can upgrade to 13.1 and 13.1.2.  I believe that should’ve stated 12.4.2 and 13.1.2. 
  • Reply 6 of 6
    SuewatchownerSuewatchowner Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    So..not sure if this is a watch software error or 13.1.2 problem.  But my series 1 Apple Watch no longer works. The software won’t load o to my phone so I can pair it.  Apple said they’re aware of the issue and working it.  Wonder how long this will take, any ideas?