CNET: 10 gig iPod ($499), new LCDs, faster superdrives

ashash
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
<a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1040-865236.html"; target="_blank">http://news.com.com/2100-1040-865236.html</a>;

This was just posted on News.com. New 10 gig iPods, new LCD monitor line, and faster superdrives that Pioneer announced today. It says the new 10 gig iPod's are going to be $499. I can't believe they're not dropping the price.

That's a big mistake.

- Ash

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    ashash Posts: 3member
    Also, like previously rumored, the new iPod will have address book capabilities.

- Ash
  • Reply 2 of 14
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    all i'm hoping for is a remote for my 5gig ipod
  • Reply 3 of 14
    $500 is a litle steep for me. I was going to get one as soon as they came out, but now I *may* wait. I dunno.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Interesting.. 23" LCD... It is curious they are not dropping the price of the current iPod or at least tweaking it (as far as we know) Dang. I just wish Apple would STREAM this keynote!
  • Reply 5 of 14
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It doesn't say Apple won't lower the price on the iPod. Even if it did, it would be by $50 at most. What were you expecting, a miracle $299 price point?

And if this is just a HDD size upgrade, why does the new iPod get an *address book* The old iPod would also get an address book.

Curious...that Pioneer drive announced today is the same drive I've had in my new Power Mac for 1.5 months. DVD read speed goes from 4x to 6x...that's it...big whoop...

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Course not. I was thinking at least a promotion, or lowering by at least 20 bucks... I am not *suprised* either way, but it would be nice to see. What I meant by tweaking, was tweaking the product itself. Sorry.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>It doesn't say Apple won't lower the price on he iPod. Even if it did, it would be by $50 at most. What were you expecting, a miracle $299 price point?</strong><hr></blockquote>

What are Apple's margins on this thing?

and who would pay $500 for an mp3 player??
  • Reply 8 of 14
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    All in all sounds good... I just wish the 10 GB iPod would be cheaper.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Who would pay $400 for an MP3 player with a 5 gig drive holding 1000 songs?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Just checked the Apple store and its got that

"well be back soon" stickie up.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>Who would pay $400 for an MP3 player with a 5 gig drive holding 1000 songs?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah, there's a point hidden in there somewhere.. I just know it.. Why don't you say it rather than hiding it.

Anyway, my response to that would be that $500 seems like just too much money. I don;t know if the market would accept such a high price
  • Reply 12 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by sjpsu:

<strong>

Ah, there's a point hidden in there somewhere.. I just know it.. Why don't you say it rather than hiding it.

Anyway, my response to that would be that $500 seems like just too much money. I don;t know if the market would accept such a high price</strong><hr></blockquote>

$500 is quite a bit of money. Only a couple hundred more can get you the low end CRT iMac.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

$500 is quite a bit of money. Only a couple hundred more can get you the low end CRT iMac.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly. If it does turn out that that is the price, it is going to be very disapointing.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Horned_Frog:

<strong>

Exactly. If it does turn out that that is the price, it is going to be very disapointing.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah I agree with you, but there'll be people that buy it.