DVD audio woes

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I know that the apple dvd player has audio problems, but I am wondering if there is anything I can do to fix it... I was watching Forrest Gump last night, and sometimes the volume just seems to drop unexpectedly. I'll turn it up, but after ohh, 15 minutes it drops again, and it isn't that the volume indicator shows a drop, i can just hear a drop..

For instance if I had the sound all the way up, i would hear a drop, but it won't go any louder, because it is still all the way up. I have a G4 867 quicksilver, with a superdrive, and i was using headphones.

This also has happened with MANY other discs I've played...

Is there anything I can do?

<edit>

Also, I tried to search apple insider, but it won't search with DVD because the shortest word has to be 4 letters, and i couldn't think of a better way to refine the search.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsfmark

... I was watching Forrest Gump last night, and sometimes the volume just seems to drop unexpectedly.

I think it's 'cause he talks funny.

Seriously, what machine/OS are you using? Maybe it can't keep up.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    Quote:

I have a G4 867 quicksilver, with a superdrive, and i was using headphones.

I am using os 10.2.4 with 640 ram. I am getting another 512 ram module next week, that should help, but still, it seems like its not that...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    Quote:

I am using os 10.2.4 with 640 ram. I am getting another 512 ram module next week, that should help, but still, it seems like its not that...

To fix this issue I would use VLC

VLC Download Link

I've found it better then Quicktime and Apple's DVD Player in most respects. Its free and it even can play mpeg-2 contenent without the $20 apple quicktime component. Not too shabby I must say

A@ron