Music industry pushing back against Apple Music, Apple TV+ master bundle

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2019
As Apple continues to drive forward with its media ambitions, music labels are starting to again chafe at the iPhone maker's growing power.

Expect to see more of this. Not just the subscription fee slide, but Tim Cook loving it.
Tim Cook disclosing the Apple TV+ pricing per month.

According to sources familiar with the matter, Apple is discussing terms of a all-encompassing bundle for users, placing all of Apple's services like Apple Music and Apple TV+ under one payment. But, a long-time partner and foe, sometimes simultaneously, is reportedly having some issues with Apple's terms.

Some music executives from companies that Apple has had a tumultuous relationship since the dawn of the iTunes Music Store are said to be concerned about margins, should Apple bundle its services in one offering. As is typical with Apple's dealings with the music industry over the years, Apple's plan isn't being universally panned -- some executives are reportedly on-board with an omnibus offer.

Talks are allegedly at an "early stage," according to the report from the Financial Times on Monday.

Reports that Apple was considering a large bundle started surfacing in June 2018. At the time, it was disclosed that Apple was evaluating delivering a comprehensive subscription service that would rival similar plans marketed by Amazon and, to some extent, Netflix.

Apple's revenue from Services is becoming a more important source of revenue for Apple. The company presently makes money from media with Apple Music at $9.99 per month for a individual subscription, Apple News also for $9.99 a month, and Apple Arcade at $4.99 per month.

Another part of what would be included in an "all-Apple" subscriptions bundle is Apple TV+. Apple's streaming video service consists of all-unique content, and will launch on November 1for $4.99 a month. Purchasers of new Apple hardware releases after September 10 will get a year of Apple TV+ service for free.
jahblade

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    lerchclerchc Posts: 12member
    This would be amazing! 

Amazon offer bundles with their music, tv and prime shipping, so Apple should also be able to bundle this way too. They must both have contracts with the same music labels. 

My guess on bundles and pricing:
    $30 for Music, arcade, news, tv and 200gb cloud storage. 
    $40 for family plan with above and 2tb storage.

What do you think it would bundle and cost?

edited October 2019 schlackJaiOh81AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 25
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I’ll never subscribe. If Apple want to keep missing the point of their own business, that’s on them.
    jbdragonlkrupp
  • Reply 3 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    At some point they have to push back IMHO. Otherwise they lose any semblance of control over a media they've created. Music, news and games descend into throwaway with little value, and contents end up driven by what the big techs would like to see and promote.  
    edited October 2019 rogifan_new
  • Reply 4 of 25
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    lerchc said:
    This would be amazing! 

Amazon offer bundles with their music, tv and prime shipping, so Apple should also be able to bundle this way too. They must both have contracts with the same music labels. 

My guess on bundles and pricing:
    $30 for Music, arcade, news, tv and 200gb cloud storage. 
    $40 for family plan with above and 2tb storage.

What do you think it would bundle and cost?

Take it one step further. Let Apple provide you with a current generation phone + apple care + services for $70/month...there will be some takers for sure.
    lerchcAppleExposedlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    gatorguy said:
    At some point they have to push back IMHO. Otherwise they lose any semblance of control over a media they've created. Music, news and games descend into throwaway with little value, and contents end up driven by what the big techs would like to see and promote.  
    I thought the artists created the music? 
    mac_dogMacQcsarthosStrangeDaysanomeentropyslolliverfastasleeplkruppbadmonk
  • Reply 6 of 25
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Anyone know how to disable the Apple News + adverts in iOS? 

No way I’m paying £9.99 a month for news I get for free.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 7 of 25
    saarek said:

CNN news are free....not guaranteed if those news are true or not though. Good luck w free news
    AppleExposedlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Wgkrueger said:
    gatorguy said:
    Yes they did, but few knew about them. The labels created ways to make their music more widely known for a cut of the pie. Radio made real money possible leading to live performances in big venues, and  BMI and ASCAP were created to pay the creators and distributors for radio and jukebox "performances" ...

Then along came big tech with not much to add but saying: We're here to help you... for a little cut of the musicians pie too. Those slices the performer gets to keep are getting mighty small and if the techs had their druthers they would get the lion's share of the profit, the labels right behind them, and maybe a few hundredths of a penny for the guy at the bottom who made it all possible. I don't think steaming has made musicians more monetarily successful, but they certainly helped the techs become richer. 

There's not much money left in "on-air-play", up and coming artists aren't as widely promoted, all we generally hear are the 100 most popular songs at any one time. Steaming and subscriptions hasn't been creative's answer, it's just a way for tech to get a piece. When the Apple's and Google's control more of the media delivery it will become inevitable they become the ones controlling the message.

With little money left in the till for real full-time journalism today, or available for risk-taking on unproven musicians, or investment in highly immersive game development, or profound and original movie/TV ideas, its already creeping up on us. Give it another 5-10 if all goes according to plan. "Your media will be ours." 
    edited October 2019 larz2112rogifan_newmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 25
    saarek said:

Nothing in News+ you get for free. Everything in News you do. 
    AppleExposedlolliverfastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 25
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    This unfortunately seems to be devolving into a business like the cable providers', with all-in "deals" instead of a la carte.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 11 of 25
    dysamoria said:
    I’ll never subscribe. If Apple want to keep missing the point of what I want their own business to be, that’s on them.
    Fixed that for ya.
    AppleExposedlolliverfastasleeplkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Don't anyone expect this to get better for the consumer anytime soon.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    saarek said:

CNN news are free....not guaranteed if those news are true or not though. Good luck w free news
    CNN news is still around?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    CarmboCarmbo Posts: 26unconfirmed, member
    cpsro said:
    This unfortunately seems to be devolving into a business like the cable providers', with all-in "deals" instead of a la carte.
    If the bundle is offered in addition to the individual services, there is no down side. 
    AppleExposedlolliverfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    matrix077 said:
    saarek said:

I don’t want to see ads pushing me, within the Apple News App, to sign up for News+. The question was is there a way to disable it?

Since I upgraded to iOS 13 the ads have increased dramatically. I don’t care for magazines nor paid for news papers.
    Worldspinning
  • Reply 16 of 25
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Arcade wasn't mentioned but, since Apple owns their own TV+ content couldn't they pay record labels/artists the exact same and take a smaller cut on their own content? I believe Apple will own some Arcade content as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    cpsro said:
    Cable stations likely won’t ever work a la carte because the more popular stations carry the water for the less popular. There are articles about it. The model uses bundling to make them viable. Remove the bundling and a lot of stations will cease to exist and others will be expensive. Basically what’s happening with streaming services, pick what you want but it costs. 

Fine for me tho, most all of cable is garbage. I’d rather pay selectively for premium channels as I am. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 25
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    dysamoria said:
    I’ll never subscribe. If Apple want to keep missing the point of their own business, that’s on them.
    The business is growing. And they are missing it? LOL
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 25
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member

gatorguy said:
    Wgkrueger said:
    gatorguy said:
     I don't think steaming has made musicians more monetarily successful, but they certainly helped the techs become richer. 
    At least I am paying for music now. Not before that. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    saarek said:
    matrix077 said:
    saarek said:

I don’t want to see ads pushing me, within the Apple News App, to sign up for News+. The question was is there a way to disable it?

Since I upgraded to iOS 13 the ads have increased dramatically. I don’t care for magazines nor paid for news papers.
    Yes, you can disable the ads for only $9.99/mo. 
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra