Here's how the Nike Apple Watch Series 5 stands out

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited December 2019
The Apple Watch Nike Series 5 is now available and it has a few exclusive and unique features that set it apart from the other Apple Watch models. Here is a hands on look at the best features of the fifth-generation Nike Apple Watch.

Exclusive watch faces

With the Series 5, Apple has updated the Nike watch faces available on the Apple Watch Nike.

There is a new face that Apple says was inspired by the classic Nike Windrunner jacket with a clean, colorful interface.

Five unique faces are exclusive to the Nike Apple Watch with the Series 5, including Nike Hybrid, Nike Digital, and Nike Analog.

Windrunner Nike watch face
Windrunner Nike watch face

Each of these faces has quite a bit of customization to truly change their looks so be sure to deep dive into each to see all the available options. As an example, the Windrunner face is part of the Nike Hybrid option and can be either full-screen or contained in a circle.

Nike bands

For the first time, all Nike bands are available a la cart, no longer exclusive to the Nike model.

Reflective thread is throughout the Nike bands
Reflective thread is throughout the Nike Sport Loop

They do still carry a large asterisk though. These very cool bands may be available on their own, but they can only come bundled with the Nike version.

Even using Apple's new Apple Watch Studio, the standard aluminum, stainless steel, titanium, ceramic, and Hermes models aren't able to choose either the Nike Sport Loops or the Nike Sports Bands.

This means if you want the Nike Sports Loop with the reflective fibers or the Nike Sports Band with contrasting-colored holes, you must pick up the Nike Apple Watch or shell out an additional $50.

Nike complications

On those exclusive watch faces, is a non-removable Nike+ complication.

All the Nike faces have a shortcut complication to the Nike Run Club app
All the Nike faces have a shortcut complication to the Nike Run Club app

These complications are essentially shortcuts to the Nike+ Run Club app. If you're a frequent runner, it is a nice convenience to have.

Any other watch face still has the standard Nike complication, but it takes up one of the usable spots.

Series 5 features

Color drains from the watch face when in standby mode
Color drains from the watch face when in standby mode

Of course, Apple Watch Nike also comes with all of the other Series 5 features, including the Always-on Retina Display.

The updated display works with all of the exclusive Nike features, draining them of color as it moves to standby mode versus active.

Most people will appreciate the Always-on Retina Display but anyone who regularly works out will love it even more not having to wake the watch to see the status of their workout.

Where to buy

Apple Watch 5 Nike models are available to purchase from B&H Photo and Nike itself, starting at $399. Sprint is also running a promotion on cellular Nike Apple Watch devices, with savings of 50% off the monthly installments (terms and conditions do apply, please see Sprint for details).

For the latest deals on additional Apple Watch styles, be sure to check out our Apple Watch Series 5 Price Guide.
applesnoranges

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    DavidCinciDavidCinci Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Uhg stop flexing on me with those colorware AirPods, I want them so bad.
    caladaniansuperklotonn2itivguylolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    In a nutshell, no difference in hardware and functionality from an ordinarily Apple Watch.
    bonobobforgot username
  • Reply 3 of 16
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    Don't think I want to wear the Unpatriotic Apple Watch.
    edited October 2019 razorpit
  • Reply 4 of 16
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    ivanh said:
    In a nutshell, no difference in hardware and functionality from an ordinarily Apple Watch.
    And also no difference in price, so an excellent option for those who want the additional watch faces, and especially those who want the Nike bands. I love my Nike Series 4. Would I have spent extra for it? Not at all, but I'm glad it was an option.
    uraharalollivermichelb76watto_cobrachabig
  • Reply 5 of 16
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    roake said:
    Don't think I want to wear the Unpatriotic Apple Watch.
    What?
    Do you mean just the Nike version or all Apple Watches? Or maybe all Apple products? I'm pretty sure the Apple Watch has no opinion on the matter. So, I honestly have no idea what the hell you are talking about. Care to explain?
    superklotonn2itivguyuraharalolliverrandominternetpersonwatto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 6 of 16
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    DAalseth said:

What?
    Do you mean just the Nike version or all Apple Watches? Or maybe all Apple products? I'm pretty sure the Apple Watch has no opinion on the matter. So, I honestly have no idea what the hell you are talking about. Care to explain?
    He is talking about Colin Kaepernick. Please don’t feed the troll. 
    GeorgeBMacbeowulfschmidtAppleishwatto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 7 of 16
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    jdb8167 said:
    DAalseth said:

What?
    That gets a thumbs up!
    razorpit
  • Reply 8 of 16
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Most people will appreciate the Always-on Retina Display but anyone who regularly works out will love it even more not having to wake the watch to see the status of their workout.
    It seems to me that this "always on" feature is being over-sold:  Not because it lacks value but the arguments tend to undermine the functionality of previous versions by suggesting that they are burdonsome because you have to raise your wrist -- or I have even heard people say "shake you wrist".

The display of my Series 4 is on before I have raised my wrist (or rolled my wrist) far enough to see it.   So, while working out, the "always on" would have no benefit for me.
    And, that is not to minimize the value of "always on" -- I can see many times not having to raise your wrist to see the time would be valuable.  But that is unlikely to be the case when working out -- at least any of the workouts that I do.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    jdb8167 said:
    DAalseth said:

What?
    Oh is THAT what he means? That seems like he's stretching logic to the breaking point. Thanks for the info.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    jdb8167 said:
    DAalseth said:

What?
    I'm glad he asked because I was confused too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 688member
    This is why my wife and I keep getting the Nike version. You get extra stuff, for zero extra cost. 

Typed on one knee while wearing Nike running shoes, a Nike Dri-Fit cap, and of course, a Nike Apple Watch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Appleish said:
    This is why my wife and I keep getting the Nike version. You get extra stuff, for zero extra cost. 

Typed on one knee while wearing Nike running shoes, a Nike Dri-Fit cap, and of course, a Nike Apple Watch.
    If you're on your knees what's the watch measuring?

Never mind...../s
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Does anyone know if the Nike complication can be removed on the non-Nike watch faces of the Nike version?  I have another running app I prefer using, but like the Nike bands, and don't want a complication spot taken up unnecessarily.  Thanks
  • Reply 14 of 16
    I just got a Nike Series 5 and am loving it.  There is no permanent Nike complication on the non-Nike faces.  The non-Nike faces seem to be identical to those in non-Nike models.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 15 of 16
    As long as Nike supports that massive toolbag Colin Kaepernick, I won’t be supporting them with any of my purchases.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Can it deliver to Pakistan? I have to gift some one there.